$32k speakers with esoteric drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $32k speakers with esoteric drivers

At least they admit it lol. At Axpona, you can find quite a few speakers using Dayton drivers but they won't say it. Wolf and I were "politely" asked to leave one room when we were able to identify each driver.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
      At least they admit it lol. At Axpona, you can find quite a few speakers using Dayton drivers but they won't say it. Wolf and I were "politely" asked to leave one room when we were able to identify each driver.

Comment

I read the review, woofer is a Morel as well. Of course the overall review is highly positive. I think the measurements are horrendous, however JA doesn’t seem too off-put by them. They are a dipole in the mid and maybe I don’t know how to interpret this as well but the fr graph shows numerous 5db variations with a total variation of 15db. I don’t fault the drivers, perhaps crossover design, measurement techniques, and dipole use all factor. Better have a good amp, phase is outside 45deg in three places and impedance is at or below 2 ohms around 100hz and 200-300hz.

I’d share some pics but my phone only makes giant files too big to upload.

Comment

Comment

Photo of the drivers used from their web site.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
              Same issue also reviews a Totem Acoustic Signature One where they openly spec the tweeter as SEAS, but don’t credit the woofer, which appears to be the new Dynavox 6.5” woofer. Cone material listed is allegedly different, but it sure looks the same to me, right down to the part number molded in the surround.
              They were using Dynaudio drivers. Also the Endeavor design uses Dayton woofers, HiVi mid, and a Vifa tweeter.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I bet the cone material was 'magnesium silicate', am I right? Guess what- magnesium silicate = talc filled polypropylene. No joke!

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

They were using Dynaudio drivers. Also the Endeavor design uses Dayton woofers, HiVi mid, and a Vifa tweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    I bet the cone material was 'magnesium silicate', am I right? Guess what- magnesium silicate = talc filled polypropylene. No joke!

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Cellulose acrylate. Although magnesium silicate sure sounds fancy!

Comment

Like back in the day when the Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter (XT25) was used in many high end designs (not $32K...that's really high end), and you could buy the same tweeter for $20-$30 here on PE.

The $32K speaker in question: http://alta-audio.com/collection/titanium-hestia/

Comment

The Alta sure looks (appearance) nice. The design is interesting in that it sounds like the morel mid and two Dayton’s are all sharing the same circuit.

Looks like Alta uses Dayton’s RS drivers in some of their other designs.
                        Last edited by dynamo; 12-11-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

My wife likes to watch The Price is Right on TV between 11:00 AM and noon, and I often sit down and watch with her for a short while before I eat lunch. Last week one of the prizes a contestant was trying to win was an audio system from PE featuring the Epique CBT24K Line Array along with other audio goodies.
                          Paul

Comment

Comment

The woofer appears to be the Morel TiCW 958Ft.

This speaker doesn't seem that outlandish to me . . . for the high-end market. Sounds like they could use a better crossover, though.
                              Morel TiCW 958Ft Titanium Series 9" Subwoofer 8 Ohm

Comment

Working...
                              X