Is it still worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still worth it?

A few of you were following my Galactica lls that I renamed the King Tuts. I ran into a funds problem for finishing these so I've been building different speakers that I hoped I could sell to raise more funds for the King Tuts. However, nothing I build will sell anymore. I've tried some real small ones but they aren't going anywhere either. Now I know from the young people around here that the only stereo they have, or even want, is their iPhone or Bose wave music box. They don't care about anything else for music. So I guess I'm feeling like the kind of things some of us like to build and share on this forum are becoming obsolete as the older generations die off. Tell me it ain't so!

Except for one nephew, it is that way in our family.

Comment

I wouldn't say you absolutely need it but a good branding platform helps - like Kirby Meets Audio or SoundBlab on youtube.

Comment

Times have definitely changed as they always have. Neither my 19yr old nor 16 yr old want stereo speakers, even small ones. Non of their friends have a "stereo". I bought them each a good bluetooth speaker and they're happy with that. Now good headphones, that perks their interest.

Even most of our friends, relatives and neighbours into quality elsewhere (cameras, TV, cars...) have a Sonos type thing. Home Theater is the one place they'll spend on speaker boxes, but 5.1 min.

Comment

It's funny, but I've cultivated in my kids the love of good sound. My son has a pair of speakers that are on almost constantly at his house. My daughter is getting a pair of speakers and a bluetooth amp for Christmas from me, and my other daughter is going to help me finish a small pair of speakers for her early next year. Her old boyfriend bought my pair of Marksmen speakers and loves showing them off to his friends. My nephew just took home a pair of towers we built together, and I've got at least two more nephews who want their own sets.

The HT angle is a good one to use for sure. My nephew uses his as the mains in his setup for Playstation gaming along with movies. He moved his smaller speakers to the back as surrounds.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I think eventually younger people will appreciate good music, and then good sound. It's probably a case of 'don't know what you're missing'.

Once I had a reasonable system (over 40 years ago!) I really got a kick out of hearing more music than with my previous cheapo stuff. Maybe just get them to listen to a well recorded piece of music (say, Nirvana Unplugged) on a good system and they might be converted.

Having said that, almost all of my nieces and nephews are at the moment more concerned about whether the listening device looks cool and doesn't take too much space! And most of the stuff they listen to is mainstream top 40 plastic and synthetic music anyway........and that might just sound awful on a decent system.

Geoff

Comment

Having said that, almost all of my nieces and nephews are at the moment more concerned about whether the listening device looks cool and doesn't take too much space!
              Agreed, tabletop bluetooth boomboxes are king right now... just look at the project gallery or etsy. I considered 'mass'-producing a design to sell but after working out the time involved it just isn't worth it. There are a million two-woofer, single-tweeter, reclaimed-barn-wood offerings out there.

Personally, I'd love to have a nice home audio system but I have no place to put it. At most I could accomodate a soundbar or a pair of small bookshelves... 50% of my dresser top is occupied by an amp and a pair of OS MTs. I really want to build a set of nice towers or 3-ways, but unless I'm hanging them from the ceiling there is just no home for them. I suspect many people are in similar situations.

Comment

This is it, so many don't want to make the tradeoffs for space or having to be anchored in front of the system. My kids grew up with great sound and music playing daily but I also use a bluetooth speaker to drag around and it sounds like good music and never fatiguing. I get why that their happy spot. And lets face it, speakers are ugly Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DDF View Post
                  And lets face it, speakers are ugly
                  maybe some are . . . I can't wait to see these painted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1356352Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238[2].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1356353

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by bigg View Post
                    A few of you were following my Galactica lls that I renamed the King Tuts. I ran into a funds problem for finishing these so I've been building different speakers that I hoped I could sell to raise more funds for the King Tuts. However, nothing I build will sell anymore. I've tried some real small ones but they aren't going anywhere either. Now I know from the young people around here that the only stereo they have, or even want, is their iPhone or Bose wave music box. They don't care about anything else for music. So I guess I'm feeling like the kind of things some of us like to build and share on this forum are becoming obsolete as the older generations die off. Tell me it ain't so!
                    Were you able to sell your builds in the past?
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Both of my girlfriend's nephews have 5.1 system from me. I don't know if they do much with them.

I remember in my early teens being in a dept store and coming across a modest KLH stereo system playing music from FM. I was immediately hooked, never having heard decent equipment. If you don't know how good something is, you'll never be interested enough to acquire it.

Nice speakers Pete, but you can't put anything on top of them.

Comment

Well along time ago, for me it is a hobby. While I try to save the world from crappy sound I realize that I cannot make money doing this so some family and friends
                        ​get to own an awesome sound system. Most love it and appreciate the effort and I go the extra step to find some nice vintage gear or new and hook it up to save
                        ​the world from shite sound. I applaud the people who have been to able to turn it into a commercial endeavor, my 2c

Comment

Paul Carmody. Yes I've been able to sell them in the past. But not in the last 3 or 4 years. I never made a lot of money on them but enough to buy more parts to keep going. I did a big commission job. I did a constant upgrade on them and a small story short, customer wanted the upgrades but not to pay for them. stiffed me on the final bill. so I made nothing on them. Best speakers I've built yet. Called them "The Tonmeisters" Guy loved them but would only pay for the shipping and not my final bill that would have allowed me a little profit. So I don't do commissions anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                            Well along time ago, for me it is a hobby.
                            In my youth, a wise elder once told me: "Never make the mistake of turning your avocation into a vocation." I've always seen the wisdom in that. Of course on the flip side, you gotta love your work.

Back to the thread ...

In the "old days", if a kid wanted good sound with any volume, the transistor radio just wasn't going to do it for them. The next available route was home audio stuff with speakers like we design.

Today's youth has access to some first rate sound technology designed to meet their smart phone enabled life style. Can it match many of the DIY designs in volume and fidelity? No. But the mass produced, DSP enabled, psycho-acoustically engineered little boxes do an amazing job for what they are. It's just too convenient, too integrated, too functional for them to look elsewhere. John Henry versus the steam powered hammer.

But they'll get older and with that comes change. Then we'll see if the BT minis get relegated to the kitchen or bathroom. It was mentioned earlier that home theater may be a the route. I agree. That may be the new driving force for "conventional" sound systems. Whereas in older times the driving force was "I want the pay Led Zeppelin, and loud." At least for me it was.

Our neck of the woods has definitely gotten smaller for many reasons. A big part of that maybe losing the youth to technology (i.e., products) targeted at their lifestyle.

Comment

The tactile sensation of music has always been a big part of the human experience and I don't think it's going away any time soon. The pendulum is swung one way for the time being as technology has made smaller and smaller devices that can play music, but it will come back the other way eventually after a good balance is found.

The return pendulum swing is happening right now with records and turntables as folks are realizing that some part of the musical experience is missing when music is treated as disposable. It's slightly misplaced IMO, and records will lose favor as the pendulum swings back, but I think it is a sign that people want more from music than what it has become lately.

Not everyone is willing to pay the price that we do to bring the extreme components of music into our homes, but I think there will always be some that do. With this said, my particular circle of people is much like the OP's. Nobody around me cares about great sound, but a targeted search outside my immediate circle has revealed many of us roaming around.

Dan
                              The Hurricanes
                              The Baronettes
                              Conneccentric
                              UX3

Comment

Working...
                              X