Fr88ex for Quarks speakers build?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fr88ex for Quarks speakers build?

I really like the simplicity and synergy of the quarks. My thought are to use the fr88ex as a substitute mid. The fr88ex is more optmized for the small box, and can be tuned to a lower frequency. I'm thinking a 1" x 5" port, and maybe altering the tweeter resistor to account for the slight sensitivity difference. I can get a pair of the Fr's for a good price, that would make it worth it to try this. Any thoughts?

DIY sound group still has some Quark kits available. There are also some FE 83's available.

Comment

I know there available. I had built a pair using the fe83, I just was unsatisfied with the bass. I guess I'm looking for a drop in replacement mid that would have more bass, requiring little variation to the crossover. Thanks for the reply

Comment

You can always try it - kinda pricey for a Quark?
        SPL deviation is approx. double, and while it SEEMS to only be down 1 to 1-1/2dB in sensitivity, it's about -6dB down around 1.5kHz.
        I do like the double Xmax though. Models about the same in the 0.04cf box. Doubt you'd really notice an extra 10Hz of extension up there. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          You can always try it - kinda pricey for a Quark?
          SPL deviation is approx. double, and while it SEEMS to only be down 1 to 1-1/2dB in sensitivity, it's about -6dB down around 1.5kHz.
          I do like the double Xmax though. Models about the same in the 0.04cf box. Doubt you'd really notice an extra 10Hz of extension up there. YMMV
          Thank you for your input Chris. I don't think its worth considering at full price, but I've seen a used pair of fr88ex with low mileage for half price. That's what initially got the wheels turning.

Comment

I've got a pair of fr88ex's. I agree they're on the expensive side for this kind of build but I bought them when they retailed for much less. I use them in a single driver design and they sound pretty good. That could be something to try.

Personally, I'd love to see a quark like design that I can copy )

Comment

Cofinrus, do you have the fr88ex in a ported or sealed design? Any offensive sounds that stick out?

Comment

Jake, I have it in a ported box called the 'Martello.' The design is available free on the interwebs. Just do a search ;) It took some time to get the stuffing and padding right, but once you do it they sound quite pleasing. I also looked into a notch filter and copied one off a thread somewhere but I'm not sure I heard much of a difference.

The quarks didn't exist at the time I bought these drivers for like 12 bucks. With the current fr88ex price tag and considering the quarks are designed by Mr. Bagby, I know what I would go for now.

Comment

Cofinrus, I have seen the posts on audio circle of the Martello. Looks like a nice project. I also did some digging and found an old thread on the PE forum. Mini/desktop TM using fr88ex and nd20fa. Seems they had trouble pairing them, but I do think Jeff B's crossover could work with some modification.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by COFinRUS View Post
                      I’d surely build it if someone did the mod. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
                      Unfortunately, I don't have any measuring equipment or software. I'm in the same boat as you. Any modification would have to be done by ear. :(

Comment

Working...
                      X