Drilling without a drill press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    John, does she leave because she doesn't want to hear you cursing at yourself for making a mistake, or because she doesn't want to get blamed for distracting you and causing the mistake?
    Paul
    It's mostly because she thinks I'm wasting my time for an improvement she can't see or thinks is unimportant. Things like driver fit, paint roughness, stain blotchiness, and frequency response issues.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
      For about $30 on Amazon you can get one of these hand held drill guides. They are not as accurate as a drill press, but way better than free handing it.
      I've been using one of these for years. It's not as good as a drill press, but it doesn't suck, either. I just plain don't have the floor space for a drill press; so this has to do the trick. Worth the $30, for me anyway.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I have this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/PANOVO-Dowel-...ll+guide&psc=1

It is not BAD but I did not have alignment success. However it does keep it straight. I may be able to make a jig and use this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
          Hi Stephen, I've never had success trying to drill straight holes with my hand drill, but TomZ's got good advice for you. Another trick I've seen is to take two pieces of straight wood and glue / screw them together at a 90 degree angle. As long as you've got them together square and straight, you can hold the guide with your free hand and line the drill bit up where the two faces of wood meet. Keep the bit from wobbling around by using that guide, and you should get relatively straight holes. See some more tips from Popular Mechancs Magazine here

Honestly, the first tool upgrade I made when starting to drill speaker baffles was to get a small drill press. This one still serves in my shop today, even though I bought it's bigger brother for more capacity. WEN 4208 8 inch 5-speed drill press You might find these on sale at Menards too, if you have one of those around.

Good luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1358738[/ATTACH]
          Man for 75 bucks that press seems to be the ticket

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

I've used a scrap block of wood with a saw kerf as a guide and clamped it to the work piece (I had a table saw before I had a drill press).
            John, that's basically what I was trying to say... But you said it so much more efficiently with fewer words.

Comment

Does anyone have the Wen 12" variable speed drill press? Thinking about picking one of these up but I'm not sure if I'm better off spending a little more for a different brand. At only $227 it might be worth taking a chance on.

Or am I going to wish I went with a floor standing drill press instead?

Comment

As a follow up on this I had some good success today. I used this goofy thing I had. It has several sizes for different drill bits. However, it did not have a 1/8 which is what I wanted for some pilot holes. I was really lucky to have a nylon spacers that was 1/4 outside and 1/8 inside and fit perfectly in the 1/4 size.

This allowed me to drill pretty perpendicular. Next I used that to make a templates. I cut a piece the same size as the baffle and drilled that first. I go pretty good at it and the template came out great. I was then able to overlay it on the baffle that is recessed in the cabinet (the grill is recessed as well). That way it was perfectly aligned with the box and baffle. I then drilled through the template with good success.

I did the same for the binding posts on the back. They are now vertically aligned and looking great.

Thank you for all the helpful comments and inspiration.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice!

Two ideas. One, do you have a speed square or other right angle tool? If so, place it it front of your drill and line up your drill so it is lined up in all directions (left/right, front /back). Second, Sears and others make a little drill press attachment that you hook on to any power drill. I have one, I think it cost $25 and it has saved my neck countless times. Here is one:
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T82L
                  Last edited by Jonnywalter; 06-01-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

The same basic device was referenced back in the third post of the thread.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      The same basic device was referenced back in the third post of the thread.
                      Oh,didnt see that.My bad.
                      Then I do not know, I saw the messages. The first time on the forum. I remember a couple of useful tips. I understand that there are not so many solutions to this problem

Comment

Sears announced more closings yesterday. If you live near one of those that will close (I do) you might be able to score a bargain in one of their drill presses.

Comment

Working...
                        X