Accuton C168-6-990 7" ceramic midrange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuton C168-6-990 7" ceramic midrange

Has anyone here had any experience with this driver? It's been out for a bit now, but searches haven't revealed anything yet.

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/s...68-6-990-cell/

The dimensions are very interesting. Seems to have very low distortion. I don't think I've ever seen an inductance value that low for a driver of this size. (0.06)
    I was thinking it might be nice to pair it up as a midrange along with the C30-6-358.

Originally posted by captainobvious99 View Post
    Has anyone here had any experience with this driver? It's been out for a bit now, but searches haven't revealed anything yet.

http://www.accuton.com/en/products/s...68-6-990-cell/

The dimensions are very interesting. Seems to have very low distortion. I don't think I've ever seen an inductance value that low for a driver of this size. (0.06)
    I was thinking it might be nice to pair it up as a midrange along with the C30-6-358.
    If its anything like the 2" C51 Cell, it will be an amazing unit. The Audio Technology C-Quenze 6" midrange unit has very similar performance with inductance of only .07mH. However, its response is much smoother overall and no nasty breakups.

Here's the impedance curve of the AT SDKM. That's for a pair in parallel.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SDKM impedance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1355874

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Accuton drivers always look so interesting but I never seem to find any DIY designs and those prices.....

Comment

Way above my pay grade.
        No matter where you go, there you are.
        Website

Comment

Pete- I didn't see that one on the site but just found it. Yeah, that looks like a very nice midrange as well. The 18cm woofer also looks excellent. Unfortunately they don't list mounting depth dimensions on the site so I can't tell how deep they are.
          Since this will be for an automotive installation, that piece is important. The Accuton is under 2" mounting depth so despite its large OD, there are some options for installation. Have you by chance used the C30-6-358 tweeter?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by captainobvious99 View Post
            Pete- I didn't see that one on the site but just found it. Yeah, that looks like a very nice midrange as well. The 18cm woofer also looks excellent. Unfortunately they don't list mounting depth dimensions on the site so I can't tell how deep they are.
            Since this will be for an automotive installation, that piece is important. The Accuton is under 2" mounting depth so despite its large OD, there are some options for installation. Have you by chance used the C30-6-358 tweeter?

Thanks
            We've never used an Accuton tweeter, though I've heard a bunch of them and they are pretty darn good too.

The SDKM is definitely deeper than 2". After using them in a couple of designs, I think they're my favorite true midrange unit. It became apparent immediately when testing them as the lady says "monotonic short sine sweep." With nothing in the signal path, her voice was amazingly natural sounding. Don't get that with the Accuton due to the response not being quite as linear as the AT.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Yep, deeper than 2" and that's quite a beefy magnet

So did you use them in parallel Pete? I have 4 and am tossing between WTMW and WMTMW. Active XO and with plenty of power to drive 3 ohm if necessary...

Comment

I would think that Accuton in a car is not a good idea. If the cones never get jostled, or the doors never impact slammed if they are in the doors, and you don't have them in foot range or directly exposed to air-pressure differences or UV, then you're likely okay. I just think the drastic changes of these criteria, temperature notwithstanding, would not bode well for the AlO2 cones. If they were hardened ceramic surfaces, like maybe the SB, Rival, or Eton, then they might be okay. The Accutons are entirely AlO2, and not just ceramic on the surface. They have been shattered just by overexcursion in the past, so consider them VERY FRAGILE. The AT will likely survive well, but are deep mongrels.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hypertune- Thanks for sharing the pic! Looks like about 2 7/8" mounting depth.

Wolf- They would likely be installed in custom a-pillars if I went with the Accutons. (pics below of the current setup. Some were taken before finishing touches)

I currently use the Satori MR13P along with the Satori TW29BN and Scan 25W-8565-00 woofers. The Satori mids are installed in dampened, sealed enclosures of about 1.5 liters. This combo is very, very good but even with active processing I still think I would get a little better performance and imaging by getting the midrange and tweeter positioned closer together. And if i do make a change and need to rebuild some things, I may as well do it based on the best drivers I can use for the application (If there is better to be had). The Audio Technology mids look very interesting for sure, I'd just have to see if I can make them fit along with a suitable smaller format tweeter to pair with them. The other option is an outstanding concentric driver, if one exists (Kef, Tannoy, Seas, etc.)

Thanks guys for your input.

Comment

The SDKM will let you cross as high as you want to a small format tweeter. You might consider a small AMT crossed at 3000Hz.

Comment

Where do you guys go for your AT needs?

Comment

We order direct from the factory. We've used the sandwich cone Flex Unit 15" 12" and 10", the Flex Unit 8" poly in a custom configuration, a custom 7" midrange, the C-Quenze 8", 7", 6" and the SDKM 6". Per Skanning is a great guy to work with. He's got the best suspensions I've ever seen on a woofer. Just incredible stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HYPERTUNE View Post
                          Yep, deeper than 2" and that's quite a beefy magnet

So did you use them in parallel Pete? I have 4 and am tossing between WTMW and WMTMW. Active XO and with plenty of power to drive 3 ohm if necessary...

We've used them in pairs and single mids in a couple of builds. Here's the system that used them in pairs. Those mids, the 12" sandwich cone Flex Unit and the RAAL would be my own "ultimate" build.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

Those mids, the 12" sandwich cone Flex Unit and the RAAL would be my own "ultimate" build.
                            Well, that's some endorsement for Audio Technology! And I agree, Per is great to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                              He's got the best suspensions I've ever seen on a woofer. Just incredible stuff.
                              Just curious, what stands out about them? One hardly ever sees anything on suspension technologies.

Comment

Working...
                              X