No announcement yet.

Is to tight fit a problem for drivers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is to tight fit a problem for drivers?

Finished installing my drivers in the latest project and they are a relatively tight fit. I used Baltic birch for the baffle. In order to remove the drivers I've had to thread a bolt and lift out (with some force).

Wondering if this a situation where I should sand to slightly increase the diameter?

Thanks for the help!

Frames can bend and twist - especially stamped frames - so yes, you can create issues by forcing drivers into cutouts that are marginally too small.

Comment

This is what I've done to re-route driver holes that were not big enough.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1355288

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Fortunately I won't have to go back to the router, they are tight but fit. A few minutes with the sanding wheel on the Dremel will make it looser, I was just wondering for acoustic reason to tight would be an issue.

Comment

If it's winter, low humidity where you are I would not worry about it. On a hardwood baffle with cast frame drivers I'd be more concerned. If you haven't painted yet you might consider sanding. On plastic frame tweeters I've had good luck sanding the bottom inside edge of the frame to gain more space.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by sjm1580 View Post
            Fortunately I won't have to go back to the router, they are tight but fit. A few minutes with the sanding wheel on the Dremel will make it looser, I was just wondering for acoustic reason to tight would be an issue.
            ​Is the thru hole too tight or the recess of the outer frame. Easy fix if it is the thru hole, but if is for the outer frame, dcibel's suggestion looks to be a good solution.

Comment

Working...
            X