Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner how to physically time 3-way speakers with horns ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have any audio measuring gear? A computer and a microphone (even a cheap one, although a good one will be much better) can get you up and running. You might even be able to use one of those mics that home theater receivers use to calibrate. A mic and a program called HOLM Impulse (free) can get you time alignment using its "time lock" feature. This program can also measure your drivers frequency response.

Comment

Not to further dissuade your interest in building a three-way, but for nearfield listening on a desk, a two-way would be a much more appropriate configuration as sitting .5m away may not provide enough distance for all the drivers to sum properly. Also, most three-ways are much bigger than would normally fit on a desk.

Before you spend days and days and months trying to get what you have to sound OK (it might never unless you are able to measure them), spend $100 on some C-notes. Just to get a proper measurement mic is at least $70.

Comment

The nice things about kits are 1) they are widely loved proven designs so they will sound good and represent value above their price. 2) if you have never assembled an enclosure, crossover, etc., it will give you that 101 experience.

The down sides to kits is that if you wanna roll your own they teach you nothing about design and concept. You might see the driver spacing, inductor layout, port size and location, etc, but have no idea why it is or how to apply this.

I think we are too quick to push people to kits. It is the easy way but is not the way if you want to further your skills.

My suggestion is roll your own, but start small and simple. Horns add complexity as does a three way (more than you would think). Do a basic two way TM. Pick some drivers you think will overlap enough and want to use (and that have response and impedance charts - Dayton drivers are ideal because they are typically high quality and have full, relatively accurate, response files available for download). Download some freeware from one of the people on this site, start a build thread, ask for help, and work through your project. There is a lot to learn but once you know and do it once you can progress your designs. You can buy a mic but donít need that investment right away for basic designs with reliable fr files. Get your feet wet by building a modeled design, and if it has you hooked, buy a mic and expand your abilities.
        Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
        Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
        References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
        Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
          The nice things about kits are 1) they are widely loved proven designs so they will sound good and represent value above their price. 2) if you have never assembled an enclosure, crossover, etc., it will give you that 101 experience.

The down sides to kits is that if you wanna roll your own they teach you nothing about design and concept. You might see the driver spacing, inductor layout, port size and location, etc, but have no idea why it is or how to apply this.

I think we are too quick to push people to kits. It is the easy way but is not the way if you want to further your skills.

My suggestion is roll your own, but start small and simple. Horns add complexity as does a three way (more than you would think). Do a basic two way TM. Pick some drivers you think will overlap enough and want to use (and that have response and impedance charts - Dayton drivers are ideal because they are typically high quality and have full, relatively accurate, response files available for download). Download some freeware from one of the people on this site, start a build thread, ask for help, and work through your project. There is a lot to learn but once you know and do it once you can progress your designs. You can buy a mic but don’t need that investment right away for basic designs with reliable fr files. Get your feet wet by building a modeled design, and if it has you hooked, buy a mic and expand your abilities.
          This is also great advice - there are so many people here who can help, but I think for this to be an exercise that will be valuable to you AND end up with a great pair of speakers, start with a 2 way (woofer and tweeter) of dayton drivers (because they have the measured files ready to download) and then you can learn about all of the items Chris Roemer mentioned in one of his earlier posts. Chris will even help you along A LOT (he's a very very helpful and knowledgable guy).

With what info you have given us regarding your drivers and enclosures, I'd recommend starting over with dynamo 's advice OR giving a kit a try.

Comment

Dang you guys are good ! I have been reading these posts every night . Especially trying to comprehend the graphs , and I think I'm on the edge of an Epiphony (sp) ;-) I looked at the Dayton's and Eminence and I see the smooth progression and the spikes and troughs of the Eminence . The eminence is all over and "BAM" , to me it's like a long Desert Race versus a 1/4 drag race . Smooth in the Desert and Squirrelly on the track . I know that's oversimplifying , but I get it easier . I looked into returning the other drivers and I stand to loose money . So I'm going to compromise for now . Get some cheap x-overs and finish these . Then ,, invest in the Daytons' and a good mid high and do a simpler 2-way with a better set of x-overs maybe with some help here , build my own . But I need to "go to school" and get this stuff hammered into my noggin a bit more securely . I have to admit , I was a bit disgusted in my attempts , figuring I could have bought a nice pair of speakers for what I've got here . But , it was cool building and then disassembling them again . Thanks you all for your input , I really appreciate it . I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and are safe . I'm not gone but I do need to learn what I can .
            Steve

Comment

Eminence are pro-sound drivers, optimized for maximum sensitivity, at the expense of low frequency extension and smoothness of response. In their intended usage that's not a problem. They can be used in non-pro applications, if the speaker design is very well executed, but that requires a skill set only acquired with years of experience.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

This is a good place to start reading. Why no one ever links this I don't know? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...building-bible

Comment

Working...
                X