Looking for Home Theatre suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Home Theatre suggestions

We are moving to the big leagues and buying a new TV. My TV is 10 years+ old and it is not state of the art. It does however have decent sound for movies. Since newer TVs dont have the room to have any real sound I am going to build a center channel, to front satellites and a sub.

I would love suggestions on this so I can start planning the build.

DIY Soundgroup. Lots of kits to choose from.

If you want to put off building a sub, I'd recommend Apollo, an MTM I worked on featuring the Anarchy 7" woofers that possess 1" p-p Xmax. They put out some serious bass for a smaller speaker. I don't miss having no sub.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Wow Pete Schumacher Those look impressive! I'm not surprised those four 7" woofers can hold their own just fine, especially with 1" peak to peak Xmax!

Stephen, I would agree there are lots of well regarded kits available. My first ever speaker builds were a set of Paul Carmody's Swope home theater towers and center channel. These got me hooked on speaker building! Good luck finding something that suits you!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20150824_225541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	1359505
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

I almost forgot... do you have a receiver or other amplifier to power these speakers? If not, you'll need to include that in your considerations.
        Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
        Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
        The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
        SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Those look great. Unfortunately, I really don’t have room for anything but very small speakers. I can accommodate a small sub as well however. I would prefer a larger speaker but I just won’t fit.

I did once have some JmLab Mini Utopia Speakers and they were pretty similar MTM with 6.5 mid base drivers and they were great and would be great home theatre speakers too.

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
            I almost forgot... do you have a receiver or other amplifier to power these speakers? If not, you'll need to include that in your considerations.
            Thank you for this. I do have a receiver,but I have not decided what I will use for sure. I could certainly make them active. My actual needs are not that complex.

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
              Wow Pete Schumacher Those look impressive! I'm not surprised those four 7" woofers can hold their own just fine, especially with 1" peak to peak Xmax!

Stephen, I would agree there are lots of well regarded kits available. My first ever speaker builds were a set of Paul Carmody's Swope home theater towers and center channel. These got me hooked on speaker building! Good luck finding something that suits you!
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1359505[/ATTACH]
              Dang that is pretty impressive.

Comment

definitely diysoundgroup ! regardless of budget , room size ,equipment ,they have something to fit . if you are seriously going big league they have sub boxes for 18 and 24 inch sub woofers , drivers by Stereo Integrity I would assume !? powered subs including driver,box and preprogrammed amp are in the works or may be available and just not posted yet . EDIT , slow typing , never mind the big stuff .
                donc

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                  Those look great. Unfortunately, I really dont have room for anything but very small speakers. I can accommodate a small sub as well however. I would prefer a larger speaker but I just wont fit.

I did once have some JmLab Mini Utopia Speakers and they were pretty similar MTM with 6.5 mid base drivers and they were great and would be great home theatre speakers too.
                  The little brothers to Apollo, the Ares, uses the 6" version of the Anarchy, with 20mm p-p Xmax. I've finished the design but the kit isn't available just yet due to the tweeters not coming in until February. But they too have phenomenal bass output, obviously not like their big brothers, but they'll be very tough to beat.

They're disassembled at the moment, getting ready for a nice paint job. I think I'll build a couple more to act as rear surrounds for the big MTM. This pair goes to my youngest daughter.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Cool. I am interested. What are the cabinet dimensions on those?

Comment

Working...
                    X