Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power Subwoofer

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1652

Anyone, ....any comments? Impressed? I saw this by total accident today. 7.4" voice coil, Morel and JL TW13 eat your heart out, but not quite up their with the 9.85 voice coil from prescient audio TD12.... which no one bought! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqFN_pCmHI

Is anyone excited about this beast from Peerless?

Originally posted by matt scarlett View Post
    Is anyone excited about this beast from Peerless?
    I think some are excited.
    http://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/STW-Brochure-Final.pdf http://www.tymphany.com/peerless/transducer-search-results/transducer-detail/?id=1134

Comment

I will have some the day after they are available! I'm super stoked and will report
      my findings. Oh wait I don't know how to measure speakers. I guess I will just
      let you know if they are worth the extra money over the Ultimax!
      Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I've been trying hard not to drool over the new STW subs. They look like the Ultimax and Morel Ultimate had a baby and it was glorious! I haven't simmed any of them yet, but that 15 is supposed to 24 hz in less than 3 cubes... Oh, and then there's the 3500 watt power handling! If I weren't so lazy I'd try and figure out what Xmech is; the paltry 10.4mm of listed Xmax is the only fly in the ointment for me. But, then again, a sim could tell a much more enlightening story.

Comment

Derrrrrrrrr..... Right out of the box, WinISD says 4.2 ft^3 gives a ridiculously flat curve down to 20 hz with an F3 of 18 hz... In that box, cone excursion is a little unhappy at 16mm when you apply a gently 1,000 watts to the driver (and increases like mad once the cone unloads below 20 hz. SPL is a meager... 115 DB... Hmmm, perhaps we shall see what an LLT box will do. Now, which kidney shall I sell first?

Comment

Originally posted by Blenton View Post
            I've been trying hard not to drool over the new STW subs. They look like the Ultimax and Morel Ultimate had a baby and it was glorious! I haven't simmed any of them yet, but that 15 is supposed to 24 hz in less than 3 cubes... Oh, and then there's the 3500 watt power handling! If I weren't so lazy I'd try and figure out what Xmech is; the paltry 10.4mm of listed Xmax is the only fly in the ointment for me. But, then again, a sim could tell a much more enlightening story.
            Xmech is 90mm, peak to peak.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
              Oh wait I don't know how to measure speakers.
              You don't. But here's a good article on how to perform gated measurements. Make sure you apply these instructions before you post any more graphs.

http://audio.claub.net/tutorials/FR%...ing%20ARTA.pdf
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

You missed that part of me speaking with the designer of the software...
                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Really. I hope he implements your ideas and suggestions in his next release.
                  Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                  ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                  LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                  Sonata Soundbar Project
                  The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

The no regard for anything setting? I stick to his guidelines for mic and surrounding surface distances.
                    Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                      I guess I will just
                      let you know if they are worth the extra money over the Ultimax!
                      Seems to be far removed from the Ultimax. Bar the low Xmax, 7.4" voice coil vs Ultimax 2.5", 57 lbs vs Ultimax 35.3, 3,500 watts vs Ultimax 800. Unless for some reasons they're aiming for high-end brands like Wilson Audio to use them, it seems strange departure from the norm.

Looks more like it's in Stereo Integrity or Digital Designs arena rather than Dayton Audio arena! Seems to be a strange move from such a mild mannered brand like Peerless to release a beast of a sub.

Comment

Well, if you look at the bottom of the product page, it lists this sub as a car subwoofer. Maybe that's the intended audience?
                        I'll let you all know what it can do when I win the one they're giving away! 😀
                        TomZ
                        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                          Well, if you look at the bottom of the product page, it lists this sub as a car subwoofer. Maybe that's the intended audience?
                          Thanks for that, didn't notice it
                          That's a shame because there are a whole lot of car audio enthusiasts that focus on a singular T/S parameters .... QTS or Xmax seems to be parameters that gets shouted about.the most (goodness knows why). Most will take a look at the 10.4 mm Xmax and 'swipe left'!

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                          I'll let you all know what it can do when I win the one they're giving away! 😀
                          TomZ
                          Good luck

Comment

Yeah- I signed up too!
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Pushed back until March! Damn I need them now!
                              Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Working...
                              X