3D printing applications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printing applications

I am looking at the application of 3D printing as it relates to speaker building.

Spacers can easily be made to separate/ protect drivers while in storage.

​Waveguides are the obvious candidate. I have seen full enclosures done for small speakers but I think complex curves/compound shapes and baffles are the best application.
    ​For an enclosure think 3d printing the front and rear panels while building the sides out of wood seems like the best compromise.
    ​I envision printing the baffle as a hollow shell and filling it level with liquid resin.. PLA would be easier to work with but ABS can have a smooth/finished surface after its smoothed with acetone soo you can skip the painting/finishing stage.

​Decorative/aesthetic trim rings would be another easy application. Thoughts?

I'm using 3d printing for a set of trim rings which double as a grill (similar look to hob pan supports) Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Printing custom name plates, terminal plates port ends and trim rings all come to mind. It might be an easy way to mount a odd shaped frame if you printed an adapter of sorts.

I also think it would be cool if someone were to print the baffle that had the tweeter face plate molded into the surface. Mount the tweeter from behind and you would have a very clean looking baffle.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
        Printing custom name plates, terminal plates port ends and trim rings all come to mind. It might be an easy way to mount a odd shaped frame if you printed an adapter of sorts.
        Custom flared ports of any diameter and length, good idea and pretty easy to do.

In my more ambitious moments I was thinking of building a little nautilus enclosure for the B3Ss I've had on my shelf doing nothing for way too long for the heck of it.
        Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8967.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1355147
          These were in Grinnell in October (Overnight Sensations purty sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            These were in Grinnell in October (Overnight Sensations purty sure).
            Didn't these star in a Pixar film.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixar.png
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1355184

Comment

Working...
            X