No announcement yet.

Bluetooth speaker build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good. I "wood" (pun intended) recommend that when you build the final enclosure, the material you use that will frame the removable panel should be hardwood. It looks like in the pic they might be MDF. If you are using wood screws to hold the back on those will pull through the MDF. They wont if they are hardwood. If using a machine type fastener you should be good to go.

I like the shape and size much better with the electronics on the inside.

Did you PM me about the input plates? Another member did. I have the last of the Erse 3x5 blank input plates...the ones they will not remove from their site and state are out of stock. They will not be getting anymore in...ever. They are really good for mounting the KAB external items - LEDs, switches, volume control, etc.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

So I had a little time on my hands, and some bits of leftover wood, so I started on a couple of enclosures..

This one will have Rhino Liner type finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	77HVloV32QGPdLPxEDoGszuOw33VhhegZnfHmhdv9UdKpCzB_SMmEr_KJQJ-Zg-Q56Zi1-bZHtJvzcOyF0gaBA583jSqbgLOYRZL-QV1EwBnKYw0Glil7XOY5krN_aRXr7hA764ACIMkUD0xVsEmR7U1dyvu07sCZmPgQYBhCnpGMYkKkwWA6IvB7O8u-IrEu8a00Zz0q9DheU6GgFpB3AxZBRJ4PhIxzvSJywCW2JLrS5YyHZY9Wi9ewf3ZfAb
Views:	3
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1355375

Walnut and Ash

Name:	lMWxMTe7JSEz-W4ZsLycjbsHybjVL91d0gBfmYK--p6Sdv_6ziz-lrgzKI0e4uKgwjF8pgU_zoV89dc_VGBekcBgC0lFdarnqjKQu-sgRPdr2arqB1glONG_XSsrPO3dVxGKNHgywXq-OnoYRSJeH7aTLoDEkZfvMhOEVuAr6MAykuQEx5rgsZ0srhLCnUm-xQiJsJbrVdBJ9sEnIaiPKig5uW49nssXOXJvh6Sj4HYJCHLXA7-ckiBBf85xFBU
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1355377

Walnut and Spalter Irish Beech

Name:	20to4eMxiWBphoWO0XKLVY9jKGi3frksUFajXTQBBnd4QQtgGgAFG9nC9HKfZReB8RKnrNRyCGXA7IcjgGIcbb0fBnrjv6rZod9u2V32G_rYswUtvnzA903GCkU3fXyBRd6RNiNq71AKD-Rh_SNYz7RTJSdlfY-obujxuJazUWyG3R6UolFJkdG3r3fmKS0bZGaQK3s47wPWk1Q3RbY-WkfV4OSWovK5VW9ggv559yGzaT8p3MwwNwBIWRjAqH6
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1355378

I do like the spalt, but with so much to cut out I think I will go with the Ash.
      Attached Files

Comment

A little progress, just th crossovers left to build and install...

Name:	Wk06YcRyYOFHq17B4ay8ZGNJ1442fb67HcT9teKjObjKT9nwkoQw4mrRFNxYvA126lwvkJ-ZRM_GVkeVe57esttsrUa_3Qnqi-_ZuhqqEhtttPOwz3zKWlCgdhAr-y6jm-KVyjBwXYk2Pgy4g7oLwf7cy2VUwDB3mr285vodn67g9EOTYPmLMrUJpA3HMCoYPPs-PyOjliwZn7mzCdPlk3S8GHDITG9NwufkSruInuca6DFEYd8Y6J81a3jVS1G
Views:	2
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1356381

Comment

So I've been using this for a few days now and love it!

A few questions;

Do the batteries continue to charge with the amp unit switched off?

The green charge led seems to be of little use, does it go off when the batteries are fully charged?

At high volume on songs with a lot of bass and vocals at the same time I'm getting king of "warbling" on the vocals. Is it just that the speakers cant quite cope with some bass filled songs? (think Bjork, Hyper Ballad)

Also at high volume on some songs I get what kinda sounds like a muffled didgeriedoo sound form the vent ports, is this turbulance and if so how do I cure it?

Sorry about the silly descriptions and thanks for your advice..

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesbil View Post
            So I've been using this for a few days now and love it!

A few questions;

Do the batteries continue to charge with the amp unit switched off?

The green charge led seems to be of little use, does it go off when the batteries are fully charged?

At high volume on songs with a lot of bass and vocals at the same time I'm getting king of "warbling" on the vocals. Is it just that the speakers cant quite cope with some bass filled songs? (think Bjork, Hyper Ballad)

Also at high volume on some songs I get what kinda sounds like a muffled didgeriedoo sound form the vent ports, is this turbulance and if so how do I cure it?

Sorry about the silly descriptions and thanks for your advice..

Pretty sure the batteries charge with the amp off. If you leave it plugged with the amp off is the light on? And if yes, if the light doesn't go out in 24 hrs, then it doesn't indicate the batteries have full charge as 24 hrs should top them off.

At high volumes ... the nd90 is working very high to produce bass in the 40 hz range. You can only get so much out of 3.5" driver when producing bass in that range. The excessive low frequency cone movement is present with other frequencies likely causing the warbling. And at at those volumes your likely exceeding the drivers xmax - taking it out of its linear range. As for the ports, same issue, your producing enough airflow from the bass at high volumes to cause "chuffing". Rounding the exit of the port can help with that.

Comment

Great, I kinda figured it was those reasons. So basically the volume control exceeds the speakers max. I will make a "max" mark at about 3/4 at the volume knob.

As for charging, the with power plugged in but amp off, there are no lights on.

Comment

Great, I kinda figured it was those reasons. So basically the volume control exceeds the speakers max. I will make a "max" mark at about 3/4 at the volume knob.

As for charging, the with power plugged in but amp off, there are no lights on.
                Sorry, should have asked which LED your viewing. See below ...

Name:	KAB LEDs.png
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1357174

Comment

The green LED for charge indicator.

Comment

The green LED for charge indicator.
                    Nothing in the manuals indicates if the batteries charge with the amp off. I sent an email to the boards OEM.

Comment

THe "warbling" sound is called Intermodulation Distortion." It's what happens when a single driver is being expected to produce very low bass, and treble at the same time. The cone is flapping wildly with bass, while simultaneously making tiny vibrations for treble. It's sort of a "doppler" effect. Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it. You're up against the laws of physics.

The didjeridoo sound is probably port chuffing. The ways to cure it would be use a larger diameter port (which would then need to be longer, and might not fit), or round over the edges, inside and outside. This might also not be possible, either. Again, some compromises needed to be made for a speaker this size. I really hope you are happy, otherwise.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Its a great speaker Paul, thanks for the design!

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                          Nothing in the manuals indicates if the batteries charge with the amp off. I sent an email to the boards OEM.
                          "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                          The Roxster
                          Swopes 5.0
                          Acoustic Panels
                          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                            THe "warbling" sound is called Intermodulation Distortion." It's what happens when a single driver is being expected to produce very low bass, and treble at the same time. The cone is flapping wildly with bass, while simultaneously making tiny vibrations for treble. It's sort of a "doppler" effect. Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it. You're up against the laws of physics.
                            ​It could be caused also by the driver passing Xmax. Our ears are less sensitive to distortion at bass frequencies, but lower BL does equal less output, so the output at other frequencies will vary if the bass that the driver is trying to produce drives the cone beyond Xmax. It's easy to test - just push in the cone with a finger while playing a 1kHz tone through it. If the tone suddenly decreases in volume before it becomes considerably harder to move the cone further, then that might be the cause of what he's hearing. I remember reading somewhere that the best midbass drivers are designed so that the suspension brings the cone to a halt before BL has diminished significantly, just to minimize this effect from happening - as we are more likely to notice the modulating effect than distortion at bass frequencies.

Brian Steele
                            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                            X