Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best speakers you every heard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I think the best commercial offering I've heard would be the Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:
    http://v2.stereotimes.com/utils/tiny...aded/axfm1.jpg
    https://www.stereophile.com/images/s...olymer-600.jpg

Later,
    Wolf
    Metal Speakers!

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
      I spent some time with this wilson system up in the Rockies, they were good but not as good as the first time I heard Wilson 20 years ago
      (because they blew my [email protected] mind back then!
      There are a couple of bucks in that system

Comment

I think the best commercial offering I've heard would be the Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:
        http://v2.stereotimes.com/utils/tiny...aded/axfm1.jpg
        https://www.stereophile.com/images/s...olymer-600.jpg

Later,
        Wolf
        What made this speakers great? What quality did they possess to get your vote?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

What made this speakers great? What quality did they possess to get your vote?
          They do nothing wrong and everything thing right. Just a great sounding speaker. Soundstage and imaging really great. Tight tactile bass. Very impressive speaker.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

They do nothing wrong and everything thing right. Just a great sounding speaker. Soundstage and imaging really great. Tight tactile bass. Very impressive speaker.
            ​Craig do you know what drivers they use or do they manuf. their own?

Comment

Pete, Vapor definitely has its own design style on the cabs. I think I could identify Vapor at a show without seeing a logo. How much of the cab shape/design play
              ​into the overall Vapor sound vs. just a great looking cabinet that stands out in a field of boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

They build them, so they are unobtainium.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
                  I heard a pair of electrostatics late 77, early 78, which means they were not Martin Logans. I guess they could have been planars like Magnepans, but I'm pretty sure they were electrostatics. I only remember hearing them and asking where the grand piano was.

What did they look like?

Comment

These are the best I've heard...Legacy Aeris. Solid state on the lows, all tube from mid-bass on up. Mucho cone area....

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

They build them, so they are unobtainium.
                      WOW! if these guys would make the MKS-X speaker active, they have exactly the same philosophy as I do for speaker design. But!!! why I diy, even at dealer cost I can build my 7 floor channels for the same price as one pair. And my entire Surround system for the retail price of the speakers. A little DIY love.

Why I posted: They look just like Accuton and Skaaning for the top 3 drivers, I am sure they may have them built to their parameters but their description on the website is generally what Accuton and Skaaning call their drivers. Soundstage review confirmed my original hunch.

For 10 years I have hoped to build a system like these... so I can imagine these are very good, but I wanted to have a Shootout between custom Seas magnesium and Skaaning mid woofers.to pair with the Cell (now) or Diamond drivers.

So I add Polymer Research to my shortlist of manufacturers I would buy. Where are my lottery tickets?
                      “Never ask people about your work.”
                      ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

These are some seriously unreal systems.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post

What did they look like?
                          They were tall, so more like MLs than Quads. I heard them in a high-end audio shop in Berkeley, or maybe SF while I was visiting friends in the bay area. Looking online, they were a lot like Sound-Lab's offerings, but again, those weren't available until 78, and I saw these between semesters 77-78.
                          It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Pete, Vapor definitely has its own design style on the cabs. I think I could identify Vapor at a show without seeing a logo. How much of the cab shape/design play
                            ​into the overall Vapor sound vs. just a great looking cabinet that stands out in a field of boxes?
                            While people listen with their ears, they buy with their eyes. Never hurts to make a nice looking, unique cabinet. But shape does affect diffraction which does have an impact on imaging and staging. A very dead cabinet is also a plus. You only want the drivers to do the talking. The less the cabinet contributes via resonances and sound transmission through the walls also helps them disappear with only the performers floating in the air around the room.
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'm not Craig, but they use the Accuton diamond mid and tweeter, the Audio Tech 5" mid, and a pair of Audio Tech 7" woofers. The newer version uses Illuminator woofers.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'm not Craig, but they use the Accuton diamond mid and tweeter, the Audio Tech 5" mid, and a pair of Audio Tech 7" woofers. The newer version uses Illuminator woofers.

Later,
                                Wolf

Correct, these are the companies that are building the drivers for Polymer, but they are specifically made for Polymer. You can go buy the Accutons or Scans and build these speakers.
                                craigk

Comment

Working...
                                X