What Scews, Nuts and Bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Scews, Nuts and Bolts

As I wrap up my first project I need to get the hardware to mount the screw on baffle, as well as drivers. Iíve thought about using well nuts or similar to mount the baffle.
    What hardware do you folks typically use? Can I go down to the local ACE to get this stuff?

Parts Express's black oxide screws are great for mounting drivers with: https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true

I tend to use the #6 and #8 ones the most.... #6 fits most everything, most tweeters, midranges, and small-medium woofers up to 6-10" or so generally speaking, the #8 ones can be for larger woofs. I use #4 screws (I buy elsewhere since PE doesn't carry them) for some smaller tweeters and fullrangers, ND65's, ND90's, stuff like that.

PE also has socket head screws in shiny black, which are nice, but may add just a bit of diffraction effects to the sound signature of the speaker depending on how the driver is arranged. Some use them because they look really cool, including me from time to time, regardless of the sound issues.

I've only done a few baffles that were removable that I've used hardware for, but most seem to use the screws/bolts with bigger flat heads on them for more even distribution of clamping force. Basically looks like a roofing nail, but thicker with a hex-head attachment. I've used that form factor with a screw barrel and just went into a block of wood underneath.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Like the two middle ones in this pic:

At least that's the look, they come in machine thread and screw types. My local Home Depot and Lowes carry it, a good hardware store probably would too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hex Socket Flat Head Screw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1359004
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thank you so much TomZ, this is a great help.

Comment

I like EZ lok threaded inserts w/flanges with matching screws.

I drill the hole just slighly over-sized than what the package suggests (about 1/32" - 3-64" oversize), dab a little gorilla glue on the thread ridges, then thread it in from back-side until the flange is flush with the surface. The gorilla glue foams/spreads and locks it in place so it doesn't rotate on it's own. They can also be threaded in from the same side of the baffle that the screw goes in, but I prefer from the other side to get better clamping pressure. 1/4"-20 for 12"+ , #10-24 for 8"-12", #8-32 for up to 8" drivers.

Comment

Famous DIY speaker, I always liked this look.

Comment

+1 on the EZ Lok inserts. You can usually find the 8-32 size for $6 for qty 100 on the Zon. My absolute favorite machine screw for speakers is the low-profile allen head. The are #8 and sometimes require increasing the mounting hole size of the driver to 3/16" I do this routinely on 3-1/2 PS95's on my drill press. This is if you want to use the EZ Loks. Last I checked they don't make a 6-32 flanged.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Threaded-He...ed+insert+8-32

https://www.mcmaster.com/#low-profil...22dafbjc5dn47t

For from mounting pin-cushions there is nothing cleaner than a black oxide truss head screw. Flatter and smoother than a pan-head. You can find these in #6 & #8 on the Zon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Super helpful guys!

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                +1 on the EZ Lok inserts. You can usually find the 8-32 size for $6 for qty 100 on the Zon. My absolute favorite machine screw for speakers is the low-profile allen head. The are #8 and sometimes require increasing the mounting hole size of the driver to 3/16" I do this routinely on 3-1/2 PS95's on my drill press. This is if you want to use the EZ Loks. Last I checked they don't make a 6-32 flanged.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Threaded-He...ed+insert+8-32

https://www.mcmaster.com/#low-profil...22dafbjc5dn47t

For from mounting pin-cushions there is nothing cleaner than a black oxide truss head screw. Flatter and smoother than a pan-head. You can find these in #6 & #8 on the Zon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Hi Stephen, Looks like you've gotten more excellent advice from Tom, guitar maestro, djg, and Gordy. I would add that in addition to "the Zon" (Thanks Gordy I'm gonna start using that from now on ) I have had to make the occasional trip to my local Fastenal store for some hardware from time to time. I'm a sucker for the allen head industrial look with the screw head poking out a bit... using a phillips head just reminded me too much of a drywall screw and looked a bit off next to the nice veneers I was trying to use.

Anyway... just one other place you might look if something specialty ends up being needed! Oh, and on those EZ-lock threaded inserts. They are great for sure... just make sure the screws you want to use run cleanly into them. I've gotten a few thick coated ones that needed a little TLC from my threading taps to allow the screws to install without issue. Also, a dab of wood glue when installing these guys into MDF is a must! Keeps them from accidentally backing out when you try to remove a screw. Those big fin-threads on the sides aren't reverse thread, so you risk turning the whole insert instead of just the fastener when you try to back the screw out! Ask me how I know
                  Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                  Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                  The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                  SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

This place has a lot of stuff. I have purchased from them, they have an ebay store too

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...SAAEgLekvD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
                      Hi Stephen, Looks like you've gotten more excellent advice from Tom, guitar maestro, djg, and Gordy. I would add that in addition to "the Zon" (Thanks Gordy I'm gonna start using that from now on ) I have had to make the occasional trip to my local Fastenal store for some hardware from time to time. I'm a sucker for the allen head industrial look with the screw head poking out a bit... using a phillips head just reminded me too much of a drywall screw and looked a bit off next to the nice veneers I was trying to use.

Anyway... just one other place you might look if something specialty ends up being needed! Oh, and on those EZ-lock threaded inserts. They are great for sure... just make sure the screws you want to use run cleanly into them. I've gotten a few thick coated ones that needed a little TLC from my threading taps to allow the screws to install without issue. Also, a dab of wood glue when installing these guys into MDF is a must! Keeps them from accidentally backing out when you try to remove a screw. Those big fin-threads on the sides aren't reverse thread, so you risk turning the whole insert instead of just the fastener when you try to back the screw out! Ask me how I know

Thank you. That you reminded me that I have a local Fasteners and Fastenal stores. Sounds like EZ lock is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X