No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2018 dates are official!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One huge THANK YOU to Ben and all sponsors and organizers for this event!
    The theme competition was excellent and all the entries were very well done. The non-themed speakers were varied and inspiring to see and hear.

Seeing the vintage prototype RCA / Olson speaker was very cool. Built in 1950, it is slightly older than me and still performed admirably. Remarkable coincidence that it also fits the theme since it is a co-axial driver. Its presenter(Sorry, I forget his name) gave a very good summary of its history.

Really enjoyed Andrew Jones and his short lecture, too. I find him to be not only a world class designer, but a remarkable ambassador for the industry and great communicator--a truly talented man. Whenever I visit his exhibits at AXPONA, he is very approachable, and his enthusiasm for sharing his work is readily apparent. It was great to spend some informal time with him. He is an asset to whatever company is privileged to employ him.

Classy move to see Jeff Bagby receive recognition for his lifetime contribution to the DIY community.

It was great to meet with regulars, and I very much enjoyed the new attendees I met, too.

Marv Schaap
    Last edited by marvin; 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Thank you to everyone that attended, the sponsors that supported, the people that helped run/setup/tear-down whether a spectator or contributor, the crew at the Trolley Bar, and thank you to the fun that was had all weekend.

The "Keeping up with the Joneses" theme challenge this year was *incredibly* tight, and all were within a flea-fart of each other. Miniscule voicing/tonal balance differences were basically what it came down to. The fact that Andrew Jones himself took time to come out here from California because of this was an added bonus, and he was a welcome addition to this year's focused challenge.

Let me be the first and not the last to internet-publicly congratulate Keith Etheredge for his win in this year's theme with his "762" coaxial + woofer¬*design. He worked hard and posted a lot of detail about his endeavor building these. Way to go, Keith!!

Special thanks to John Hollander, Chuck Morris, Mike Patterson, Ben Cooper, Mark Sayer, Steve Vinson, JasonP, and everyone else that helped this show flow over the 2-day course, as well as their help in¬*planning to get this show off the ground. Without this group of people helping me this event would not go as smoothly as is typical.

To anyone whom would like to know the house tracklist for this event, it was as follows:

1- Pink Noise
      2- "Rescuing Sarah", from Jurassic Park- the Lost World soundtrack.
      3- "Goodbye Honey", from Ryan Adams' album Heartbreaker -¬*Deluxe Edition, off the bonus session disc.
      4- "Stone Cold", from Demi Lovato's album Confident.
      5- "Gun Street Girl", from Tom Waits' album Rain Dogs.
      6- "Dreams", from The Cranberries' album Something Else.
      7- "Kill Will", from LSU's album Grace Shaker.

The theme tracks were ran off another demo that was present, since the actual disc was mishandled by the USPS, and the second copy did not show up on Saturday. We used that of the Iowa 2014 disc, the first 3 minutes of the demo. Thank you Craig Salin for having this handy and on site.

I don't know what happened with the CD burning process this year, but it seems only about 6-10 good copies of the 30 house track discs actually took during the creation process. I gave a copy to Bryan Keane to host on MAC, so this should be available in the near future to download for those that did not get a copy.

My count of attendees plus a few additional people that were not on the original list is approximately 57. This is the most we've had in awhile at InDIYana, but I don't believe it is a new record for attendance.

Again- THANK YOU to everyone that came and made InDIYana what it was this year! Let's make next year just as grand!

Later,
      Wolf
      Last edited by Wolf; 04-29-2018, 11:39 AM.
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Congrats Keith, excellent job!

Comment

• Nice Job Keith!
          Which speaker made it to the 'Championship Game' with Keith in the final round?

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            Nice Job Keith! Which speaker made it to the 'Championship Game' with Keith in the final round? TomZ
            I think it was his, Nickís Americana, and Javadís Pretty Persuasions.
            -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Mine and Paul's were the other two.

Comment

• Any links to the first, second, and third place designs?

Comment

• Originally posted by philthien View Post
                  Any links to the first, second, and third place designs?
                  Only the 1st-place winner is determined (by a hand-count vote), but since my speaker, the Cabaletta, was one of the other two in the final round, I've attached a 1-page highlights description.
                  Paul
                  Cabaletta highlights.pdf

Comment

• We hit the rounds by 3s this year in terms of eliminations. There were 9 entries, 3 of which were floor standers, so they went against each other. Here was the breakdown, winner of category in bold print:

PaulK's "Cabaletta"/JHollander's TMM (name?)/Bill's 'Kowaxials"; JH used a PK165/ND20 coaxial homebrew, and I liked it a lot.

1100xxben's Dayton RSS265+5.25"coax/Javad's "Pretty Persuasions"/Keith's "762"; this round was really tough, and consisted of the larger bookshelves (if you really want to call Ben's bookshelves is up for debate. I don't know of a bookshelf¬*that large.). Keith only edged out Javad by a single vote, and Ben's were really good too.

Billet's (name?)/PatrickG's (name?)/Nick's "Americana"; I was really taken aback by Billet's entry. They were unbraced, very lightweight, sealed, plywood boxes, and the coax tweeter was glued to the grille over the face of the driver. I really did not expect these to sound very good, but I was very surprised they sounded as good as they did. They impressed me.

Then we faced the 3 off head to head, and you know the result!
                    Thanks for all whom entered the theme challenge!

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Thanks for the mention, I was very happy and more than a little surprised at the sound of my speakers also. It may not look like it from the outside, but I put a lot of development work into them. A little finish and some cloth grilles are in the plan.

Also, much thanks for such an excellent meet, it was a truly great event. There were many excellent speakers there. How cool that Andrew Jones showed up, chatted with many people, and provided a very insightful presentation. First class all of the way!

Bill

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

Thanks for sharing this great weekend with me! As usual for one of these events, I made some new friends, and deepened friendships with others I'd met before. I'm proud to be a part of this group and contribute to the craft.

I was quite surprised when my design was chosen as the best sounding of the day. Honestly, I'm still pretty speechless about it! The competition this year was phenomenal. I was listening HARD for anything that called too much attention to itself, or detracted from the overall experience. Nothing popped out to me, which made my own decision making process darn near impossible.

For those who were asking about a link to my design, It's here on the forum. See the link for "SevenSixTwos" in my signature line.

Hope I get to see most of you again at MWAF. If you can't make it, then I'll see you online!

Keith
                        Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                        Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                        The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                        SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

• Huge thanks to Ben and Chuck for putting on such a great DIY event.¬* Every speaker sounded good and it was great to see old friends and meet some new ones.¬* I could rant a bit about the rudeness of a few people in the back talking excessively loud during most demos, but since two of them are employed by this forum's owner I'll leave it at that.
                          Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                            Huge thanks to Ben and Chuck for putting on such a great DIY event.¬* Every speaker sounded good and it was great to see old friends and meet some new ones.¬* I could rant a bit about the rudeness of a few people in the back talking excessively loud during most demos, but since two of them are employed by this forum's owner I'll leave it at that.
                            Yeah, it's always rough. Some people were there to chat or do business, but it's really hard to listen critically while people are talking. I don't know if we'll ever have a truly silent room.
                            Eric L.

Comment

• Thanks Wolf and Chuck and whomever else helped them with this gathering, as well as the sponsors. Having Andrew Jones on hand was a plus. I had a really good time yacking with a variety of people and enjoyed seeing new faces.
                              Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                                Huge thanks to Ben and Chuck for putting on such a great DIY event.¬* Every speaker sounded good and it was great to see old friends and meet some new ones.¬* I could rant a bit about the rudeness of a few people in the back talking excessively loud during most demos, but since two of them are employed by this forum's owner I'll leave it at that.
                                I'd like to personal apologize for this behavior. It's truly is unacceptable.

Comment

Working...
                                X