Does anybody else wish..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+ a lot!

I also enjoy the design more than the woodworking part. I have looked at AliExpress, but have not found anything worthwhile there. The BR1 cabinets are nice for the price. I wish they would come in different sizes.
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

A whole range of knock down MDF enclosures would be great!

Comment

I think due to the range of cabinet sizes and dimensions, it's not a feasible aspect of DIY audio for PE. As an example, look at how many people discourage off the shelf XOs and how limited off the shelf XOs are. I would say though, providing custom cabinetry service wouldn't be a bad thing for a fellow on the boards or for PE - I think that might be part of PE's OEM service though; not too sure though since I'm not familiar with that aspect of their business.

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorecap View Post
          I think due to the range of cabinet sizes and dimensions, it's not a feasible aspect of DIY audio for PE. As an example, look at how many people discourage off the shelf XOs and how limited off the shelf XOs are. I would say though, providing custom cabinetry service wouldn't be a bad thing for a fellow on the boards or for PE - I think that might be part of PE's OEM service though; not too sure though since I'm not familiar with that aspect of their business.
          Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
          transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
          Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
          References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
          Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
            Does anybody else wish PE offered a nice variety of inexpensive premade and prefinished speaker cabinets? The curved ones are nice but super expensive. I’m thinking more along the lines and price range of the BR1 cabs. I know they have the overseas resources to do it. Even like the Dayton towers and BR1s with blank baffles..

I don’t have enough time to crank out cabs and am not good at finishing. I know there are a lot of talented woodworkers here that enjoy the cabinet work, but I enjoy the rest of it more personally.

If not from PE, is there another (reputable) source of them? I’m sure aliexpress has them but I would be aftraid they would be made of lead paint and who knows what else..
            In a word, yes. Not for myself as I live in Melbourne and shipping would be prohibitive.

For me, the cabinet was the most problematic part of DIY speakers: I just couldn't see a home made cabinet looking any good and meeting the WAF test: my first pair would be our main living room speakers.

Most cabinet makers here are just not interested in doing speakers, and if they are, it's at a cost which makes DIY a poor option to buying second hand. I was lucky enough to find a family friend to do my first pair. Great job and less than half a cabinet makers' price! I did look into doing something with the BR-1 cabinets but shipping was too high.

The BR-1 cabinets look OK to me and maybe a few standard sizes would sell, and would encourage people to get into DIY. For example, the 1 cu ft knock down tower has been used in many projects. If these were done in a BR-1 type of finish, and cost maybe $200 a pair, that should be an attractive proposition.

Since my first project I've made my own cabinets but they're pretty home made!

Geoff

Comment

Pre-fab cabs like the BR 1's would be very convenient.
              A few more sizes and shapes of knock down cabs would be great too. Maybe some full range kits for beginners.

Comment

When I was a management consultant we had full model shops to produce prototypes. The wood shop had a cabinet table saw, planer, jointer etc. I'd be building for the heck of it with that shop. Alas, that is long gone for me and my Ryboi table saw is bottom of the line. But with that, I can get close and use a router to flush trim all the edges. In the absence of a table saw, HD will cut mdf or ply to your rough dimensions and you can finish off with the router flush trim bit.

So I thought if I needed to build, I would use ply of a suitable wood for the sides and bottom and poplar for the baffle and top. If you think about it a bit, the only exposed edges can be the sides of the poplar, rounded on the baffle sides and top. Then finish the poplar with danish oil (tinted or not) and stain & poly the ply surfaces. Having never done any real finishing or any veneer at all, I though that would be the easiest entry into a finished cab with more than respectable results.

For my only project, I bought my first ever router to recess drivers and after several practice runs on scrap, I was good to go. The Dewalt compact router (Model # DWP611) is a precision machine (for this novice anyway) and the harbor freight straight cut and rounder over sets were cheap (they're made by skill) and they performed admirably. My first (and only) baffle came out perfect. That Dewalt is always on sale this time of year (I didn't even get the plunge base - just finessed it in to start). I got it for < $100 at HD and the 2 sets of bits (w/HF coupons) were under $25 total. Since it was a one-off project, I made my own circle jig to keep costs down.

Having said all that (sorry), one of my pet peeves is that very few members include location in their profile (me included). If more of us did that, I bet there would be lots more members "hooking up", even pooling runs from those who "cut wood in their sleep".

Comment

I would like more options on even unfinished cabinets. Most of the pe flatpacks have weird aesthetics.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dropcarve View Post
                    Pre-fab cabs like the BR 1's would be very convenient.
                    A few more sizes and shapes of knock down cabs would be great too. Maybe some full range kits for beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

Nice knockdown kit for those BMR 3.5” speakers. Where did you find it?

I want!
                      We can't link to PE's competitors, of course.

I'm pretty sure these are from an Australian speaker parts and speaker kit retailer which distributes Dayton components, as well as other products.

As far as I'm aware, the cabinets are not available separately.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

Nice knockdown kit for those BMR 3.5” speakers. Where did you find it?

I want!
                        yep, those are from Australia. I was excited until I saw the cost, 159 bucks.. no way.. Parts Express could easily make a kit like this for less than half that cost and they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Dropcarve View Post
                          yep, those are from Australia. I was excited until I saw the cost, 159 bucks.. no way.. Parts Express could easily make a kit like this for less than half that cost and they should.
                          There's no getting around it, things cost more here: whether it's a car, home renovations, speakers, or cabinetry and wood products.

For example, the MDF I had cut for my Classix II build cost $A85.00, then there were the drivers and crossover parts to add to that: another A$250. And a pair of PE's C-Notes speakers built from local MDF and the drivers sourced from the local Dayton agent would run to about $320, but could be shipped from PE for about $220.

Oh well....

Geoff

Comment

Does DIYAudioGroup have raw knockdown cabs?

Comment

Vinyl wrap and duratex are my new go-to for easy finishes. I did miter joints on the top bottom and sides, inset the back and front mount the front baffle. Easy peasy. Knocking out a cab isn't terribly time consuming, it's the baffle and driver recess that take time, which you would still have to do with a pre-made generic cab.
                              My modest builds:
                              Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                              Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                              Armadillo Center Channel
                              Au-Rock-O Sub
                              Tarkus
                              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Working...
                              X