Grand Rapids - Blind Listening Competition - May 19 - Driver Selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Rapids - Blind Listening Competition - May 19 - Driver Selection

I wanted to start a new thread to discuss the driver that we will use for the competition. Again, the budget for this will be $250. Every build has to use the chosen driver (configuration is up to you) but total build price is calculated from all drivers and crossover components. I'll have to come up with some rules about the use of waveguides as well.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to keep the driver price in the $30 range so that people have the opportunity to use them in a variety of ways. My initial thoughts were a few of the new Peerless tweeters (DA25BG, DX25BG, or DX20BF) and the newish Dayton DSA series woofers in the 5" or 6" model. I'm open to suggestions/discussions and once I have a few, I'll start a poll with them for voting. My goal is to have the driver picked by the end of the month so we'll need to start working on this quickly.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

I like the idea of the Peerless tweeters as I have never used them in a build. DSA series are a good choice as well. You can get in to the Dayton Reference series for just under $40 but they have been used quite a bit in the past. Another few other options,

A new Peerless 5" https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1636

TB W5 https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...oofer--264-850
    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Im in favor dx25 for sure! Or LD22.
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Should we be sticking to a driver that PE sells?

Comment

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
          Should we be sticking to a driver that PE sells?
          Why? It is not a PE event. Considering all things I think we should use the small Eclipse woofer.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

Why? It is not a PE event. Considering all things I think we should use the small Eclipse woofer.
            Just wanted to clarify before posting more driver options.

Comment

Meniscus is Grand Rapids based, I second the vote for the 5" Eclipse. I have fond memories of the Eclipse 12".
              I used 2 with a SS1845 and Seas tweeter for a home theater system that ROCKED!.

I will probably order all the other parts from PE so it's win win.
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I think the W5 has been done enough IMO. Great driver, but using something newer to the market I think is a better idea. And no reason the driver HAS to be sourced at PE. Not saying the LD22 is the way to go, but no reason not to consider it either. I am a fan of the Eclipse woofers so I am for the 5.25" as well.

Or maybe these guys (if price is appropriate, maybe a group buy?)http://rivalacoustics.com/woofers.htm
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'd be interested in something new in a mid-woofer as long as it's available. Pricing could be an issue unless we want a bunch of 2-ways.

Which makes me think a tweeter would allow the most freedom of design.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

To add on, wrt the poll, 1-safe tweeter, 2- unproven/ new tweeter, 3- safe (boring) mid-woofer, 4- new mid-woofer, 5-mid-tweeter (couldn't resist).
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I think if we were to do something at group buy prices we would need to discuss the expense cap. I'm sure we could figure out a group buy with the Eclipse woofer or LD22, but then at regular price, the builds wouldn't be under the $250 mark. I'm ok with that if everyone else is, but just something to be aware of.
                      -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                        To add on, wrt the poll, 1-safe tweeter, 2- unproven/ new tweeter, 3- safe (boring) mid-woofer, 4- new mid-woofer, 5-mid-tweeter (couldn't resist).

John, what do the numbers correlate to? Are you saying we should list 5 options for those categories?
                        -Kerry

Comment

Kerry, I was just spit balling ideas. If you have a total of 5 options in your poll maybe spread out the options vs. having a poll with just 5 mid woofers. Not that you asked, but it would be nice to have the rules before we vote.
                          John H

Comment

This Dynavox might be a bit too much?
                            Dynavox LW5004HR-N 5-1/4" Honeycomb Cone Woofer

Comment

Silver Flutes are pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X