Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best speakers you every heard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the best commercial offering I've heard would be the Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:
    http://v2.stereotimes.com/utils/tiny...aded/axfm1.jpg
    https://www.stereophile.com/images/s...olymer-600.jpg

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Waveform Mach 17s by John Otvos. I heard those back in the 1990s and loved the effortless sound and performance. They looked strange with the egg shaped midrange/tweeter module are still the best sounding speakers I've heard. They steered me towards active crossovers in most of my designs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01waveform17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1359679

Comment

I heard a pair of electrostatics late 77, early 78, which means they were not Martin Logans. I guess they could have been planars like Magnepans, but I'm pretty sure they were electrostatics. I only remember hearing them and asking where the grand piano was.
        It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
          This pair here have to be right near the top of my list. They feature the Audio Technology SDKM mids, an Acoustic Elegance TD15H woofer, and the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. Just melt-in-your-chair sound.

Pete, have you guys been selling those out of a white van at Walmart parking lots. Did that model ever get demoed at an audio show like Axapona?

Comment

Nice idea for a thread!

I don't go to hi fi shows and time colours the memory, but many years ago I was very impressed with a pair of high end Tannoys in a friend's house: huge cabinets and tweeter integral with the woofer. I thought 'one day I'll get a pair of those'. I can't recall the model number. My friend also had a pair of KEF Concertos with the horse racing track shaped woofers, but the Tannoys were more natural sounding to me, at least at the time.

However, my friend also had a really high end Crown pre/power amplifier combination, a Nakamichi cassette deck and a really good turntable/cartridge, so was I listening to "the speakers" or the system as a whole? I'm sure the Tannoys wouldn't have sounded as good with an average amplifier and turntable.

However, our current main living room speakers - Curt Campbell's Slapshots MTMs- blow away anything (home or store) I've heard recently.

Geoff

Comment

I spent some time with this wilson system up in the Rockies, they were good but not as good as the first time I heard Wilson 20 years ago
              (because they blew my [email protected] mind back then!
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                I think the best commercial offering I've heard would be the Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:

Later,
                Wolf
                These are great. I was very impressed.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Later,
                  Wolf
                  they are the ones that i blame for building my own .
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

Paul k cantilena and Revel Ultimas.

Comment

This pair here have to be right near the top of my list. They feature the Audio Technology SDKM mids, an Acoustic Elegance TD15H woofer, and the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. Just melt-in-your-chair sound.

I would cary these out of a basement just for the sound of 70-20s I have not heard the other 2 drivers but I would love to!
                      Guess xmax's age.

Comment

320 pounds each!!!!
                        Oh my gosh, I figured they were heavy but had no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                          Pete, have you guys been selling those out of a white van at Walmart parking lots. Did that model ever get demoed at an audio show like Axapona?
                          First appearance was at the Newport Beach Audio Show a few years ago. Then again at RMAF a year later, and once again at RMAF a couple years ago. The one in the picture was at the LA Audio Show in 2017 where Steve took delivery. It's the first one that used the Audio Technology mids. We've got one ready for paint that hosts a single Audio Tech 7" mid and the big 140-15D RAAL, and the Audio Tech 15" Flex Unit.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

Hope to see you back in CA again Pete.
                            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                            Sonata Soundbar Project
                            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

Oh my gosh, I figured they were heavy but had no idea!
                              I have some old monitors I built along time ago with 140-15s the client wants a tune up.
                              His cats stole the foam pads and I want to re-tension them as much as I love Alex and
                              his Raal stuff, I'm super stoked for this Viawave and the ribbon termination. Looking at
                              the GR-145s now....
                              Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post

I have some old monitors I built along time ago with 140-15s the client wants a tune up.
                                His cats stole the foam pads and I want to re-tension them as much as I love Alex and
                                his Raal stuff, I'm super stoked for this Viawave and the ribbon termination. Looking at
                                the GR-145s now....
                                I've got the original ViaWave on hand and plan on a build in the near future. It's gonna be tough to better the RAAL. The Beyma AMT and the T-labs Beryllium come real, real close.
                                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                                Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

Working...
                                X