What commercial speakers do you own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What commercial speakers do you own?

Just curious what you folks have parted your hard earned money on. Also it would be nice to know if your last commercial purchase was before you started building your own or since?

Me first

I currently only own Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 using Seas and Scan-Speak drivers.

Me Future:

I am looking at the Key LS50. I like having a sanity check if nothing else

Not a one. And haven't bought a commercial product in over 25 years. Save the occasional garage sale find and then only to flip
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Mostly older, vintage stuff I pick up through friends or buy used. I have a pair of Optimus Pro-X7's I bought when I was very young. I'd buy a new pair of low priced speakers to modify/gift away when I'm done.

Comment

I bought JBL LSR305s for my gf. Very nice for the price, she loves them! My DIY speakers are uhm, somewhat larger than those...
        Last edited by fpitas; 01-24-2018, 05:56 PM.
        Francis

Comment

Kef Coda 8 (Great - Bass a bit loose though)
          Dynaudio Contour 1.3se (Dull)
          Dynaudio Audience 50 (Still dull - Don't ask)
          Epos ES11 (Amazing nearfield but slow boomy bass farfield)
          Naim SBL (Did nothing for me)
          Mission 731i (Great sound for a budget speaker)
          Royd Minstrel (Excellent for size but treble a touch OTT)
          Linn Kan mk2 (Clean, fast and detailed but seriously lacking bass - Great with a subwoofer)
          JPW AP2 (Very good midrange, bass Is very tight but a little one-note, treble nice and detailed)
          Mission M70 (Not bad but a touch dull in the midrange)
          Mission 702E (Quite forward and rough In the midrange when turned up)

Last speaker I owned before building my own - ProAc Studio 100 (Nice creamy midrange, bass a touch loose and treble a bit rough)

Comment

I think the last pair I bought were a Heathkit AS-16. Not really hifi by today's standards, but ok for background noise in the garage. Before that were some old Realistic speakers, but only to rebuild them with newer better guts and restore the nice walnut veneer.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Logitech 6.1 surround for pc use
              Long time ago. As a teenager.

Comment

Interdyn "Pee Wee" monitors, which I bought about 25 years ago. "Interdyn" was an Australian brand from Alex Encel, the pioneer of hi fi in Australia.

Interdyn speakers used SES and Fostex drivers and for their time were much better than the average commercial fare, such as B++e and P++k.

The Pee Wees have a SEAS tweeter, Fostex 4" mid, and boast a first order crossover (!). No real bass of course, so we used them with a sub. Replaced with Curt Campbell's "Slapshots", which are fabulous.

Geoff

Comment

Refurbished Infinity R152 and 162., essentially low priced versions of Revel speakers with similar waveguides. . Nice details in the mid and high.

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot...itys-high.html

Comment

I don't own any commercial speakers. The last I bought were a pair of 10" two-way at Lafayette Radio in 1973. I bought them because I was touring with a band and didn't have a workshop where I could build some.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

This is the list of what I have had over the years
                      minimus 7
                      tannoy f1 custom,vr
                      wharfedale diamond 9.0, 10.0, 10.1
                      pioneer sp-bs22-lr
                      micca mb42
                      mission m30, m31i, ms50, mxs,m70,m71
                      denon sc-m51, sc-m38
                      paradigm atom v5,v6,v7
                      Cambridge audio s30
                      mordaunt short carnivals
                      baby advent II
                      monitor audio br1
                      psb alpha b1
                      q acoustics 2010i
                      thats all I can remember
                      Last edited by Jake; 01-25-2018, 09:11 PM. Reason: Thought of another

Comment

Mordaunt-Short MS 3.2s (serve as surrounds) and Mission 751s (front speakers). The former are 27 years old, the latter 25. I'll be redoing the x-overs for the 3.2s shortly. For the computer's sound system, a Logitech X530 system with the sub replaced with a DIY creation of my own and the amp moved to its own little box.
                        Brian Steele
                        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Had too many to list over the years. Commercial offerings still sitting around the house while others have come and gone; two pairs of NT 2.5i's, Carver ALIII's, NHT Super Zeros, and Apogee Acoustics Caliper Sigs. I don't care if the Caliper Sigs need a bass panel replaced, they, and my diy 'not a khanspire ...', will be the last to leave, in other words ... never!
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Had Magnepans 3.6R. Sold. Everything is homemade now.
                            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                              Had Magnepans 3.6R. Sold. Everything is homemade now.
                              Those maggies are fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X