Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's listed!!! Peerless STW-350 is soon to be available at PE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's listed!!! Peerless STW-350 is soon to be available at PE...

The new Peerless STW-350...
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1652

Arriving 1/2/18,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Thanks for the update!

All that money and only 10.4mm of Xmax though!?!? I am sure it will be extremely accurate based upon the vc size & quality of motor design. In the days of longer stroke woofers, you would think it would have at least 18mm.

Comment

Most of it will still be heat based on the eff. Good thing is has a heating element from an electric stove for a coil!

It seems like a lot of detail was put into it. It also seems like it will need A LOT of support (big, capable amp, DSP possibly, and on..) but it just seems like another monster subwoofer, and everything working with monster subs entail to pull everything out of it. I have no doubt could be a great driver for the right app.

P.s. I like the inner motor and think more driver mfgs should be moving to this for high BL applications.

Comment

Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
        Thanks for the update!

All that money and only 10.4mm of Xmax though!?!? I am sure it will be extremely accurate based upon the vc size & quality of motor design. In the days of longer stroke woofers, you would think it would have at least 18mm.
        This woofer is very unconventional as I'm sure you can figure out. This Xmax rating on paper is incredibly conservative based on our "bench testing"...where we achieved close to 3" peak to peak travel. The driver didn't break a sweat. At that point we were basically at the mechanical limits of the spider but it was clean. That 10.4mm rating is meaningless.

I do not recommend inverting this thing, it has ample venting but is still fairly noisy from behind.

IIRC Peerless cannot accurately rate the thermal capabilities of this. It took 56 volts at 20 Hz free air during our testing (ok...it was more playing than testing) and other than dancing all over the place it could've taken that all day long.

Matt
        Your results may vary.

Comment

A little bird working for Tymphany told me SVS uses a variant of this driver in one of their high power applications.

This same bird shared some of the early data with me, no worries about that Xmax rating. I can tell you who should be worried, are those companies selling similarly priced drivers with a lot less capabilities. I imagine at some point, those very expensive 8-12" drivers will have a lot to answer for...
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

johnnyrichards I heard the same...on this forum some months ago. This is the DIY version of the SVS PB16 Ultra.

anunnaki You may want to take a closer look at the data for this driver, usable excursion is more like +/- 20mm: http://www.tymphany.com/stw/

It provides a lot of bass in a relatively small package, provided you have the amplifier power to drive it, for a 15" sub it's not that sensitive.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I will be getting some the day after they are available and have some UcD2K mono blocks with 3K smps ready to
              put them through their paces!
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post

This woofer is very unconventional as I'm sure you can figure out. This Xmax rating on paper is incredibly conservative based on our "bench testing"...where we achieved close to 3" peak to peak travel. The driver didn't break a sweat. At that point we were basically at the mechanical limits of the spider but it was clean. That 10.4mm rating is meaningless.

I do not recommend inverting this thing, it has ample venting but is still fairly noisy from behind.

IIRC Peerless cannot accurately rate the thermal capabilities of this. It took 56 volts at 20 Hz free air during our testing (ok...it was more playing than testing) and other than dancing all over the place it could've taken that all day long.

Matt
                This reminds me of when the Sunfire True Subwoofer came out many years ago. It was rumored you could plug the 8" active driver into the wall and it would play the 60Hz tone all day long.

Since we had one on display at the store, we did...

To this day I have never been so terrified of a DUT, and amazed at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post

This reminds me of when the Sunfire True Subwoofer came out many years ago. It was rumored you could plug the 8" active driver into the wall and it would play the 60Hz tone all day long.

To this day I have never been so terrified of a DUT, and amazed at the same time.
                  What is a DUT? 3600w at 4 ohms that driver must have smoked pretty quickly!

With this new Peerless wired at 16 ohms 120vac will only be 900 Watts... Some people these dayz might consider 60hz continuos "music".
                  Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I'm sure this thing could take a wall socket and laugh, the voice coil is truly ridiculous to behold. The best way to describe it is to think of one of those charcoal chimney starters without a handle.
                    Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post

What is a DUT?
                      Device under test.
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

That thing is quite impressive. I'm betting someone on here is already on the PE waiting list in hopes of being the very first to buy one and build a box with a 10,000 watt amp.

Comment

It's impressive for sure, the 10mm overhang/2 Xmax is meaningless for BL impact with a gap this long. The frame design is cool, I dig the rear fastening implementation. 56 volts at 20hz... that's nuts. I worry about the low-level performance of supersub drivers, sometimes I feel like the true monsters don't hit their stride until some meaningful power is flowing. Not saying that's the case here of course- just a concern.

Comment

The Sunfire was a 10" HiVi SP10 in it's last days, though there was an 8" version at one point. The Sunfire was a 2700W system, so 1800W from 120V/15A doesn't seem so bad.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

The Sunfire was a 10" HiVi SP10 in it's last days, though there was an 8" version at one point. The Sunfire was a 2700W system, so 1800W from 120V/15A doesn't seem so bad.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              That was the logic we used... It took it, didn't overly enjoy it, but ran for a good 5 min. without damage. Connecting it was the real challange.... After a couple sparks that made me jump, I got smart and threw the breaker, connected it, THEN powered up... It was fun, and a nice box to tick off the speaker bucket list. There are other drivers that can do that now...I would wager this one could no problem... We ARE talking 60Hz here which is nothing to modern Xmax monsters, but in the mid 90's it was something to behold!

Comment

Working...
                              X