Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's listed!!! Peerless STW-350 is soon to be available at PE...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A supplier who built subwoofer drivers for a former company of mine dared me to try that with the dual spider, 18", 60 pound driver they built for us. I don't know how long the driver could last, but I was only good for about 15-20 seconds! (The folks in the neighboring offices were none too happy about it either.)

The driver in question is the large one in the photo. The other is a 12" sub driver for size comparison.

Comment

I have a 15" very close to that of the one on the left. Mine is very similar to that of the 15" used in the Wilson Audio 'Thor's Hammer', and the former Memphis LVS15. So which company? NCA Labs? Memphis? I know NCA made the unit I have.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I have a 15" very close to that of the one on the left. Mine is very similar to that of the 15" used in the Wilson Audio 'Thor's Hammer', and the former Memphis LVS15. So which company? NCA Labs? Memphis? I know NCA made the unit I have.

Later,
        Wolf
        It was Glen Stasky at NCA Labs who made them for me between 2002 and 2007. They have been very reliable. I only know of one failure to date and that was one my business partner had in his home theater! I never got a look at it, so I don't know what the failure mode was.

I still have a closet full of spares. I have been toying with the idea of building a W-Frame sub with a pair of them:

Comment

That thing looks sick. When is the 10" version going to be available?

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
            johnnyrichards I heard the same...on this forum some months ago. This is the DIY version of the SVS PB16 Ultra.

anunnaki You may want to take a closer look at the data for this driver, usable excursion is more like +/- 20mm: http://www.tymphany.com/stw/

It provides a lot of bass in a relatively small package, provided you have the amplifier power to drive it, for a 15" sub it's not that sensitive.
            Yeah, I had a bit of a wry grin when I saw that "inside" info posted here, too.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I wonder how long before the apologists crawl out of the woodwork for those "S, A, and M" branded $500 11-13" drivers... :-p

Comment

high spl ,less than 84 dB ? no attacks ,just an explanation , am i missing something ?
                donc

Comment

These have already been seriously discussed on many Facebook Audio pages. Throwing the numbers into WBCD, a pair of PSI 15" high excursion PRs, with 1200gm added to each, 4cu ft enclosure (gross), . Use a HP at 18Hz BW2, LP at 60 LR4 results in an fb of 19.5. f3/6/10 of 18.5/17/14. The PRs have 80mm of xmax. With 2000w, SPL comes in at 116db. PRs price out at $200ea. Pretty beastly!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                    high spl ,less than 84 dB ? no attacks ,just an explanation , am i missing something ?
                    donc
                    I understand what you're saying. Claiming high spl, but only 82, 83 db.? What happened in the last 20 years when 88-90 db was the norm. Now we settle for less because there's el cheapo, chinese made 10,000 watt amps out there for $299.

Anyone else long for the good ol' days?

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                      These have already been seriously discussed on many Facebook Audio pages.
                      Okay...but not everyone checks out facebook.
                      Last edited by Waboo; 12-19-2017, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I'm planning on building a 3.6 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 19 Hz for the STW-350. The only problem is that the vents are so large that the final volume is almost 8 cubic feet (2 3"7" vents 92" long). The 300-8005 SPA2400DSP amp should be a perfect match for it, just run one channel to each coil. I haven't decided if I'm going to mount the amp in the enclosure yet... I might as well, I'm going to need access to the back for the rear mounting holes anyways.

The auto room calibration will be scary!
                        Dayton Audio SPA2400DSP 2400W Subwoofer Amplifier with DSP

Comment

If it was me- I would false-wall it. Make a removable panel behind the plate amp so you can get in there, and seal it well. The pressures can't be good for the amplifier.
                          Of note- the 2400DSP is rated to what at 8 ohms? It's not listed at PE's product page, and not in the manual .pdf, so I'm curious.

I'm in the same boat for my NCA, as the dual 4" dimple-precision-ports will be 20" long.

Here is the original thread. and I think it was mentioned here that it had the same motor as the Ultra16:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...on-the-horizon

A BEAST INDEED!
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                            donc

Yes you are, basic T/S parameter analysis. ;) If you look at all the other parameters besides the sensitivity rating, you should [hopefully] be able to see that it has to be that much (or little, what ever you wish to call it).

A little formula that I memorized way way back in the early 90's from a book:

Note this this is specific for midband 1W/1m sensitivity which is above the EBP frequency of Fs/Qes, but often times manufacturers cite the sensitivity figure based on their own specific frequency range, so it won't always match to the "pdf files". In any case, it gives you a good idea of the general capability of the driver.

Qes is generally bound by motor force factor, so if you want more SPL without changing the motor, Vas and/or Fs have to "give". But if you increase Vas you now have a larger box requirement, and if you increase Fs, you reduce the low-corner bass output capability.

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post

I understand what you're saying. Claiming high spl, but only 82, 83 db.? What happened in the last 20 years when 88-90 db was the norm. Now we settle for less because there's el cheapo, chinese made 10,000 watt amps out there for $299.

Anyone else long for the good ol' days?

For a given extension, we have traded high sensitivity and huge enclosures for low sensitivity and small enclosures. Nothing to do with your rant on amp sourcing, rather everything to do with driver designers understanding that displacement is historically the limiting factor in making loud bass - not calculated sensitivity. Giving it requires what, 4x the displacement for each halving of the frequency being reproduced to reach a given SPL, it is only natural that subwoofer design tends towards focusing on moving air, not on voltage sensitivity. Some of the "good" old 15" drivers are incapable of reaching the output levels of a good 8" these days - in extension, SPL, and distortion.

These are the good ol' days.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Perez View Post
                                I'm planning on building a 3.6 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 19 Hz for the STW-350. The only problem is that the vents are so large that the final volume is almost 8 cubic feet (2 3"7" vents 92" long).
                                This driver screams for lots of PR area. These 12" PR's have 4" p-p excursion (claimed), and are only $62ea on Amazon right now. I just bought 4. Two on the opposite side of the woofer, and then one each on the other two remaining sides should take care of this 15" beast for a lot less than two PSI 15" hi-excursion PR's.

Comment

Working...
                                X