Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Man Records Detroit (Jack White) Got some new Dayton equipped Monitors!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Man Records Detroit (Jack White) Got some new Dayton equipped Monitors!

Had fun installing these recently, the room sounds great! These use Dayton Audio RS-HF subs
    and a Tang band mid-bass from Parts Express! +/- 2 dB from 30hz to over 15K in a 16"X14"X12"
    Box!
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

That's a LOT of smoothing. No gate?

Comment

Where are you located? I can arrange a demo so you can hear what is capable with these drivers.
      I have clients mostly in Nashville, North East coast and some in Montana Demo in LA next month.
      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Which mid? Which tweeter? Cool installation there, I like the diffusion panels

Comment

Tang Band W6 (the good one) SB compact ring dome. They come with adult diapers too.
          Guess xmax's age.

Comment

3 rd man is a store, anyone that goes there can hear the speakers. Nothibg has to be arranged. There are two stores in Detroit and one in Nashville.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
              3 rd man is a store, anyone that goes there can hear the speakers. Nothibg has to be arranged. There are two stores in Detroit and one in Nashville.
              Phone died. There is a studio there but anyone can record there. My cousin band that no longer exist, recorded a few songs in Nashville.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

This is the recording studio section (arrangements need to be made) Both locations have stages and "control rooms".
                I think Nashville has a full on studio (multiple tracking rooms, lounges etc) In a different building. I have not been there yet.
                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

But maybe you can just walk in and ask to see the studio, can't hurt to ask. The also have a freaking pressing plant!
                  It's all candy yellow and red and demented candy factory-ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF4A4wdnXkU
                  Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I don't see the Yamaha NS-10, how ever will they get the mix right? :D :D :D

Nice looking setup, though your chart is 10dB/div, only +/- 2dB from 100Hz and up, with nearly 6dB swing from 80-150Hz. You may find that +/- 2dB is not entirely true either if you change the smoothing to 1/12 or 1/24 octave so you can really see the response. That said, it is still quite good for in-room response.
                    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Yeah room modes are always a issue. I do real low frequency measurements outdoors ground plane style.
                      You have to admit it sounds really cool to say +/- 2dB and they do sound that accurate. I built the first pair
                      for Dan Auerbach and they took off! If you see that vid posted above 3rd man used to have $10K Barefoots!
                      A lot of my clients are ditching their ATC, Barefoot Focal etc for mine. People immediately become addicted
                      to the imaging; a result of a well executed passive xover something all these fancy DSP monitors can't seem
                      to pull off.
                      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

1/12 octave smoothing; the little suckout @ 5-6K is a result of my "anti-waveguide" and is corrected in the power response
                        the other anomalous behavior is room modes or me being a terrible person.
                        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I don't see a vid posted? And what exactly is an "anti-waveguide" ? You are speaking of a diffuser I assume?

There's nothing inherently wrong with utilizing DSP, you can provide the same transfer function as any passive filter with some added features as well, and since they are adjustable on the fly, makes customizing the response to the particular installation a breeze, though for a recording studio adding some external EQ as desired probably isn't a problem whether the speaker employs passive or active DSP filters.

I am still waiting for release of Hypex new fusion DSP plates, I am looking to possibly upgrade the AS2.100D plates used in my Bamboozled project. Hypex has promised Q1 2018, so hopefully soon.
                          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            I don't see a vid posted? And what exactly is an "anti-waveguide" ? You are speaking of a diffuser I assume?

There's nothing inherently wrong with utilizing DSP, you can provide the same transfer function as any passive filter with some added features as well, and since they are adjustable on the fly, makes customizing the response to the particular installation a breeze, though for a recording studio adding some external EQ as desired probably isn't a problem whether the speaker employs passive or active DSP filters.

I am still waiting for release of Hypex new fusion DSP plates, I am looking to possibly upgrade the AS2.100D plates used in my Bamboozled project. Hypex has promised Q1 2018, so hopefully soon.
                            I have OEM with Hypex and absolutely love their Ncore line it competes with the best of the best although we are dealing with a messy recall with Hypex now...

I have no problem with DSP and will embrace it when it does what I want it to. My experience with the Mini DSP has shown me it does in fact NOT provide the same transfer
                            function and does not mimic the phase tracking of it's analog cousins. My clients also don't care for what they have heard with DSP in studio monitors. I am constantly shocked
                            on what these talented people can hear.

I rarely use EQ on anything the only system of mine using it has EQ on only the sub and woofer portion of the 4-way with Volt mids and SB TW29B.
                            They are large soffit mounted "mains" at Zack Brown's Southern Ground and the room is a little funky.
                            Guess xmax's age.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF4A4wdnXkU
                              Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Working...
                              X