Wood textured vinyl wrap your pics, thoughs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood textured vinyl wrap your pics, thoughs

I'm thinking about ordering some vvidvid xpro textured wrap. Anyone here uses it, and can you tell me what you think of its quality. I have someone you want some speakers but does not want the cost of veneer, but wants the wood look. I'm looking for a in-between option.
    On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

I have some of the textured teak on order. I'll report back after it comes in and I've used it.

Comment

I haven't used it, but it looks okay from the images at PE and elsewhere online. Like any wood vinyl, it will look okay from a distance, but up close the texture and finish will be obvious that it is vinyl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	350-521_ALT_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	1358503
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Vinyl is pretty thin. Imperfections on the wood surface will show through. I've gone to using laminates for quick finishing purposes.

Comment

I use 3M Di-Noc. It's almost twice as thick as standard wraps, so it's much more durable, and it is virtually indistinguishable from real wood. All of the woodgrain shown here is Di-Noc Gloss Bubinga:
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

That Di-Noc wood stuff is real nice billfitzmaurice, where do you buy it from? I'm looking for a supplier in Canada that carries more than just the faux carbon fibre stuff.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

Unlike vinyl, you can stretch Di-Noc over curved surfaces. See my Chorales project using Di-Noc here:

http://projectgallery.parts-express....rvifa-project/
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Reid, plenty on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-DI-NOC-B...YkXOFQ&vxp=mtr
                Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                Sonata Soundbar Project
                The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Thanks, even on eBay there's limited supply that will ship to Canada, I'll search around some more. The link you provided ships to CONUS only.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                    That Di-Noc wood stuff is real nice where do you buy it from?
                    I get mine from Metro Restyling. https://www.metrorestyling.com/Searc...-noc&Submit=GO

All vinyls will stretch, the problem with most is that it will only stretch so far before it rips apart. Di-Noc is much more rip resistant.
                    You can use a re-shipper to ship to Canada.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      I use 3M Di-Noc. It's almost twice as thick as standard wraps, so it's much more durable, and it is virtually indistinguishable from real wood. All of the woodgrain shown here is Di-Noc Gloss Bubinga:
                      I'll second billfitzmaurice's endorsement of 3M Di-Noc. It is a high quality product. I have used Di-Noc wood, stone, and metallic finishes, and also VViViD films in faux Carbon Fiber. The Di-Noc is easier to apply on complex shapes and the adhesive seems to be more durable. The VViViD product is certainly not "junk" however.

Use of 3M Adhesion Promoter (Primer 94 or WP2000) on sharp edges or corners will help keep the finish "permanent".

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        I get mine from Metro Restyling. https://www.metrorestyling.com/Searc...-noc&Submit=GO

All vinyls will stretch, the problem with most is that it will only stretch so far before it rips apart. Di-Noc is much more rip resistant.
                        You can use a re-shipper to ship to Canada.
                        Thanks, that place will ship to Canada, but its expensive, increases the product cost by 50%. I'll maybe check into a re-shipper but I think the cost is high there as well unless I pool a lot of items together to ship up at once.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post

Thanks, that place will ship to Canada, but its expensive, increases the product cost by 50%. I'll maybe check into a re-shipper but I think the cost is high there as well unless I pool a lot of items together to ship up at once.
                          I was looking at this for a friend. Shipping on a 15" x 8' piece was $7.95 to me in New Jersey. I could check UPS & USPS prices to ship to you in CA but I would need some location info (city, providence, etc.).

Comment

Use USPS if at all possible. UPS, Fedex and the like charge outrageous fees for walking your packages through customs. Or make friends with someone near London who will go pick it up for you in Detroit.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Yeah, they wanted $60 to ship the roll that I put in my cart. I found a local shop that will order whatever I want, so I think I'm good now, but thanks for the offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X