No announcement yet.

Help designing my first sub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a weird arrangement, having the port come out of the top of the box Why not have it come out below the driver?
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

On THIS build, the volume consumed by the port will be so much more than the amp or driver, if you get that even close to correct, you'll be fine. Also (as you say) on a large box, the volume can tolerate much more error than on a small box (under, say, 1-2 cu.ft.) w/out it affecting Fb or F3 all that much. I wouldn't worry about trying to "tune" the port, WinISD will get you plenty close enough (probably closer than the error from a variation in T/S parms - unless you've done your own measurements).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
        That's a weird arrangement, having the port come out of the top of the box Why not have it come out below the driver?

My first design was like that but I guess originally I only considered a straight port so it meant the box was quite deep. I figured this would make placing the sub in the lounge room more difficult and went towards this tall square design. I suppose I could still put the port at the front with an upwards bend, could be better actually.

Thanks Chris that makes sense if you think about it as a percentage of the total volume.

Btw I'm not sure if I mentioned that this will be my first ever sub, I feel like I'm building a bit of a monster but I think it will be worth it. I've always hesitated before because my towers have such good response and an everyday sub just didn't seem worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
        X