'High end' 3 way on a budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'High end' 3 way on a budget

Noticed my thai distributor are clearing out their Dayton stock. Not much selection but will grab a few drivers to build a kick *** budget 3 way. So from the drivers they have(also available from parts express) I came up with this. HIVI RT1.3WE or Dayton DC28f / Dayton RS125p-8 / Dayton DC200-8. Do you think this selection wd work ok?

the 125p will play up to the rt1.3we . i would use 2 though in mtm config . . and 2 woofers , either mtmww or wmtmw .
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Comment

Each 8" woofer wants about 0.75-1.0cf "closed", or 1.5-2.0cf vented (recommended).
      You CAN build a "non-kick***" (but decent) 8" 2-way if you use the DC28 tweeter. (For a 3-way, you'd have to add volume for a separate mid (internal) box.)

Comment

Thanks Filmslayer, thanks Chris. I kind of want to stick to an easy 6-8 ohm load and keep the driver count and x/o parts cheap. The DC200-8 seems to dig pretty deep in a ported box. They also stock the RS180-4 but it pushes the budget up a bit, if I were to go 2 per side Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

i seriesed 4ohm's for an easy amp load .
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

I would try and find a pre-existing design instead of coming up with something brand new.
            -Dan
            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
              I would try and find a pre-existing design instead of coming up with something brand new.

why ?
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                snooze

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                  Noticed my thai distributor are clearing out their Dayton stock. Not much selection but will grab a few drivers to build a kick *** budget 3 way. So from the drivers they have(also available from parts express) I came up with this. HIVI RT1.3WE or Dayton DC28f / Dayton RS125p-8 / Dayton DC200-8. Do you think this selection wd work ok?

I like your mid and tweeter choices. One of my biggest lessons learned from my year on the speaker building design team was the performance of the SD270-88 DVC subwoofer ($40 from PE). That makes a great 3-way woofer. The SD215 ($30 from PE) is also a good performer if a narrower cabinet is desired. Those have significantly more excursion capability than their Dayton classic brethren, but are still smooth enough up high to use as traditional woofers. The flange also looks better without the big cardboard ring.
                  Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Argon | Helium | Lithium | LithMTM | Hafnium
                  Mercury | Matrix | Shrubbery

Comment

I like HIVI RT1.3WE, one RS125p-8 and two Dayton DC200-8. That would make it kick a.. in a mini tower or monkey coffin. That's real close to my budget 3-way concept other than I want to horn load everything
                    Last edited by jhollander; 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by gowa
                      Vianadi by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger. Scan-speak Discovery woofer, Morel midrange and Fountek ribbon.
                      He's trying to build something from the clearance stock on hand.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I have no expertise in this matter, but the RS paper series seem to be very high quality drivers - I have the RS180Ps and love them - whereas the DC28 is a good quality, but not stunning tweeter. This might mean that there's a difference between the drivers in terms of the sound, perhaps?

Haven't heard the Hi Vi so I don't know how it would compare to the DC28.

Geoff

Comment

RT1.3 is one of my favorites, and John Hollander mated it to the RS180P.
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            RT1.3 is one of my favorites, and John Hollander mated it to the RS180P. Wolf
                            I remember that design! other midbass driver choices, RS180p-4, RS180-4, DC250-8, DS175-8, 'budget' tweeter choices, scan H2606 waveguide, H2604 limited edition and R2604 RR. Also the 22mm wavecors. These are what I can get here within the budget. A side firing 3 way with DC250 and RS180p is an option perhaps

Comment

Working...
                            X