Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best speakers you every heard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best speakers you every heard?

Just for fun. This can be DIY or even commercial. Also. feel free to add the amplification. Some times there are just matches made in heaven.

EDIT: Sorry for the heading typo. Every should be ever.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM.

This pair here have to be right near the top of my list. They feature the Audio Technology SDKM mids, an Acoustic Elegance TD15H woofer, and the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. Just melt-in-your-chair sound.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
      Just for fun. This can be DIY or even commercial. Also. feel free to add the amplification. Some times there are just matches made in heaven.
      ATC Specially built a 5.2 system SCM-150's/ SCM0.1 for a Sony SACD Demo System (I owned these), those are tied with KV2 Audio VHD series system, the KV2 system for PA is very impressive. Thinking about this system still is a head shaker.

​I Built speakers, used Dynaudio Esotar (2012) and Skaaning 9's with 5" Skaaning mids. plus active crossover (XTA) and custom amplifiers . Cones can never beat the dome mid for detail so #1.2 on Skaaning based systems. Custom Subwoofers too. 18Sound (I didn't build the subs) Dynaudio Evidence is also competitive with these systems,

​I can no longer recollect all the electrostatic systems like Apogee Grands, Martin Logan Statement, Custom Magneplanar MG20 systems, Sound Lab etc...I think all of those would be competitive 2 channel systems to revisit. German Physiks and Manger would also be important to revisit, especially the active Manger systems. HAve a good one!
      “Never ask people about your work.”
      ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

My First transcendent experience was with a really cheap pair of floor-standing speakers (can't remember what they were) on an even cheaper Sherwood Home Cinema amp (that I do remember) of all things. That's when i first experienced a sound-stage coming from behind the speakers. The only other real transcendent moment was with a pair of Totem Hawks, but that was around 20 years ago.

Having been to shows, demo's etc, the higher the price tag and the bigger the system, it simply took me away from that original experience. One could argue that its the fault the show/demo set up.... people not being able to voice their set up, but the truth still remains, I'm always searching for that first experience, like recapturing an experience with a first love and it just hasn't happened with bigger, and dare I say, more complex systems.

My Current Mark Audio's that i have at the moment are pretty close to my first experience, so a vote for them!

Comment

Pete, Those look incredible. They just have to sound as good as they look. Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
            Pete, Those look incredible. They just have to sound as good as they look. Thanks for the pic.
            Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio absolutely loves them. He's running them with a pair of 35W SET monoblocks. Steve's used TAD, Focal, KEF, among others, and he likes these better than anything he's ever had. Makes me smile!

Steve Clay (Audiogon) has expressed his interest in acquiring a set for himself after we outfitted his new 11.2 home theater, which includes a pair of 21" woofers in 17cf transmission lines.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete, Please forgive me, but are those speakers your creation? If so, wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                Pete, Please forgive me, but are those speakers your creation? If so, wow!
                Yeah, Ryan Scott, me and Ed Rosenquist who built the cabinets.

Comment

Very impressive. I'm really blown away. I love everything about them, including the funky copper orange. They look to be about 54" tall?

Comment

Are the Skaaning's 5" or 7" mids?

Comment

Yeah, Ryan Scott, me and Ed Rosenquist who built the cabinets.

Who got them in and out of the basement? I thought they were super heavy?
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

That would be me, Ryan, and a hand truck. Nerve wracking experience I hope to never have to repeat. 320 pounds each!!!!

And Waboo, your guess at 54" is spot on. That would be the height to the peak on the cabinet. The Audio Tech mids are the 15H SDKM. We've also used the 18H SDKM as well.

Comment

This pair here have to be right near the top of my list. They feature the Audio Technology SDKM mids, an Acoustic Elegance TD15H woofer, and the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. Just melt-in-your-chair sound.

My gosh those look like they are from outer space. Incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post

ATC Specially built a 5.2 system SCM-150's/ SCM0.1 for a Sony SACD Demo System (I owned these), those are tied with KV2 Audio VHD series system, the KV2 system for PA is very impressive. Thinking about this system still is a head shaker.

​I Built speakers, used Dynaudio Esotar (2012) and Skaaning 9's with 5" Skaaning mids. plus active crossover (XTA) and custom amplifiers . Cones can never beat the dome mid for detail so #1.2 on Skaaning based systems. Custom Subwoofers too. 18Sound (I didn't build the subs) Dynaudio Evidence is also competitive with these systems,

​I can no longer recollect all the electrostatic systems like Apogee Grands, Martin Logan Statement, Custom Magneplanar MG20 systems, Sound Lab etc...I think all of those would be competitive 2 channel systems to revisit. German Physiks and Manger would also be important to revisit, especially the active Manger systems. HAve a good one!
                            I have heard some of the systems too. Dynaudio Evidence, ML Statements, MG20(Stock) etc. Brings back great memories. The top level JMLab Utopia Circa 2004 or so was incredible too.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

That would not be a job that I would want to take part in. Heart rate at 180 and full on butt pucker the whole time. No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X