Dayton RSS265HF project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton RSS265HF project

So, in an effort to reclaim space in our game room area , I have banished all my gear from it and installed monoprice amber series in walls over the holidays (a great deal for anyone looking to get inwalls with ribbon tweets BTW)

That said, I feel the midbass is kind of lacking with inwalls and my tapped horn sub probably isn't the best tool for this job so I'm looking to build a pair of flanking direct radiator subs that can be crossed higher (say 150 Hz or maybe higher if needed )

I have a pair of ref 10 hf subs available for this .
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-460

I was thinking offset tapered TL for this application ( the hoss project uses something similar) or could take a stab at redesigning one (I own a licensed set of MJK mathcad worksheets)

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...l#/topics/7411
    Also possible are the regular ported or sealed alignments

The application is 70% HT so I'm looking to hit a honest 25-30 Hz in room (my room is upstairs, small - medium at around 12 ft x 18 ft opening out into the rest of the house and bass friendly , luckily) . I dont think these are the right woofers to hit infrasonics . That is why i was considering the TL option (response of the sealed alignment but lower bass) but I could be convinced otherwise if it's not worth my effort .

I'm looking to hear thoughts from those that experience with these drivers before I commit to making sawdust.

Thanks and best wishes for 2018

No responses ?, .. I guess I'll just have to build something
    Stay tuned

Comment

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. The reference series subs are more than capable of acting as regular woofers if you want. Cross them as high as you feel comfortable.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Does anyone have a link for the plans to the Hoss . I'd like to use it as a starting point in my investigations

Thanks

Comment

Found it at http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speake...bec/Index.html

Comment

Did you intend to link to plans for the Hoss? The plans shown via your link are for Dan's "Duo" speakers, not the Hoss. Regarding your thoughts about a tapered TL for the RSS265HF-4, what size and shape cabinet did you have in mind? I've been working with another forum member on a tapered TL for his pair of the same woofers and came up with a pretty good result, featuring an f3 right at 25 Hz and crossable at least as high as 150 Hz and likely considerably higher IMO. In fairness to the person I'm working with, I would want to get his permission to share details, but I can tell you that this woofer models really well in a tapered TL.
            Paul

Originally posted by zobsky View Post

Comment

I am also pursuing a TL subwoofer project using the same subwoofers. Paul K. is extremely knowledgeable on TL's and can give a lot of assistance in your design ideas. You might do a search on the subwoofers you are using or on TL's on these threads. There is a lot of information and concerns on the designs that must be addressed. I am attaching a thread that discusses the HOSS project with pictures that may be of value.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...?26065-H-o-s-s

Good Luck,
              Alex

Comment

The link is on that page . PDF attached . I'd like something that sits below the main in walls . I'd be fine with something 2- 3 cuft and up to 30 - 36 " high. See pic for reference (and a peek at my current tapped horn )
                Attached Files

Comment

Check out this link and go down about a half a page to where John K. shows three graphs. The third is a optimum design for this subwoofer.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ered-tl-design

Alex

Comment

"John K"?
                    Paul

Originally posted by alexb View Post
                    Check out this link and go down about a half a page to where John K. shows three graphs. The third is a optimum design for this subwoofer.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ered-tl-design

Alex

Comment

Sorry Paul, a senior moment brain collapse.

​alexb or who ever I am?

Comment

Welcome to the "club".
                        Paul

Originally posted by alexb View Post
                        Sorry Paul, a senior moment brain collapse.

​alexb or who ever I am?

Comment

So , I fired up my spreadsheets and simm'd something close to the original HOSS vs the optimized design (basically So = 2.2 x Sd for the optimal design vs So = 1 x Sd for the HOSS and similarly the terminus are being about twice for the optimal design vs. the HOSS) . Essentially, the optimum design is 2 x the HOSS .

Correct me if I'm wrong but the curves don't look exactly the same as what was linked a few posts above. What am I missing. I played with a bunch of stuffing densities but either something is wrong in my calculations or I really need to use the sections worksheet.

Thoughts ?

Screenshots follow (HOSS followed by the optimum design)

Comment

Which link are you referring to regarding the curves not looking exactly the same, my 3 curves or Dan's curve for the HOSS? In any event I assume the "looks" you're addressing are the differences in the smoothness of the response above 200 Hz or so, and I suspect it's simply the difference in how you're modeling the stuffing density and length. You show to different densities, 0.2 and 0.25 lb/ft3. While I can't see how far down the line you located the stuffing, what has become almost an automatic default in my modeling is to use a density of 0.75 lb/ft3 and stuff the first 2/3 of a tapered line's length (for an ML-TL, I use the same density but stuff only the first half of the line's length).
                            Paul

Originally posted by zobsky View Post
                            So , I fired up my spreadsheets and simm'd something close to the original HOSS vs the optimized design (basically So = 2.2 x Sd for the optimal design vs So = 1 x Sd for the HOSS and similarly the terminus are being about twice for the optimal design vs. the HOSS) . Essentially, the optimum design is 2 x the HOSS .

Correct me if I'm wrong but the curves don't look exactly the same as what was linked a few posts above. What am I missing. I played with a bunch of stuffing densities but either something is wrong in my calculations or I really need to use the sections worksheet.

Thoughts ?

Screenshots follow (HOSS followed by the optimum design)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              Which link are you referring to regarding the curves not looking exactly the same, my 3 curves or Dan's curve for the HOSS? In any event I assume the "looks" you're addressing are the differences in the smoothness of the response above 200 Hz or so, and I suspect it's simply the difference in how you're modeling the stuffing density and length. You show to different densities, 0.2 and 0.25 lb/ft3. While I can't see how far down the line you located the stuffing, what has become almost an automatic default in my modeling is to use a density of 0.75 lb/ft3 and stuff the first 2/3 of a tapered line's length (for an ML-TL, I use the same density but stuff only the first half of the line's length).
                              Paul

This post http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...16#post1349716

I tried various densities from 0.2 to 1 lb/cuft in the basic open ended TL worksheet .

Regardless, if you think the optimized design (see link) is worth building vs the HOSS design, I'll go ahead and build a pair
                              Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X