No announcement yet.

Is it still worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to the latest Star Wars movie and explain to them that they'll never experience sound like that from headphones or a tabletop bluetooth system. They'll figure it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stormtroopers 2014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1356520

(Shameless opportunity to post a picture of my 2014 Stormtrooper build!)

Marty

Comment

Yesterday I was waiting for a flight and there was a young woman wearing Beats headphones, which are evidently all about marketing rather than sound, but she was also wearing a knit hat under the Beats. I'm sure she thought everything sounded great.
      It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
        (Shameless opportunity to post a picture of my 2014 Stormtrooper build!)

Marty
        Thou is well trained in the Jedi arts ...

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Thou is well trained in the Jedi arts ...
          This was definitely my 'Iamonewiththeforce, theforceiswithme' moment. I have ObiwanChrisRoemer to thank for much of the success with this project.

Comment

When I was young, the youths had boomboxes.

​Now the youths have Bluetooth speakers, basically the same thing with a bit more battery life and a different source for the music.

I won't right off the youth just yet :-).

Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Modern pop music is so bad and poorly recorded that today's youth wouldn't know how to listen to decent tunes, even if they could find them. It's not about the music.

Sub-par audio quality taints these otherwise beautifully styled and solidly built headphones.

Comment

Also, I suspect everything possible is done to distract the audience from the limited- to no-talent primary performers on stage and in videos, like flashing strobe lights, pyrotechnics, background dancers, large-screen video displays, excessive loudness, etc.
                Paul

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                Modern pop music is so bad and poorly recorded that today's youth wouldn't know how to listen to decent tunes, even if they could find them. It's not about the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  Also, I suspect everything possible is done to distract the audience from the limited- to no-talent primary performers on stage and in videos, like flashing strobe lights, pyrotechnics, background dancers, large-screen video displays, excessive loudness, etc.
                  Paul

Agreed: here's a link to a video about the quality of modern pap - there was a discussion on this topic in PETT a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

I tried playing a modern, compressed and limited recording (Red Hot Chilli Peppers Californication) on my system when I got my marvellous 'Slapshot' speakers by Curt Campbell. It sounded awful: shrill, no light and shade, tinny drums and a harsh vocal sound - but it doesn't sound quite that bad on our car stereo for example.

And I can't stand that stuff with one alleged 'star', about six back up singers (as there's no using Autotune or ProTools on stage!) and 20 dancers to try and take your mind off the drivel. Or singers who think they need to include their entire vocal range in one word...or.. rant over!

Most people will discover good music in time, but many people never will and I think this would apply to most generations. Jimi Hendrix once said that there are two kinds of music: good and bad; and to me good music, whatever the genre, has to have a soul, a purpose and needs to entertain and stimulate.

There has always been dreadful pop music but these days it seems much more intrusive and ephemeral than say, 20 years ago.

Geoff
                  Last edited by Geoff Millar; 12-19-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Good reasons for the decline of hobbyist audio were already listed in this thread.

One more reason: the "audiophile" hobby itself is a total joke in the minds of the public. It's synonymous with morons who spend $25,000 on speaker cables and fetishize audio equipment to an unhealthy degree. Mention the term "audiophile" to somebody and ask them what that term conjures up. The word represents obsessive lunatics, idiots with too much money, or both. Who would want to be involved with that?

Of course, we know that most people in this hobby are actually pretty reasonable. We know that if you know your stuff and don't mind some DIY, you can get a really nice audio experience for a few hundred bucks and a really outstanding one for less than a grand. And we know that expenditure will pay "dividends" for years because it will still sound good decades from now.

And one more reason: most people have never heard a nice audio system. Growing up, most of us heard a nice system that belonged to our older brothers or parents or uncles or neighbors. Thus began the love affair. Where would somebody even hear that nowadays?

I don't sweat it, though. It's a fun hobby for me. Their loss.

Comment

Hey Martyh, Beautiful job on the Stormtroopers!

Comment

Originally posted by bigg View Post
                        A few of you were following my Galactica lls that I renamed the King Tuts. I ran into a funds problem for finishing these so I've been building different speakers that I hoped I could sell to raise more funds for the King Tuts. However, nothing I build will sell anymore. I've tried some real small ones but they aren't going anywhere either. Now I know from the young people around here that the only stereo they have, or even want, is their iPhone or Bose wave music box. They don't care about anything else for music. So I guess I'm feeling like the kind of things some of us like to build and share on this forum are becoming obsolete as the older generations die off. Tell me it ain't so!
                        You are correct, the general population wants everything small with most features as possible. Selling this stuff is almost a niche market. If your targeting sales, you need a website, youtube videos, some form of advertising. Myself for instance, I build alot of small amps. I make so many, then I try to sell a couple just to buy more parts to support my obsession, but rarely do I make a cent of profit. Thats ok for me, because I'm not trying to make money. People aren't willing to pay if they don't know what there buying.

Comment

maybe some are . . . I can't wait to see these painted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1356352[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n1356353[/ATTACH]

Those sure look purdy!

Comment

Comment

Kids don't have money, Young adults don't have money. So what do you expect them to buy? I built a large pair of monkey coffin Bluetooth speakers with a major brands Wifi/Bluetooth interface.

Build cost $435, Asking price $950, sold $775 on Facebook. Just bring your phone and they had a massive stereo. Bought for 17 year old girl by her father to stream and play records.with.....a little surprising I must admit. $340, not a bad profit for an experiment. Should make more profit in the future.

You have to #1 make a speaker that other people don't already make and #2 make sure people will want it if you go into the unknown (ask your friends). For me this is easy, I have worked in audio for decades now. But when you have a design in mind draw it on a CAD program and take a picture of your drawing and search photos on Google and see how many other people make what you are thinking of making. Adjust accordingly.

The branding Idea that someone mentioned helps too if you are going to continue building, you want the speakers you sold to sell themselves in your purchasers home. My speakers have my facebook/website written on them so I can be contacted..

People care about sound quality, but sound quality is a luxury item. Not too many can afford this luxury after being scammed on student loans, and part time BS jobs. But there is a glimmer of hope for the future finances of millennials.
                              “Never ask people about your work.”
                              ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Working...
                              X