Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Next ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ?

so in redoing the old 70's Pioneer cabinets i got a couple NeoCD1.0's and i feel that they deserve to be in a better speaker . i still have theses box's and a couple of blank baffles from the 160 3way build .

so i'm thinking RS180P-8 / NeoCD1.0 . a quick sim using Dayton's files and the measured neo from the Pioneer build does not look to bad .

what say you ?
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Take a look for the Peerless 830874 6.5" HDS woofer. It crosses anywhere below 4k.

Comment

interesting . i have the 180P's in hand . my thought on this is it will be a good head - to head between two decent tweets , a ribbon and a dome of similar cost .
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

F3 is shown as 74 hz. The peerless goes a bit lower. (F3=56 hz in a .45 cu-ft box.)

Crossing either that high may be a little bit questionable, but I've done it with the Peerless, and like the results.

Comment

i wasn't all that concerned with the low end . the RS180P does not dig deep ! if you look tha f3 @ 74hz is in a .28^3 box . i know these play lower than that in my .5 box's . my concern was with the top end and it's looking like a 4000 cross may just be too much for this woofer . now considering ( with parts i have on hand ) a RS225 , RS125P , NeoCD1.0 3 way ....
          Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

How old is the RS125P? I bought one when they first came out, and the response is a mess. They later improved the response. Recently, I used my old one as a mid, and it sounds decent, but I had to cross below 2k.

Comment

yeah same here . two builds both below 1900 ....
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

Hello

I have the RS180Ps in Curt Campbell's "Slapshot" MTM speakers, and they go deep enough for almost all of our music, so much so that I can happily turn the sub off. I don't know the crossover point, but. I don't know the F3 but it must be in the low 50s at least, possibly lower.

They're marvellous speakers!

Geoff

Comment

still thinking about this guys . i really like the way this NeoCD1.0 measures and sounds 4th order @ 4k . i have been looking at all kinds of mids and they all seem like they'd be pushed crossed that high . i'm open to some suggestions . maybe a dome mid or something ? i have both RS225 and RS225P that could be used on the bottom end .

what say you ?
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                    still thinking about this guys . i really like the way this NeoCD1.0 measures and sounds 4th order @ 4k . i have been looking at all kinds of mids and they all seem like they'd be pushed crossed that high.
                    I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you provide an example?

Comment

i have it currently crossed to a 5" mid one octave before breakup and that close the breakup is audible and gets sounding bad at high levels . just about every 4-5 " mid i've looked at puts breakup at about same spot .
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

What about going with a 3 way, doing an mtm with a small mid like a tc9 or tc6?

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                          What about going with a 3 way, doing an mtm with a small mid like a tc9 or tc6?

been leaning three way as for me two ways just can't produce the output i like . i do have a pair of DS90's and have given it some thought though not in a MTM config . i like that idea .
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

I’m definitely no expert but I was thinking it might match the dispersion better of the ribbon. I did a cd1.0 with a scan 10f and keep thinking I wish I went mtm (with a cheaper mid of course).

Comment

and a pair would increase the sensitivity and almost match the Neo perfect ! good idea , thanks ...
                              Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

Working...
                              X