Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Man Records Detroit (Jack White) Got some new Dayton equipped Monitors!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xmax View Post

I have OEM with Hypex and absolutely love their Ncore line it competes with the best of the best although we are dealing with a messy recall with Hypex now...

I have no problem with DSP and will embrace it when it does what I want it to. My experience with the Mini DSP has shown me it does in fact NOT provide the same transfer
    function and does not mimic the phase tracking of it's analog cousins. My clients also don't care for what they have heard with DSP in studio monitors. I am constantly shocked
    on what these talented people can hear.

I rarely use EQ on anything the only system of mine using it has EQ on only the sub and woofer portion of the 4-way with Volt mids and SB TW29B.
    They are large soffit mounted "mains" at Zack Brown's Southern Ground and the room is a little funky.
    I am also a big fan of Hypex, though the ncore is a bit expensive for me. One day...I have only the basic UcD180 DIY amp with Hypex SMPS and of course a pair of AS2.100D DSP plates.

I'll check that vid a bit later in the day, thanks.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I have OEM with Hypex and absolutely love their Ncore line it competes with the best of the best although we are dealing with a messy recall with Hypex now...
      I use the Ncore NC400 now. Crazy transparent without being bright. See allot of live classical (going tomorrow) and Ncore just sounds more like live than other amp I've heard. I think its gonna change my voicing a bit (used to use Bryston).

Comment

The OEM Ncores (all of them) with the built in SMPS are simply amazing in both sound quality and overall packaging and technology.
        The monitors in this tread use the Nc502 and Nc250's I think maybe they are a touch "warmer" sounding than Bryston. Where the Ucd
        stuff is a little hard sounding (great for power hungry subs though).
        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Hmmm... I wonder what happened to the barefoot's?

Comment

They prefer these. The Genelecs are next to go, I'm working on something that uses the new Peerless 15" sub hopefully,
            it performs as good as I think it will.
            Guess xmax's age.

Comment

They prefer these. The Genelecs are next to go, I'm working on something that uses the new Peerless 15" sub hopefully,
              it performs as good as I think it will.
              I assembled a 3-way using the RSS315 8 years ago. Still blows me away with what it can do. My buddy Ed built the cabinets.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Byzy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1359631

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Oh I agree 100% the Dayton RS subs changed everything! Before that only the Aura aluminum cone subs with the radial neo magnets sounded that good.
                Now I see dayton drivers in all sorts of high-end studio and HiFi designs. If the Peerless can beat the Ultimax I will be amazed!
                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

The OEM Ncores (all of them) with the built in SMPS are simply amazing in both sound quality and overall packaging and technology.
                  The monitors in this tread use the Nc502 and Nc250's I think maybe they are a touch "warmer" sounding than Bryston. Where the Ucd
                  stuff is a little hard sounding (great for power hungry subs though).
                  Which Bryston? 2BLPpro is brighter/more congested (old design but still very musical if not so transparent: still crushes my Yamaha HT receiver on the TV).

Attached a measure of my NC400 into both an 8 ohm resistor and my main speakers. Matches closely with their data sheet. Surprising amount of roll off at the very top, but in the grand scheme of things, easy to design speakers around.
                  Attached Files

Comment

No sh#t? So yeah I could see how they would sound warmer even though my ears are probably
                    down more than 2/3rd of a dB at 10K LOL. Really I think the "warmth" is more from the super
                    low distortion and just the brilliant design (almost witchcraft).

​ You are gonna run into the "book-smart" types here (I left the PHD up to my brother and dropped out of school).
                    A lot them are fine with crossing over a 960 Fs tweeter at 1700hz because
                    it measures ok, it might not sound like music but they don't seem to give a squirt.

My wife, employees and I don't eat if the designs I do can't let my clients make the records
                    all these guys use to listen to their speakers.

Where are you located I could a arrange a listen to some of my stuff if what I am saying makes
                    sense to you. Just because I love when someone who actually appreciates music listens to some
                    of my work I put so much heart and time into my designs some people can really appreciate them.
                    Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Working...
                    X