XT19TD00-04 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XT19TD00-04 question

What are your general thoughts on this tweeter?
    How low can I take the Peerless/Vifa XT19TD00-04 tweeter?
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Leon, I used the XT19 in a couple of designs quite a few years ago and really liked it, but the version you can buy today may not be quite as good, although I don't know that it isn't, just a bit suspicious. "Mark K" tested the original and IIRC, said it could easily be crossed at 2.5 kHz but has the advantage of better dispersion than a 1" dome tweeter. BTW, you haven't responded to the last 2 emails I sent you after you asked me for some design help?
    Paul

Comment

Thanks for your input Paul. I didn't receive the emails.
      Website

Comment

I believe I've seen it recommended at 3kHz HP, and that it was a close second to the Hiquphon in their opinion. Whom that was I can't recall, but that is high praise. I liked it in Paul's Alicantes back in 2005, IIRC.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I replied to the email you just sent me, then I re-sent those two emails.
          Paul

Originally posted by gowa View Post
          Thanks for your input Paul. I didn't receive the emails.

Comment

Yep, Ben, it was in my Alicante but in 2006 according to the dates on all the drawings and modeling sheets. Rick Craig did the crossover design and in the info about it he sent, there wasn't a screen shot showing the individual driver responses via the crossover, so I can't determine exactly where the XT19 was crossed to the MDM55, but I suspect it was 3 kHz or higher.
            Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            I believe I've seen it recommended at 3kHz HP, and that it was a close second to the Hiquphon in their opinion. Whom that was I can't recall, but that is high praise. I liked it in Paul's Alicantes back in 2005, IIRC.

Later,
            Wolf

Comment

These are in my Aengles build first with passive XO and now active. In both cases I cross at 2700 and no issues. As others have said, excellent dispersion and high value tweeter.

Comment

I had the Hiquphon OW1 in my last box system 3-way years ago, my favorite system before my current dipoles, but while trying out the Soundeasy digital filter, I forgot that the default restart setting was 50% (I'd been using amps set for 10%) and it blew both tweeters on a restart (Bohdan changed that afterwards). I had a pair of the original XT19 tweeters on hand and they were almost a drop in replacement for the OW1. I used them for quite some time and found them to be almost identical to the OW1, but the latter had slightly more "air", if you want to call it that. Some say it may be more 3rd harmonic distortion in the OW1 giving that impression, the XT is better in the distortion department, but to me they are so close that I would easily recommend the XT19 simply due to the price differential. I used it LR2 @3K.

Wow, I just noticed the PE is selling them for under $24 right now. That's a steal in my book unless something has changed in the production quality department.

These were my measurements on my large baffle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xt19_offaxis.gif
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1354848

dlr
                WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Comment

nice tweeter , crossed @ 3.5K here

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                      I had the Hiquphon OW1 in my last box system 3-way years ago, my favorite system before my current dipoles, but while trying out the Soundeasy digital filter, I forgot that the default restart setting was 50% (I'd been using amps set for 10%) and it blew both tweeters on a restart (Bohdan changed that afterwards). I had a pair of the original XT19 tweeters on hand and they were almost a drop in replacement for the OW1. I used them for quite some time and found them to be almost identical to the OW1, but the latter had slightly more "air", if you want to call it that. Some say it may be more 3rd harmonic distortion in the OW1 giving that impression, the XT is better in the distortion department, but to me they are so close that I would easily recommend the XT19 simply due to the price differential. I used it LR2 @3K.

Wow, I just noticed the PE is selling them for under $24 right now. That's a steal in my book unless something has changed in the production quality department.

These were my measurements on my large baffle:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1354848[/ATTACH]

dlr
                      I'd like to go lower to about 2.1k - 2.2k. with steep slope. I think it will do it. Your thoughts?
                      Website

Comment

I'd like to go lower to about 2.1k - 2.2k. with steep slope. I think it will do it. Your thoughts?
                        Take a look at Seas 22TAF/G. I think this is the next best thing to a Hiq. I don't think the XT19 is close to the Hiq. I have had them side by side, and while the XT is good, it is now Hiquphon.the Seas is very close.
                        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

It may depend on how much power you intend to apply. 2K is a bit low for a 19mm tweeter, but I would consider it because I seldom ever crank out rock at concert level sound. LR4 would be minimum of course for 2k. I think it might even hold up better then the Hiquphon despite the smaller surface area due to the better motor hence better distortion control, but long term power (heat) is a concern. I can't provide any sort of test data to confirm any of this.But my usage was LR2 @3K.

Comparing them, LR2 @3k vs LR4 @2k, they are both down ~15db @1400Hz. Below that the [email protected] is better. Above that, The [email protected] is better, literally all the way to 20k. For example @3K where the LR2 is down 6db (of course), the LR4 is down only 2db, so the [email protected] will without doubt reach higher distortion earlier than the LR2 @3k.

That said, what's interesting is another comparison, LR2 vs LR4, both @3k. Below the 3k Fc, the LR4 is far better as you would expect, but above that the LR2 is better. Given the unpredictable music power and the fact that there is no case of "all else being equal", LR4 @2k may hold up fine with the exception of earlier onset of distortion. The other key aspect is long term power. The LR2 will likely suffer more due to the reduced level of attenuation in the upper midrange/ low treble, so tweeter fatigue/heat failure is a concern.

Clear as mud?

dlr
                          WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                          X