No announcement yet.

WinISD Filters

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinISD Filters

So, I've been fiddling some filters in WinISD and I'm curious to know...

When applying some parametric EQ to a driver, I assume that the Amplifier Apparent Load would be more realistic judge of how much power is hitting the driver than just entering in System Input Power under the Signal tab - does that sound correct? For instance, say I have a 100 watt amplifier but I'm applying 3 db of boost to the driver at some point. If I input 100 watts to the System Input Power, the Amplifier Aparent Load is showing 300 watts centered at the boost frequency. This, to me, means that the amplifier would be asked to provide 300 watts of power at that point so, in reality, the amp would be clipping hard and/or distorting heavily. In order to properly model such an amp/driver combo, I would need to limit the Input Power to 33 watts so as not to surpass the 100 watt total output from the amplifier.

Am I understanding how to use this tool properly? I've done sims like this before, but usually with plenty of reserve power from the amplifier (and I don't turn it up THAT loud too often; typically I turn it down at the first sign of distress from the drivers..) so it wasn't an issue so much.

And, yes, the conversion factor of 3:1 instead of 2:1 is what I'm actually seeing in WinISD with 3db of boost vs what I would expect to see.

Yes, you are interpreting your observations correctly. The same thing would happen in real life. Your playing at your amp's maximum. Then you boost a frequency using a graphic equalizer at the line level. The the resulting signal into the power amp, with it's boosted frequency, will cause it to exceed the amp's capabilities.