X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
    I've always the liked the blind listening aspect of the Iron Driver, but couldn't justify the trip cost and logistics to NY. Now that it's in MI I plan on attending. Kudos to all involved.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    I've always the liked the blind listening aspect of the Iron Driver, but couldn't justify the trip cost and logistics to NY. Now that it's in MI I plan on attending. Kudos to all involved.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    bumping back up for visibility

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
    So...... What are the full set of rules/details? Roman brought up a good point. We went through some pretty fine details to keep it as blind as possible right up to anyone involved with the physical handling of the speakers not being able to judge since they knew what speKers belonged to who. Also being able to fit on stands to make ship-ins have a chance, too. And on.....
    Full details haven’t been worked out yet. We plan to keep it blind and anyone handling the speakers won’t get a vote. With regards to the size and fitting on stands, not sure if that is staying or not. But we will allow ship ins.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied
    So......

What are the full set of rules/details? Roman brought up a good point. We went through some pretty fine details to keep it as blind as possible right up to anyone involved with the physical handling of the speakers not being able to judge since they knew what speKers belonged to who. Also being able to fit on stands to make ship-ins have a chance, too. And on.....

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied
    John,
    It's been either in the past.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Is the iron driver a woofer or tweeter? Does it matter?

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied
    It's nice to have an event in Grand Rapids with some lead time. If you want to up the cost limit you can always pick a more expensive iron driver to keep the cost challenge.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I can get to Meniscus on my lunch break.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
    The orignal $200 budget was to make it an actual challange. Many designers here can do quite a bit when you break the $200 ceiling. It was always suppose to be a challange, tough.... once you start getting the Iron Driver itself past a$20 driver, there are many options to choose from that are way too easy to work with. David Crewe's Saffrons still blow my mind when I think about what he did with sucj a small budget....

Just $0.02 It is nice to see this alive in any form. It was A LOT of fun.

Ship-ins allowed?

Edit: The market changes were due mostly to copper. Dayton's new inductors, as well as other companies, are offering soultions that have reflect the settled prices. Just my last argument to being the real challange back ;)
    I do like the challenge of the limited budget and some of the creativity it adds to trying to get the most bang out of your setup.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I'd like to add that Dakota DIY is normally in June around that time frame.

Later,
    Wolf
    Thanks for the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• Derekj
    replied
    I'm interested - might have to mail an entry in if you are going to do that. Will be on vacation around that time.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post
    Question, are the costs proposed for two speakers or one?
    Price is for 2 speakers. Price includes drivers and crossover components.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Question, are the costs proposed for two speakers or one?

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied
    The point of Iron Driver was not the only blind listening tests of inexpensive speakers. People build good sounding inexpensive speakers on the budget all the time now days.
    It was to relate measured data to listening preferences. That's why everything was measured and data released after listening comparison. That's also why designers opted to dipoles or hybrids and all kinds of different arrangements. The price limitation made the design more challenging.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X