Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tritrix MTM TL Complete! Thanks to the Forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tritrix MTM TL Complete! Thanks to the Forum.

Mission success! Thanks for the help on deciding not to venture from the specified drivers. These things sound great in my little finished basement listening area! The baffles are finished with maple veneer and spar urethane. The sides and back are Behr Premium Plus Ultra exterior satin enamel. I'm really happy with the mid-range and tweeter detail. I could use a little more bass response for some of the more modern music I listen to, but I'm really digging the precision. Next step might be a standalone woofer (12"-15") to fill in the gaps.

Sorry for the photo issue, no matter how I rotate it outside the forum interface, it loves this orientation.

Next project: PE woofer kit, or resurrecting my grandfather's Monkey Coffins:
    Last edited by Jason_The_Angry; 12-02-2017, 03:09 PM.

They came out very nice. Enjoy.

The shelf unit next to the Tritrix would make a nice flat pack when you want to construct your own baffle.

Comment

Looks nice and clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

The shelf unit next to the Tritrix would make a nice flat pack when you want to construct your own baffle.
        The Boss likes those shelves for storage. I will need to procure new materials, unfortunately. My experience with MDF is limited, but this effort showed me that dealing with veneers can be a tricky business. Jeff was complementary, and I appreciate it, but closer inspection reveals the defects. Luckily, I'm not trying to sell them, and it's not like the room is an art gallery!

Anyway, despite the compromise in material properties, the new large floor speakers might be made with plywood and better bracing. I'm less likely to have some of the wood finishing challenges with the plywood. The most difficult thing for me will be attempting a three way crossover for the first time. The knowledge of the experts around here is intimidating to say the least. My concern is related to the amount of effort it wiil take to tweak the component values to arrive at a sound I'm pleased with.

I don't have any of the basic spectrum analysis tools at this time. We shall see. Cabinet design first.....

Comment

I had a whole 5.1 Tritrix system with TL mains, vented center and TM surrounds. Excellent sound from budget drivers. Sub is needed, PE has flat pack MDF sub boxes of good quality.

I gutted a pair of Pioneer cabs and made some Econowaves, I can link the thread if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            I had a whole 5.1 Tritrix system with TL mains, vented center and TM surrounds. Excellent sound from budget drivers. Sub is needed, PE has flat pack MDF sub boxes of good quality.

I gutted a pair of Pioneer cabs and made some Econowaves, I can link the thread if you like.
            djg,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thinking of building a 12' or 15" sealed subwoofer from the PE knockdown kits with a 500W plate amp in the back. I've been reading a bit about stereo vs. mono subwoofers, and there is a lot of conflicting info. From a sheer footprint standpoint, I'm not sure I can swing dual 15" cabinets at the moment.

As for the Econowaves, I'll do some reading (found on the ole' Google machine). Part of my current plan was to use the tweeters and mids from the upgrade I attempted a few months ago. I was going to try and recreate the basic look of the vintage speakers, but with some modernization. In some ways, it's paying tribute to my grandfather who was an amateur audiophile. He loved the big speaker boxes!

Comment

I don't know if that old speaker has a 12 or 15 inch woofer, but here's a design using inexpensive components from "a well known designer". Might fit your old cabs. Much cheaper than an Econowave.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ed-3-way/page2

Comment

I think some of those examples in the thread are in the ballpark. The issue I'm having is that the original cabinets are vintage 70's Fisher Audio by Sears. Not exactly high end, even for the time. Particleboard construction with vinyl veneer. I'm not sure they're worth saving, other than the cost and time associated with building new ones. In addition:

I ran some quick numbers with a more modern 15" woofer (Dayton DC380-8), and I'd say the current cabinets aren't exactly sized appropriately, or perhaps they were for the existing woofers. Right now, they're about 3.9 ft^3, with a 3.75" port that's about 8" long. My first estimate at a new cabinet with the Dayton driver was around 5.3 ft^3, with a 6" port about 17.7" long.

Comment

Jason curious how the sub build out went? I just finish my first speaker build with the Tritrix mtm towers. They sound fantastic. They don't look as purty as yours as I'm still deciding on how to finish them.

Comment

Who put the truncated Dayton silk domes in the coffins? Are the mids new (Dayton DS series maybe?) too?

Comment

ZOMBIE THREAD. JUST IN TIME FOR HALLOWEEN

Originally posted by robmoakland View Post
                      Jason curious how the sub build out went? I just finish my first speaker build with the Tritrix mtm towers. They sound fantastic. They don't look as purty as yours as I'm still deciding on how to finish them.
                      I ended up with a Parts Express 15" Ultimax kit with a 500W plate amp. Excellent value, and sounds great. However, it was too large for the space where the MTM's were. I moved it to the room where my main living area is.

I'm in the middle of a bookshelf project right now, so no more subs until I finish those. A pair of compact and efficient 10" woofers would be pretty cool....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Who put the truncated Dayton silk domes in the coffins? Are the mids new (Dayton DS series maybe?) too?
                        Good eye. Those are the DSA135-8's. I put those in as an experiment. Before I started to try and learn about design, I just purchased some speakers that fit in the existing holes with the same Ohm values. Needless to say, failure on all fronts. The crossovers and the cabinets were nowhere near optimal, and I ended up with a really muddy and terrible sound.I scrapped those cabs and harvested the parts for the new bookshelves I'm working on.

Comment

Working...
                        X