Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mordaunt-Short MS3.2 tweeter replacement...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mordaunt-Short MS3.2 tweeter replacement...

One of the tweeters for my 27 year old MS3.2s seems to have lost a bit of its output capability. The tweeters are Audax TW6 drivers with removable custom flanges. PE does have a replacement that should work (once the flange is changed) - https://www.parts-express.com/advent...-iii--299-2002. However, as I'm planning to redo the x-over anyway, should I go with a more modern tweeter?

​I found two on the PE website that have dimensions that suggest that they might fit without extensive modification to the speaker box:

Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eeter--275-030

Peerless by Tymphany NE19VTS-04 - https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1006

​I'm basically limited to choices that have a flange that's 60mm or less in size, and the mounting diameter has to be 46mm or less.

​Should I go for the upgrade, and if I do, which tweeter do you suggest I use?

The second picture shows the response of one of the speakers with and without the tweeter.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

How audible is that drop? Does it jump-out at you?

I'd use a different tweeter just because the stock tweeter looks rather uninspiring.

I know, hardly scientific.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
      How audible is that drop? Does it jump-out at you?

I'd use a different tweeter just because the stock tweeter looks rather uninspiring.

I know, hardly scientific.
      ​I sometimes noticed a difference, but now I've measured the difference, I notice it all the time, LOL.

LOL - "uninspiring" is quite a fitting term. The original tweeter is also surrounded by an additional rubber flange, and the 27 years have not been kind to it. I'm really stuck on if I should just take the lazy route and replace the original tweeters with what essentially are likely to be plug-in replacements, or go with a solution that's going to involve a bit more customization, knowing my carpentry skills (or lack thereof).

​Another possible solution presented itself - the SEAS 27TFFNC/G, available off the other DIY site. These are actually pretty good and I use two in my car, but at $40 a pop seem a bit expensive for this particular project.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Just a quick update - I purchased the Advent replacement tweeters, and as I suspected, the drivers were removable from the flange, and they matched what I had in the Mordaunt-Shorts. Measured frequency response was pretty close too (to the original working tweeter). I redesigned the x-over a bit to flatten the response (basically take down the output a bit around 3~4kHz and fill in a dip between 5~8kHz. The original x-over was a simple first order electrical with some padding on the tweeter. The replacement is second order electrical on both drivers, at basically the same x-over point. Not only does it smooth the total response a bit, now there's a bit of extra protection for the tweeter at low frequencies.

​It's not a total success though. One of the tweeters is showing a spike in distortion at 3kHz (and again at 6kHz). Grr. I'm going to take a good listen to see if I can hear any audible impact of that spike, but I may end up having to order another pair of these replacement tweeters.

Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Here's the THD of the problematic tweeter. I've seen this type of distortion profile below - looks like it may be an issue with the dome.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Another that might work for you is the Wavecor TW022.

Comment

Working...
            X