Iron Driver style event in Grand Rapids - June 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June works best for me.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Grand Rapids is pretty much always in September for a reason- most of the other months are taken in terms of speaker DIY events to my knowledge.
      In general:

April is InDIYana
      May?
      June is Dakota DIY
      July is MWAF
      August is way too hot in the Midwest, IMO, but it's open. Most families travel in this month.
      September is Grand Rapids DIY
      October is Iowa DIY
      November is CKY-DIY

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        June works best for me.
        Johnny, don't cancel Dakota for this. If it's a big concern for people to have them in the same month, I'll talk to Mark about moving to May or July.
        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

Not knocking Dayton drivers, but I would really like to see something else used for a change of pace.
          Yeah, I mean I'm not set one way or another. I know they get used a lot, but on the other hand, none of the Iron Driver events used Dayton drivers to my knowledge.
          -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Yeah, I mean I'm not set one way or another. I know they get used a lot, but on the other hand, none of the Iron Driver events used Dayton drivers to my knowledge.
            Lets not break the tradition then.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

May sounds great!

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Johnny, don't cancel Dakota for this. If it's a big concern for people to have them in the same month, I'll talk to Mark about moving to May or July.
              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

I second May.
                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I'd be interest in something different like a small 2 or 3 inch driver that could be used as a tweeter or mid. The TC9FD18 would be an example, but it's been used to death.
                  Last edited by jhollander; 01-08-2018, 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I'd really like to participate, but May probably wouldn't work for me. As for drivers, I suppose the SB 5" ceramic is too costly. What about their poly cone 5"? I'd like to give that a try (though I'd probably re-purpose it as a midrange after the event). Dayton PM180 might be fun, but again too costly.

Comment

Is the design limited to a 2-way? I would love to hear the rules for this or even the original.
                      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                        Is the design limited to a 2-way? I would love to hear the rules for this or even the original.

xmax,

The rules are basically we come to a conclusion on what the "iron driver" will be. Everyone must use that driver in their design in some way. Total cost of the build, including crossover parts, must not exceed $250 regular price. Buyout drivers aren't allowed. If you buy an item on sale, you must use the regular price for it. Shipping costs are not included in the total cost. Other than that, there are no real limitations on what you can build. At the NY events in the past it was limited to something that would fit on a 24" speaker stand so that there wasn't an unfair advantage for people that live closer and can build big cabinets. I'm not sure if we are are going to mandate that this time or not.

Judging is blind and only the people setting up the speakers know what is what. They were not included in the past for the scoring and I believe we would keep it that way. I've still got to work out with Mark if we are going to be doing measurements like they did in NY or if it will just be a blind competition.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Sounds like fun, $250 per pair? Why not just do a quick measurement while each speaker is set up, I'm sure
                          nobody would be opposed of 1 minute of sweeps or whatever, (as long as the measurements are not seen
                          by the judges)
                          Guess xmax's age.

Comment

We are going to move this to May to de-conflict with Dakota
                            -Kerry

Comment

Please allow 2 weeks between it and InDIYana, which is April 27/28. I always allow 2 weeks between InDIYana and AXPONA. This is a favorable setup for those that do not want to miss any of the 3 events.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                                Please allow 2 weeks between it and InDIYana, which is April 27/28. I always allow 2 weeks between InDIYana and AXPONA. This is a favorable setup for those that do not want to miss any of the 3 events.

Later,
                                Wolf

yes, makes sense, else you are driving/ staying away consecutive weekends, which is hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X