Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT

    Alright guys, for those of you who don't know me, my name is Geoff Schneider, and I am the Product Line Specialist for Home A/V at Parts Express.

    We have a new product that is finally in stock and shipping, the Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT.

    This Class D amplifier offers a simple solution to power a pair of speakers (50 watts x 2) and a passive subwoofer (100 watts). It features 3.5mm, RCA, and Bluetooth inputs for convenient source connections.

    For more information on this product, please visit the product page here.

  • #2
    Alright, Geoff, so the million dollar question is: is the lowpass frequency adjustable and what is the highpass frequency for the mains? There are sooooo many 2.1 amps out there and nobody seems to get this right!

    Dan
    _____________________________
    Tall Boys
    NRNP Computer Sub
    The Boxers
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

    Comment


    • #3
      Early reports indicate this unit may be lacking in bass. One reviewer had that complaint and one TT member is currently trying to determine if lack of bass is his DTA-2.1.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ge_off_me View Post
        We have a new product that is finally in stock and shipping, the Dayton Audio DTA-2.1BT.
        ​OH PARTS-EXPRESS, PARTS-EXPRESS, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? Dangle these solutions that come OH-SO-CLOSE to ideal, and leave out the one or two things that would make it a great, GREAT product for DIYers?

        I would willing, willingly, WILLINGLY(!) pay a 50% premium on the given cost of that amp if it had a means of INTERNALLY adjusting the LP filter (LR, 24dB/octave, but 12dB/octave Ok) on the sub and HP filter (LR, 12dB/octave) on the main speakers. Just take a page from the car audio guys and use two internal pots that can be adjusted via screwdriver through suitably-sized holes in the bottom of the case, that's all that's required. Even better, include an additional internally adjustable HP filter (BW 24dB/octave) on the sub channel to filter out very low frequencies that might be beyond the capabilities of the passive subwoofer that's going to be attached to the amp. I'd even forgive that the 24V power adapter does not appear to be 110~240V, and might overlook that the quoted power output does not follow EIA / CEA specifications...

        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

        Comment


        • #5
          And for the icing on the cake, add a remote.

          Likewise, if it had all those features, including the remote, I would be willing to pay a substantial amount more.
          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

          If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

          Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

            ​OH PARTS-EXPRESS, PARTS-EXPRESS, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? Dangle these solutions that come OH-SO-CLOSE to ideal, and leave out the one or two things that would make it a great, GREAT product for DIYers?

            I would willing, willingly, WILLINGLY(!) pay a 50% premium on the given cost of that amp if it had a means of INTERNALLY adjusting the LP filter (LR, 24dB/octave, but 12dB/octave Ok) on the sub and HP filter (LR, 12dB/octave) on the main speakers. Just take a page from the car audio guys and use two internal pots that can be adjusted via screwdriver through suitably-sized holes in the bottom of the case, that's all that's required. Even better, include an additional internally adjustable HP filter (BW 24dB/octave) on the sub channel to filter out very low frequencies that might be beyond the capabilities of the passive subwoofer that's going to be attached to the amp. I'd even forgive that the 24V power adapter does not appear to be 110~240V, and might overlook that the quoted power output does not follow EIA / CEA specifications...
            Super agree!

            Hell I'd take one with a fixed sub crossover point at 100 +- 20Hz if it had a proper high pass on the main outputs with at least 12dB / octave slopes. Take the work off the satellites, play louder with less distortion, avoid phase cancelations where the mains and sub are overlapping... lots of good reasons.
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DanP View Post
              Alright, Geoff, so the million dollar question is: is the lowpass frequency adjustable and what is the highpass frequency for the mains? There are sooooo many 2.1 amps out there and nobody seems to get this right!

              Dan
              Dan,

              There are not that many finished 2.1 amps on the market, but there are plenty of boards and modules.

              We do not have an adjustable LPF or HPF on the model.

              This is absolutely something we can look into for a future expansion of the line.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                Early reports indicate this unit may be lacking in bass. One reviewer had that complaint and one TT member is currently trying to determine if lack of bass is his DTA-2.1.
                I'm a bit confused by this comment, as I have been personally using this amp for about 2 months now, and lacking bass is not something I would say is a characteristic of this amplifier. We also demoed this amplifier in several different installation where there was no such occurrence.

                Best Regards,

                Geoff Schneider

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

                  ​OH PARTS-EXPRESS, PARTS-EXPRESS, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? Dangle these solutions that come OH-SO-CLOSE to ideal, and leave out the one or two things that would make it a great, GREAT product for DIYers?

                  I would willing, willingly, WILLINGLY(!) pay a 50% premium on the given cost of that amp if it had a means of INTERNALLY adjusting the LP filter (LR, 24dB/octave, but 12dB/octave Ok) on the sub and HP filter (LR, 12dB/octave) on the main speakers. Just take a page from the car audio guys and use two internal pots that can be adjusted via screwdriver through suitably-sized holes in the bottom of the case, that's all that's required. Even better, include an additional internally adjustable HP filter (BW 24dB/octave) on the sub channel to filter out very low frequencies that might be beyond the capabilities of the passive subwoofer that's going to be attached to the amp. I'd even forgive that the 24V power adapter does not appear to be 110~240V, and might overlook that the quoted power output does not follow EIA / CEA specifications...
                  I agree that there are absolutely features that would enhance the usability of this product for users on this forum and other tech-savvy individuals, but this product is nearly ideal for a large portion of our customer base.

                  Creating a similar amplifier with some of the features you listed and perhaps more could be considered pending the sales and the reviews of the current model.

                  Best Regards,

                  Geoff Schneider

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ge_off_me View Post

                    I agree that there are absolutely features that would enhance the usability of this product for users on this forum and other tech-savvy individuals, but this product is nearly ideal for a large portion of our customer base.

                    Creating a similar amplifier with some of the features you listed and perhaps more could be considered pending the sales and the reviews of the current model.

                    Best Regards,

                    Geoff Schneider
                    Hi Geoff,
                    I am part of the "large portion" of your customer base, a novice. I have to agree with the forums experts. @ $80 I would expect adjustable low pass filter, 180hz is too high. A high pass filter would be helpful and also a remote.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dropcarve View Post
                      Hi Geoff,
                      I am part of the "large portion" of your customer base, a novice. I have to agree with the forums experts. @ $80 I would expect adjustable low pass filter, 180hz is too high. A high pass filter would be helpful and also a remote.
                      The other members actually stated they would pay more for the adjustable LPF, which I agree would be a nice feature, but would indeed cost more to add.

                      Best Regards,

                      Geoff Schneider

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ge_off_me View Post

                        The other members actually stated they would pay more for the adjustable LPF, which I agree would be a nice feature, but would indeed cost more to add.

                        Best Regards,

                        Geoff Schneider
                        I would pay more for improved features as well. I was excited to see a Dayton 2.1, that's what I'm looking for. It's just not what I hoped for.. I'll wait for an improved version.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I found a 2.1 amp board on that large auction site that has the controls I have been looking for: adjustable 0.1 LPF and volume, adjustable 2.0 HPF and volume and master volume. You can get versions with and without Bluetooth 4.2; the price difference is about $5. Haven't bought it, but sounds interesting. I don't know the rolloff slopes, but would hope for 12 dB/octave. Still looking for a version that comes with a case.
                          "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Geoff -

                            In general, I expect to see specs, and will not spend any money on any audio equipment without basic information.
                            Here is what PE lists for the current 7498 special:

                            Specifications: Power output (10% THD): 2 x 160 watts into 4 ohms, 2 x 120 watts into 6 ohms, 2 x 100 watts into 8 ohms Amplifier efficiency: 90% Minimum THD: <1% Signal-to-noise ratio: >90 dB Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz Bluetooth compatibility: Class 2 A2DP, AVRCP up to 20 meters



                            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                            Tangband W6-sub

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ge_off_me View Post
                              This is absolutely something we can look into for a future expansion of the line.
                              ​Please do! I'm still looking for the best solution for at least two projects I'm considering at the moment, and the adjustable filter points for the sub and main channels (and if possible an additional adjustable HP filter on the sub channel to remove frequencies the attached subwoofer would have difficulty playing) would make this the perfect solution. These features can be added for very low cost as they should involve just a few extra small cheap components on the board.

                              ​As for the remote control, to me that's a "nice to have", rather than "essential". I suspect that it would require a more involved redesign, and in any case, if I'm going to be streaming to the amp via BT, I can adjust the output level from my smartphone (or other BT source) and even have better control over the overall response via an EQ app on the BT device.
                              Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X