Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge: Can anyone Emulate the bass of this speaker at a reasonable cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge: Can anyone Emulate the bass of this speaker at a reasonable cost?

Saw these for sale on craigslist https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...645/index.html

Wasted time reading the fantastic Stereophile review, arrived and they were sold, but the guy, let me hear them anyways, as the buyer was collecting them in a few days.
    I was super impressed with the sound of these, and particularly the deep bass.https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

I mean I did not expect great low to mid 30s extension, and at loud levels!
    What 2 similar 8" woofers could equal the bass in something this size or similar in DIY stuff?

about 2.3 cu ft. or 65 litres.

I realize the Sensitivity may be hard to equal, but that is not the most important thing.

A pair of the Dayton DSA 8" in a moderate EBS alignment with a bit less BSC than "normal" will come close. Looking at the measurement of the Athena, it appears this is one thing they have done to increase sensitivity - there is less than the full 6db of BSC, looks more like 4db. It would help to pinpoint tuning decisions if they normalized their measurements, however.

Top the pair of Daytons off with that new Tymphany DX25 variant and I am sure you could duplicate the sound of the Athena more or less.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

RS225's ... my woofers are in the same size tuned to 40 in room low 30's and sensitivity of 89db's ....
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

Something like this would be nice. I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Classix 2.5, but i'm afraid they won't be that great as TV speakers as well. I just do not have a place for a sub in my living room.

Comment

pretty glowing review. It can easily be exceeded by DIY, the prime example being the statements, but cannot be matched in cost. DIY cannot compete with mass market and a nicely designed budget speaker that actually sounds good and measures decently is not going to be beaten even if they have marketing cost, and we do not count our labor. Where DIY is great is for mid-market stuff - target the 2k to 20k range, but again if you add your labor and pay yourself a decent hourly rate and showroom floor space in your living room.... Boutique exotic aluminium block machined diamond studded speakers is another area to be best left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
            It can easily be exceeded by DIY
            +1, I don't see anything about it to get all that excited about. The price is quite reasonable, but eight inch woofers with one inch voice coils are probably of the fifteen to twenty dollar variety.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

pretty glowing review. It can easily be exceeded by DIY, the prime example being the statements, but cannot be matched in cost. DIY cannot compete with mass market and a nicely designed budget speaker that actually sounds good and measures decently is not going to be beaten even if they have marketing cost, and we do not count our labor. Where DIY is great is for mid-market stuff - target the 2k to 20k range, but again if you add your labor and pay yourself a decent hourly rate and showroom floor space in your living room.... Boutique exotic aluminium block machined diamond studded speakers is another area to be best left alone.

Keep in mind this is a speaker from about 2003 or so.
              They were sold in circuit city, and used prices today seem to be a fantastic value!

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                +1, I don't see anything about it to get all that excited about. The price is quite reasonable, but eight inch woofers with one inch voice coils are probably of the fifteen to twenty dollar variety.
                I was not sure what to think either. But the execution was really decent considering the price and it being a mass market CC speaker from the early 2000s.
                It simply was more than I was expecting, but not the greatest.
                Oh well guess you had to hear them.

Comment

Dave Tennie's "Dayton 8" comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                    I was not sure what to think either. But the execution was really decent considering the price and it being a mass market CC speaker from the early 2000s.
                    It simply was more than I was expecting, but not the greatest.
                    Oh well guess you had to hear them.

No worries, in this case it makes sense to just buy it, as matching it $ for $ in DIY would not be possible especially for a 600$ pair speaker in 2000's going used now should be very cheap.

Comment

No worries, in this case it makes sense to just buy it, as matching it $ for $ in DIY would not be possible especially for a 600$ pair speaker in 2000's going used now should be very cheap.

oh it sold really fast. Same day as listed.
                      He was asking $175.00 for the pair.
                      I was on my way, but someone already got them!
                      He let me hear them as I had already made it there, and maybe that made them more impressive....!

Comment

I have a pair of these guys little brother, the AS-F1, in my basement. Basically the same drivers as this, but only a single woofer. It sounds very similar to Paul C's Amiga.

Comment

I would think DIY has a hard time competing with commercial designs on several levels, time and cost, a chief among them. But I can think of two reasons for DIY: (1) It's a hobby. People derive enjoyment from their hobbies; and (2) A custom design (size, finish, intended use, etc.) for a need that commercial speakers just can not fulfill.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

I would think DIY has a hard time competing with commercial designs on several levels, time and cost, a chief among them. But I can think of two reasons for DIY: (1) It's a hobby. People derive enjoyment from their hobbies; and (2) A custom design (size, finish, intended use, etc.) for a need that commercial speakers just can not fulfill.
                            If you look at it as a hobby, I believe you can exceed commercial designs in quality for the $$ invested. As I view it as a hobby, I don't view my time as part of the cost calculations. If I didn't view it as a hobby it would be a different calculation, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                              Awww come on!

I thought it was impressive to get a real 35hz, from a 2.3 cu ft box and still have really good efficiency and go up to levels that were beyond what I would call normal loud, and still sound composed.

My floor standers I own now (Polk audio Lsi15's) while refined and smooth, could not even begin to touch the bass depth and power these had. Yes I know only 1 8" woofer, but still not even close.
                              Normally I use some small monitors with a sub, and get great deep bass, but I guess have not heard a decent sized floor stander that could compete with my sub was all. (Velodyne Ct120)

Comment

Working...
                              X