No announcement yet.

Help needed with Tang Band W4 1052 SD filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I didn't get it done before new years, but I did try Wolf's filter today. The speakers I'm using it on are the Mini Me clones I built very early on in my speaker building adventures. I had been warned that despite its excellent reviews, this speaker was not that great and not even the equal of other small single driver designs. Well after building a pair of Pico Neos, I was pretty dissatisfied with the Mini Me clones. The first thing I did was to build in a BSC filter (not used in the original MM). That gave noticeably more bass, but seemed to hurt the highs. Next I tried the filter suggested by Chris R. which replicated the one used in the Whetstones, but felt the highs were subdued too much.
    With Wolf's filter today I felt the highs were too subdued and the bass lacking. What is ironic is it seems that to my ears, even though I'm not happy with the completely filterless speakers, it seems like they may be the best I can do with this driver in this cabinet. Where they fall short is in the frequency extremes and in transparency and detail compared to the Pico Neos . The original design is fully lined with carpet underlayment and has a squat 3/4 inch thick walled cabinet. I'm thinking that maybe the reason it got good reviews is because it has great imaging and is very smooth and easy to listen to. Perhaps the original design somewhat tames the TB 1052 peak that folks are observing in their measurements.
    I put a lot of work into building these first simple cabinets, and have been reluctant to trash them and move on, but perhaps that is the best thing to do. Compared to either the Pico Neos or the Domos which I just completed Mini Me clones just aren't cutting it.
    I'm still very impressed with some aspects of single driver speakers and want to do more of them, but think it is time to move on from trying to make the Mini Me clones a speaker that truly "floats my boat".
    I greatly appreciate the help with this project and look forward to meeting some or all of you at InDIYana 2018.

Thanks again,

Jay

Comment

Jay if you have the part post #11 has more baffle step

This one has full baffle step but dampens the highs a bit

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Hi John,

Are you thinking that I shouldn't throw in the towel on the Mini Me clones just yet? If so I'll get the components to put together the filter in your post 11 since it doesn't dampen the highs at all. I'm puzzled that the factory specified TB frequency response shown in the Whetstones thread appears so much more peaky in the 5-7k range than the current factory specifications. Since you used the current factory specs in your simulations, are you thinking I've been using filters that are actually worsening the overall response? I'm heading out of town for 4 days tomorrow, but look forward to hearing your thoughts about this when I return.
        Also, since I'm now booked to attend InDIYana this spring I look forward to meeting you in person.

Best,
        Jay

Comment

This is almost certainly not to the level you are looking for, but I will put it here for anyone who might be interested in a minimalist filter (you know...cheap!) for the w4 1052. About 15 years ago I made a replacement for the no-longer-available Auratone "Real World Studio Reference" speakers. Basically a medium quality CTS driver in a small cube. Now there are may similar replacements available and the Auratone name is even back!

My partner and I decided to make something more visually interesting than an "AuraClone" (the original project name). We eventually came up with the "UberTone". The enclosure was cast aluminum and looked a bit like a jet engine. Aside from looking cool, we could claim less specular reflection from the main monitors due to the lack of hard edges. (Marketing at its best.) It was really just intended to be small and interesting. They have standard mic stand thread on the bottom, so that they can be stand mounted behind a console ledge, rather than on it, if desired.

We had several production runs made and they were pretty popular (priced at $599 a pair, as I recall). The we lost access to the foundry in Shanghai that was casting the enclosures for us. End of the UberTone. I considered having the enclosures turned from wood, or cast from something less difficult than aluminum, but never followed through on it.

Comment

Jay the only thing I noticed were that the other filters did not have much baffle step reduction. We'd could get a better result if we could measure your speakers and know where they are being used.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
            X