Painting the faceplates of RS28A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the faceplates of RS28A

I'm slowly acquiring all the goodies to build a pair of Navyguy's Standards. I'm considering painting the faceplates of the RS28 tweets to match the silver of the Peerless 830833 drivers as much as I can.

I've not tried this before ... what's the recommended paint type to use? Any tips on doing so? Will most likely be using rattle-can paint. Any tips on color-matching?

Just use auto paint, and be sure to prime first. I'd be a bit worried of chipping when you screw them down is all. Let me know if you find an auto colour that matches well.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

The RS28A has a small clear plastic phase plug inside the grill. It looks like a piece of tape. I'd avoid painting the grill and the phase plug. I painted some other tweeter by scuffing them up with a 3M pad and then multiple very lights coat with a rattle can. I think it was something quick drying like Krylon.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Would sandblasting the aluminum be an option? Not sure on the color, or if it would match, but possibly it could be blasted, then clear coated to protect the alum. You might be able to get a cool textured finish that way.
        TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I did some faceplate painting a while ago that worked nicely. No sandblasting. First coat: Rustoleum 'Ultra Cover 2X semi-gloss' Second coat: Krylon 'Rust Tough' Flat Black Enamel.
          No matter where you go, there you are.
          Website

Comment

Take the faceplate off of the RS28, and then paint it- or- find a round sticker approximately the right size to fit over the grill and bevel to mask it off.

The face is easy to remove via the 4 allen-head screws. Be careful not to strip the heads for 2 reasons- They are special-order low-head screws, and I believe metric sized.

Ordinary Krylon rattle can will work. If you remove the face, you may have to sand the inner rim of the paint before it will go back on the tweeter.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              Would sandblasting the aluminum be an option? Not sure on the color, or if it would match, but possibly it could be blasted, then clear coated to protect the alum. You might be able to get a cool textured finish that way.
              TomZ
              +1 I like this idea

Comment

I thought about painting the tweeter face plate as well. The peerless woofer frame is painted so sandblasting wont give you a good match. Youll need to paint but it may take some effort to get a good match color wise.
                -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                  I thought about painting the tweeter face plate as well. The peerless woofer frame is painted so sandblasting won’t give you a good match. You’ll need to paint but it may take some effort to get a good match color wise.
                  Did you even get a start on color matching? If you can even help me eliminate options, that help! (I'm a bit colorblind, which amuses my family to no end, until they remember that it means I'm going to be asking them about matching colors all the time).

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                    TomZ

The idea is great, but sandblasting will be waaaay too aggressive. Better to have it done with fine glass or even walnut shell media. This will remove the factory paint down to bare aluminum along with leaving a nice texture depending on the media used. It will also make for a perfect finish for painting, if so desired. But a clear coat is a necessity.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Originally posted by gdmoore28 View Post

The idea is great, but sandblasting will be waaaay too aggressive. Better to have it done with fine glass or even walnut shell media. This will remove the factory paint down to bare aluminum along with leaving a nice texture depending on the media used. It will also make for a perfect finish for painting, if so desired. But a clear coat is a necessity.

GeeDeeEmm
                      Right. I was referring to the method of paint/anodizing removal, not necessarily the medium used. Good point though.
                      TomZ
                      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by MarkL View Post
                        Did you even get a start on color matching? If you can even help me eliminate options, that help! (I'm a bit colorblind, which amuses my family to no end, until they remember that it means I'm going to be asking them about matching colors all the time).
                        It looked like one of the Krylon auto cans should be close but I never bought any. Figured Id need to take a woofer in with me to match properly.
                        -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Working...
                        X