Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tang Band W5 2053 with Fountek FR58EX 2 way. Help, please

Hi Gents,

I have decided to go ahead with the above combination in a 6L build similar to, but a bit smaller than Javad's Microfarad V2. I already have the Founteks on hand and will order the TBs today or tomorrow. I'm hoping someone can let me know what inductors and caps to order which would be a good starting point for the crossover. PE tech support, for a 300Hz crossover point, suggested a 33uF cap and an 8.5 mH coil for the high pass and a 66uF cap and 4.2 mH coil for the low pass but these values are awfully far from what were used in either the Microfarads V1 or V2. I realize that any guidance as to what parts to buy would be quite approximate, but I'm not looking for a perfectionistic, optimally flat, frequency response, more of a " wow that little speaker is impressive " reaction.
    Any input regarding this project before I order the parts will be greatly appreciated, including guidance on issues other than what to order. At this point the only things I'm committed to are the drivers; volume crossover point, etc. are only my newbe guestimates as to what might work well in a design like this.

Best,
    Jay

Crossing low can be tricky. A simple cap, and coil is probably not optimum. Adding an LCR to the woofer filter will help a great deal, but will add to the cost and size of the x-over. If you can measure, then you can get good results. If not, then its just luck, and trial and error. There are some buyout coils you might consider. Buy cheap electrolytic caps for experimenting. Get a few better caps in 4uf, and 12uf values. By better, I mean $6 or so, not exotic caps. You will also need resistors.

My WAG for the Fountek would be 80uf and 4mH (high dcr) . For the TB, 3mH (low dcr) and 50uf. (Get some extra 33uf, 50uf, and 100uf electrolytics, you may need more than 50uf, but the impedance may drop to 2 ohms.) If you want to add the LCR, 5mH, 600uf, and some resistance. Buy a coil with very high DCR for the LCR. Other resistors will be needed. I'd get a few of these sizes. 2,4,6,8,10,16 ohms.

These are just wild guesses. Your x-over may end up below 3 ohms depending on what you actually do. It would be a good idea to use an amp that is bullet proof. A sim would be a good idea before getting in too deep, but if you plan to build more speakers in the future, it's nice to have parts on hand. I probably have $500 worth.

Coils that I use a lot .1mH, .2mH, .3mH, .6mH, and .8mH, or values that are close to these.
    Last edited by rpb; 01-27-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Do you mean 0.6 liter ?? (That would be closer.) And, looks like you'll need a PR to tune it (if you can).

Comment

Try fitting that driver into 0.6 ltrs... It doesn't!
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Using a 6.75 x 10.25 inch baffle here are a few ideas. As with all these sims, the SPL match is probably wrong.

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Hey Wolf . . . my bad. Looks ok to me (now!) in .2cf tuned near mid 30s? (Musta had SOMEthing hosed up there.)
            John's 2nd (notched) XO looks pretty good too !

Comment

Out of curiosity, why is the impedance so high? It's only dropping to about nine ohms between one and two hundred hertz.

Comment

My sim shows closer to 8. Maybe John traced the curves w/the limits slightly off?

Comment

Okay, that just seems really high for a four ohm driver.

Comment

Yeah . . . I guess.
                    TB shows a solid 6ohms in that valley from 100-200Hz on their spec sheet (unless they've got the impedance axis labeled incorrectly?). MAYbe they get their Re value (3.6n) from the foundation BELOW the Fs, maybe below 20Hz even (so it doesn't show on their graph)?

Have you used this driver, Ben? If so; take any T/S parms of it??

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                      Using a 6.75 x 10.25 inch baffle here are a few ideas. As with all these sims, the SPL match is probably wrong.
                      I'm curious what a sim using my WAG values would look like? Can you post a sim, or the files you used?

Comment

Re should be the DC resistance so it's not on the graph. Any possibility you and John both traced the graph with the impedance scale set to linear instead of log base 10? Using the log scale I get a minimum of 5.6 ohms in the valley versus 7.7 with SPL copy set to linear. But yeah, it does have a high impedance for a four ohm driver.

Comment

Nope, I've not used it, but I know how big the driver is physically.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all the input Gents. Before I posted this request for help I had modeled the TB W5 2053 using WinISD in a 6.5L box with two 5.5" passives with 40 grams each added. The F3 obtained was 32Hz which seemed pretty darn good to me. The cabinet I have planned to build was, for aesthetic reasons, 7.5" wide X 11.5" tall X 8.5" deep, which gave a volume of 6.88L and I subtracted .38L for the woofer displacement.
                            Unless I get input suggesting that it would be a mistake, I am going to place an order for the TB W5s tomorrow before they sell out and also for some 5 and 4 mH inductors and enough other bargain stuff to get to the $10 off size order. I hope these turn out well, we will see.
                            Thanks again,
                            Jay

Comment

Here's the TB graph and the notched sim. The imp trace does seem off a bit, still pretty close. Measured response would be better. 4thtry Bill S probably has the zma from his Plumber Delight build.
                              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X