Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best speakers you every heard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

For Bookshelf <6" Woofer w/subwoofer:

Over the weekend I heard a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuums with the CSS SDX10 subs. I don't know if it was the person's system (e.g. amp, preamp, source, wires, etc.) or the speakers, but really was floored with how amazing the sound was. Really really really impressed.

Comment

The best ive heard in my opinion have been nebbiolos (exceptional clarity, they nailed a pipe organ test song and imaged fantastically. Seriously impressed by them design and created by CJD https://www.divine-audio.com/nebbiolo/ and Matt Sobies big ole 3 way (head room for days, clean and tactile experience). Craig K had a killer small tower using all tang band drivers that was top notch without breaking the bank as well.

I stuck with diy builds for the spirit of the forum. Been to axpona every year and to me there is some really nice equipment and builds there but 35k-250k per pair of speakers is crazyness. Seems like with 2-5k you could diy a ridiculously good pair of speakers.
        My Build Thread's
        Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Well said, Mike! While commercial stuff can be great, good, or bad, most DIY stuff has been extremely well vetted and it's the spirit of the forum.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

You know, the digital distribution of music has been a game-changer for me. I can find so much more good material in a fraction of the time (and expense), compared to just a decade or two ago.

When listening NOW to stuff to which I listened in my youth (I'm 52), I find that many of the performances have stood the test of time, but I can't say the same for many of the recordings.

So while I'm thrilled with my current iteration of my FAST system (two GRS 10" woofers, one under each Faital 3" satellite, fronted by an inexpensive electronic crossover and two SMSL class-D amps), I think it is difficult to make comparisons with systems of years past just because the source material can be (isn't always, but can be) that much better.

So it is difficult making comparisons. Did previous speakers sound as congested at higher SPL as I remember, or was it because the source material just wasn't as awesome as some of my favorite test tracks these days?

Really tough to say.

I will tell you, though, that a single 3" driver that is crossed at 400-Hz is barely moving even at pretty high SPL, and sounds pretty amazing, when the material you're playing (and I'm not talking girl with a guitar type of stuff, I'm talking Symphonies and big bands) is well-recorded.

My guess is my current system would outperform previous systems just because of this, especially the prototypical 2-way systems where a 6-1/2" woofer is trying to cover 40 or 50 to 2500-Hz, at higher SPL. That is, I think a 3" driver covers 400-Hz and up better than a 6-1/2" driver handles 40 - 2.5k, when listening at higher SPL.

But I don't know for sure.

Maybe some day I'll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post

I thought you started comparing 850 to the 70-10d and stopped short from posting results.
              GRT-145 have been tested and compared to your favorite best ribbon by a couple of high end manufacturers and professional studio guys. I am not at liberty to reveal the results but "chuckle" .
              There's also a review in Klang.
              Wasn't me who did any comparisons. But just looking at and holding the tweeters they are very impressive. Build quality is excellent!

I'm looking forward to actually hearing what they do. That's the key metric.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat, I love the 70-20 used it several times, I love the 140-15, used it once.
                I'm staring at some Viawave's but have not had time to listen, they measure very nicely and are
                super efficient.
                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I really want to build a system that is nearer full range (down to 40 even would be great) and is dynamic and fast. I enjoy what I have but I do not have anything that works well for the harder to play music. My old JmLab MTM speakers did it very well. I miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalsi View Post
                    For Bookshelf <6" Woofer w/subwoofer:

Over the weekend I heard a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuums with the CSS SDX10 subs. I don't know if it was the person's system (e.g. amp, preamp, source, wires, etc.) or the speakers, but really was floored with how amazing the sound was. Really really really impressed.

Comment

The 140-15D is best that RAAL offers. It's the designer's (Aleks) favorite among all the models he makes. And the mid has to be special ordered from Per Skanning. The 18H SDKM isn't even listed on the site.
                      They are the finest tweeters I have ever heard. Absolutely incredible.

I have liked the Satori Berylliums as well, but the RAAL 140-15d is a very special driver.

Comment

..and at $575, it's a steal! :D How does it compare to the Lazy Ribbon?

Comment

I have heard an ATC speaker and a brand new Magico speaker at the store and neither's sound "felt" great. KEF LS50, Focal Be ($7k) and MikeZ's Illuminator 2-way had a much better sound to me that "felt" like music. My Adelphos can do pretty well on some music also.

Comment

My faves are the Revel Salon2s and JBL S9900s. The Revels are revealing but very easy to listen to; the JBLs do a better job reproducing the "you are there!' experience, and they are still remarkably easy to listen to. Both throw a large-as-life image too, which is something I appreciate.
                            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                              My faves are the Revel Salon2s and JBL S9900s..
                              When I was voicing my personal main system crossovers, I used the salon 2s as an indirect (listened to in-store) reference. It has the best crossover/driver integration I've ever heard. It was interesting that the salesperson commented that they "didn't sound good" and customers weren't wowed. I think Revel is a really brave company making speakers that are accurate over speakers that catch listeners attention in a demo

Comment

Originally posted by DDF View Post

When I was voicing my personal main system crossovers, I used the salon 2s as an indirect (listened to in-store) reference. It has the best crossover/driver integration I've ever heard. It was interesting that the salesperson commented that they "didn't sound good" and customers weren't wowed. I think Revel is a really brave company making speakers that are accurate over speakers that catch listeners attention in a demo
                                Yeah, the voicing of the Salon2s has been my Holy Grail, too. No idea how someone thought they sounded bad, unless the setup was awful.
                                Francis

Comment

Working...
                                X