Any other not so obvious benefits using 2 identical drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other not so obvious benefits using 2 identical drivers

So aside from gaining 3db wiring 2 drivers in parallel what else do you gain besides 3db and larger box
    On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

You gain 6db in parallel. You also gain lower distortion, higher total output capability, and more come area go more impact.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Where voltage sensitivity and maximum output is concerned you get 6dB, not 3dB. Using two smaller vertically aligned drivers rather than one larger driver with the same Vd also gets you wider horizontal dispersion and potentially better high frequency extension as well.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
        So aside from gaining 3db wiring 2 drivers in parallel what else do you gain besides 3db and larger box

I asked the same a few years ago, and the experts said:

gain 3 dB with the doubled surface area
        gain 3 dB with the halved impedance.

Speaker Building 201 covers a bunch of different configurations with multiple woofers. Highly recommended.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

My two driver are 4ohm. So that would put me at 2 ohm. So series might be the way igo. But i only get 3db gain in series correct. And 8ohm instead
          On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

You will gain 3db in db/watt. You will be at the same level db/volt. So it will seem the same loudness as one driver, but at 8 ohms you can turn up the 'volume' higher without bothering your amp(less distortion from less cone excursion, and less current gives less distortion with most amps).
            Run 2 ohms only with amps with big power supplies and heatsinks- test, don't trust ratings.

Comment

With two identical drivers, you also help fill in the floor bounce notch, somewhat. Three would be even better in this regards.

Comment

Working...
              X