Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY micro "tower" computer speakers a.k.a mini NHT 3.3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY micro "tower" computer speakers a.k.a mini NHT 3.3?

I know this is an ambitious project for a first-time build but hey ...

I'm in the process of finishing a full suite of custom office furniture to house a new gaming/VR development PC with an ultrawide curved monitor. I'm wanting decent DIY speakers to fit the limited available space
    either side of this wide monitor, but also match its curvature, styling and height (I won't be changing the monitor height or tilt after installation).

So looking around, what would be ideal is something like a minified version of the NHT 3.3 floor standing tower speakers. No more than 4" wide, 18-20" high and 10-11" deep, with an angled baffle. I was thinking MTM 3.5" midrange drivers with either low-profile side-firing 6" woofers or passive radiators.

As much as I love other small DIY speaker designs like the Overnight Sensations and Helium etc they're either still too big, dominating a computer desk, or won't fit aesthetically with the furniture and computer hardware I've chosen.

To be honest I'm surprised that computer speaker manufacturers don't sell anything like this.

Does anyone know of other DIY plans along these lines or a reason NOT to go down this track (other than my self-confessed inexperience)?

You only end up w/a bit less than 1/4 cu.ft. int. vol. How low do these need to go?
    If they were 19"h, how high up would a tweeter need to be to be at seated ear height?

Comment

My thought would be do a separate sub then take any of the small 2-way designs and narrow them up. There were a bunch of 3 liter designs from inDIYana last year that would work. There's also a small speaker thread here that I can't find (?)
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

For nearfield listening, would something like the PicoNeo work? The bass is pretty impressive for the size, maybe pass on the sub.
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

+1 on the Pico Neo, it is surprisingly good overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            You only end up w/a bit less than 1/4 cu.ft. int. vol. How low do these need to go?
            If they were 19"h, how high up would a tweeter need to be to be at seated ear height?
            Low? I don't know. As low as I can get given the dimensional and geometric constraints :-) These speakers and the ultrawide monitor will be sitting on a hutch / monitor stand and as the monitor height can be adjusted, I've calculated correct ergonomic height for it and sized the speaker cabinets to match monitor height ~ 19" above hutch of ~ 6", so MTM would be towards top of cabinet and tweeter at my ear height.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
              My thought would be do a separate sub then take any of the small 2-way designs and narrow them up. There were a bunch of 3 liter designs from inDIYana last year that would work. There's also a small speaker thread here that I can't find (?)
              Sadly I don't have room for a sub. But thanks for the heads up about the nano designs from inDIYana 2017 - I think the MTM Bantams could be adapted to my needs - that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X