O.T. Schiit Yggdrasil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Schiit Yggdrasil

Does anyone own a schiit audio yggdrasil or have experience listening to one? I'm looking for a new dac to use with an oppo player as a transport. I currently have a philips 963s a, oppo 93, oppo 103, project cd box, and a peach tree dac-it, and i'm not completely happy with any of them. The yggdrasil seems to get good reviews, but honestly so do some prominent speaker manufactures that I don't care for. I may wait for axpona so that I can actually hear one, but that option isn't perfect,I'd be listening to a system i'm not familiar with. The rest of my system is fairly modest consisting of an aragon 8008 amp, klyne audio arts preamp, and a rega 6 with hana sl cartridge.

I haven't heard the Yggdrasil but I own a PeachTree and don't really care for it either. I do like my Marantz CD6005 as a CDP using the analog outs though. I know that doesn't really answer your question though.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
      Does anyone own a schiit audio yggdrasil or have experience listening to one? I'm looking for a new dac to use with an oppo player as a transport. I currently have a philips 963s a, oppo 93, oppo 103, project cd box, and a peach tree dac-it, and i'm not completely happy with any of them. The yggdrasil seems to get good reviews, but honestly so do some prominent speaker manufactures that I don't care for. I may wait for axpona so that I can actually hear one, but that option isn't perfect,I'd be listening to a system i'm not familiar with. The rest of my system is fairly modest consisting of an aragon 8008 amp, klyne audio arts preamp, and a rega 6 with hana sl cartridge.

which Klyne preamp ? the Schiit is a great unit. i would have to consider two others though. the Benchmark media systems dac2 hgc, and the nad m51. both are cheaper and i think a step up. the Benchmark is as good as it gets. you would have to spend a lot more money to get better. it also is $ 2000.00, so you can save a little money and get me a Christmas present for hooking you up. i would go with the Benchmark because of how neutral Klyne preamps are. i just think this would be the better match with your system.
      Last edited by craigk; 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. My Klyne is a sk-6 with the optional phono board, which I have had for a really long time. I had considered the Benchmark and the Mytek, but I may grab a nad since it is way cheaper. Food for thought.

Comment

The Mytek is an MQA decoder, so that could swing your choice. Also- member skvinson has a Bifrost which I've heard through an Anthem AVM-20 and Rotel 100x2. It sounds good enough running Tidal streaming that I didn't have any complaints.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I would spend some time listening to a few implementations of different chips. If done right, different chips have a house sound and you should decide what you want

For example, I own an Arcam irDAC (TI PCM1796) and a Nuprime Dac-10H (ESS Sabre 9018). Level matched from same source (USB) its impossible not to tell the difference, and from what I read, these traits tend to be true for good implementations of the chips from different companies.

PCM1796 in Arcam is really dynamic, organic, huge soundstage and very clean. Fun without being coloured, a wickedly good deal. But its when listening to a good Sabre like the Nuprime that you really hear much better instrument separation and a much greater ability to pick out what individual instruments are up to. I probably attend 15 classical concerts a year in multiple venues and the Saber is definitely closer to what I hear in real life. Its not system matching effect, I hear this over headphones or my speakers (amp is Hypex ncore). The Arcam is more "enjoyable" at first listen but funny thing is, my foot involuntarily taps more to the Sabre more.

If you listen to classical and like live acoustic music, listen to Sabre dacs before deciding. The new Benchmark Dac3 is another one. If you're overwhelming need is to play studio recordings and you don't care as much about ultimate resolution, consider a NOS dac like the Schitt or one of the TI implementations. BTW, a colleague in town designed from scratch his own dac using a TI chip from the same family as the 1796 and it sounded very close to the irDAC.

Some people complain about sigma-delta dacs but I don't get it. Good Sabre ones sound more real to me than other dacs (I've owned a few), which tend to sound more "analog" and a bit mushed together in a pleasant way.

Comment

Sorry i can't give a direct answer, but I ve had the Schiit Bifrost for a couple of years. We even used it at the last NY-DIY event, driven by a Marantz CD (as transport) and also by a laptop / Hi-res server. I am considering having it upgraded with their "multibit" option, so I have to give schiit a general thumbs up.

One caveat: I recently compared to a $2K professional mastering quality unit (Antelope Audio Pure2), and i never realized how much difference there can be in converters, even at a high level.
              I think that, like commercial speakers, there is a "house sound" to just about all these units . It is most definitely not just 1's and 0's. Neither is it always about pure accuracy.
              For example, the Benchmark is known to be somewhat colored relative to some other upper class units. But how it fits in with your system depends on the rest of your system - it may be great!

Like a speaker manufacturer might build in a rising high end to elicit that "ooh - it lifted the veil" reaction, and that many self respecting DIYers would scoff at, the same can be true for converters. Maybe a "sterile" converter doesn't sound sexy, but maybe that just means its flat and neutral and will fit in with the rest of your system.

The other monkey wrench in the works is that you never really do know what the source is supposed to sound like, do you?

Schiit has a no-questions-asked return policy. So why not set aside some time for serious listening and give it whirl? Compare!

BTW I hated to do it , but I returned the Antelope. Mainly because of the A/D performance, which i was surprised to learn, intentionally enhanced the sound (with some high end emphasis and a widened soundstage). Perfectly clean, pristine and with great transients; but i was primarily looking to digitize some vintage vinyl in a neutral way, not add any mojo or sprinkle fairy dust. Since I was able to A/B the original analog to the digitized version, spotting the difference was surprisingly easy. but thats another story....
              BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

I've got a Yggsdrasil, Gungnir (not multi-bit) and have heard my buddy's Bifrost multi-bit. In my system they all sound good with subtle differences. Typically, the more expensive units have better power supplies (higher capacity, better filtering, etc.) better shielding and isolation and thus may sound "better." IF you have good clean power and noise then I would just get the Bifrost. I would go as far to say that dac differences are much less than differences between phono cartridges, arms and t-tables. The best reasonably priced digital I've heard is from a Devialet and/or Lyngdorf Tdai.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  The Mytek is an MQA decoder, so that could swing your choice. Also- member skvinson has a Bifrost which I've heard through an Anthem AVM-20 and Rotel 100x2. It sounds good enough running Tidal streaming that I didn't have any complaints.

Later,
                  Wolf

My Bifrost is a 'multi-bit' version. (Which all Yggsdrasil's are) A lot of people prefer that 'old approach' to DACs. I like it a lot. ... I haven't heard the two higher models (Gungnir & Yggsdrasil). I've heard the former is very close to the Ygg', at much lower cost.

Comment

Well,,,, if you gonna throw around that kind of cash,,,,,, you could look at Ayre. I have the CX7 CD player and my brother has the DAC. We both like both! My brother is able to use balanced cables, me, just single ended. If ya can,,,, balanced IS better.

​Good Luck and remember,,,,,, have FUN! Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                      If ya can,,,, balanced IS better.
                      ...but of course!
                      Wolf

"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I just pulled the trigger on one of Craig's suggestions, a nad m51. It was half price I figured I would give it a shot.

Comment

Good choice. I am a big fan of the PCM to PWM conversion this unit does.the remote and fact that it is also a great preamp is nice too. Just a really good unit. Be sure to let us know what you think of it.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
                          X