What commercial speakers do you own?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dld View Post
    I was using ncore 400's and those worked just fine with the LS50's. I forgot I have usher be-718 that were a reference before the LS50. The be-718's were bettered by Jkims hds/8945p in head to head competition. The be-718's are headed to my mom
    Nothing but the best for mom eh?

Maybe try tweaking the XO before you send them off.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I've had many commercial speakers of the years. Today I still have a pair of Dalhquist DQ-10's w/ a pair W1's and an LP-1 cross-over, a pair of Polk Audio SDA 3C's. I believe that's the model.... anyway they are in mint condition and only have ~15 hrs. on them since I received them 10+ yrs. ago. Finally, a 2-way pair of Ohm speakers in the shop. All my listening over the last 10-12 yrs has been on DIY, man cave, HT room and living room.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ® View Post

Nothing but the best for mom eh?

Maybe try tweaking the XO before you send them off.
        I'm quite sure the Be-718's are good enough for my mom, they're really pretty good. I had planned to tweak the crossover but my skills have not progressed to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by DearSX View Post
          I have the Beringer Truth 8" monitors. I like them for parties, not very bassy but decent.

Kef LS50: They tend to disappear when on Netflix. Music is nice too, but I think I'm getting the most out of them. I don't "feel" them as much as I would like. I like about about as much as my Satori Adelphos at this point, but again I think I can get more out of them both. I've heard them sound better in the store. I need to experiment with them both more. I also like dld them to compare to other DIY and commercial designs. Paid $1000 for mine on sale. I don't regret buying them, but I'm still looking for the holy grail.
          If I end up getting pair of LS50s I may splurge for the active version. It sounds like the front end matters with these speakers and I just don’t have the front end to support them. They also have some very nifty features that make them intriguing.

Comment

I like hitting the thrift shops for projects. One time, I found an AAD C-660. Just one. For 15 bucks, I thought why not. Thought I could use the parts out of it. Wanted to get some specs of the drivers from AAD and of course they refused, but they did have a "spare" C-660 sitting in the back of the warehouse and they would sell that to me for a price much less than what it retailed for. I got it. Very nice sounding speakers IMO for the price. All of my other speakers were made by me.

Comment

So......I modify or use my own design. True DIY.
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

KEF Q100...which will eventually be replaced.
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Polk 10B
                  Kef Reference 102
                  JBL L100T
                  Ryan MCL1
                  Morel Duet
                  Last edited by speekerbldr; 01-27-2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Dynaco A35's driven nicely by a Marantz 2230. Still nice after all these years. Wish I could find a reasonably priced source of R to R blank tape, to complete a 70's hi fi system (have a working AR turntable and a stack of vinyl).

Comment

Oh yeah my then gf, future exwife had Dynaco A50s. Wish she hadn't given those away.

Comment

I have a pair of JBL L36's. They need some work, but I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                          KEF Q100...which will eventually be replaced.
                          ​They sounded pretty good if they are the ones you brought to Brooklyn.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

If I end up getting pair of LS50s I may splurge for the active version. It sounds like the front end matters with these speakers and I just don’t have the front end to support them. They also have some very nifty features that make them intriguing.
                            ​Considering the amount of hours I spend learning about speakers I would not regret splurging on the powered versions, I paid $1000 on these thinking I want to spend more time listening and less time thinking. Now I feel more relaxed about my next DIY project, a speaker to gift to my mother in law.

Comment

Originally posted by DearSX View Post

​Considering the amount of hours I spend learning about speakers I would not regret splurging on the powered versions, I paid $1000 on these thinking I want to spend more time listening and less time thinking. Now I feel more relaxed about my next DIY project, a speaker to gift to my mother in law.
                              My only issue with powered speakers is it cuts into my gear hoarding. Having to justify why I have more than a dozen amps.

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post

My only issue with powered speakers is it cuts into my gear hoarding. Having to justify why I have more than a dozen amps.
                                Right. That's part of the reason I bought the regular version. $800-900 buys some nice gear that can be used for other speakers/gear.

You could get the ls50, a great diy speaker kit and a decent amp for $2200

Comment

Working...
                                X