Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpb...added an L pad

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

[QUOTE=jhollander;n1362659]rpb...added an L pad

Thanks. Well, the FR58 did about what I wanted, but the W5 is way off. Impedance is too low as well, as I suspected. If I can talk you into one more sim, what would it look like if the 3mH coil is changed to about 9mH, and an LCR added to reduce the humped up midbass? For the LCR use something like 5mH, 600uf, and 6 ohms. Actually, I'm just curious to see how much more involved the x-over would be if crossed at 300hz, or so. The 9mH coil should help a little bit with the impedance I assume.

Comment

rpb, I threw a lot of resistors and a cap at your wag and got this. Note that my impedance file doesn't match John H's and that the coil on the fountek needs a dcr of 2 ohms or so or else things get lumpy in the mids. It actually has a reverse null at a little over 300 Hz. I think it's pretty good for a wag lol.

Comment

A sim DOES show an impedance min dropping below 3n(ohms) near 300Hz on John's latest (3rd - w/L-pad) XO design.
          I'd prefer his 2nd iteration; the 2nd order one w/the FR "notch".

Comment

If you look at his post where he is showing tb's graph and the impedance curve in xsim they look the same, but they shouldn't because tb's graph has the impedance on a log scale and xsim's is on a linear scale. If he traced the graph using a linear scale setting it would cause the impedance minima to be higher because of the way the numbers bunch up at the bottom of the log scale.

Comment

Yup. The values don't jive at all around 10ohms and 20ohms.
              Still, the sim is probably pretty close 'cause the woofer is not crossing up in those areas.
              MY "fptrace"'d .zma file is good, and his XO still looks good.
              (fptrace was given to us by PETT user "fprawn" a few yrs back)

Comment

Okay, I knew something looked off, it just took me awhile to figure out what. It hadn't even occurred to me that tracer programs would have a problem with log scales vs linear scales till this thread.
                Thank you for answering my questions, I'm happy to have learned something and I'm glad it won't really affect his Sim.

Comment

The parts are ordered for the sim posted by John H in post #15. Hopefully they will sound good, even though the planned cabinet dimensions are slightly different. If the baffle size (7,5" W X 11.5" T) makes a significant difference in the frequency response, I'm hoping that, with expert guidance, small adjustments in some of the crossover values will fix things. I really want to have a little wood showing on each side of the TB and not have the speaker have too squat an appearance. It might look pretty cool with both drivers having a truncated square shape. I was torn as to whether to order 2 or 4 of the TB 2053s but I think if the speakers sound really, really good, I'll be able to get more even if I have to pay a premium price, so I went with one pair so as to not overload the budget.

Many Thanks to All, the knowledge and help here are great.

Jay

Comment

I measured the T/S values on my pair of W5-2053's in free air, with DATS V2, when I was building the Plumbers Delight speakers. I will go get the screen shots & zma's and post them tomorrow. They are on a difference computer drive. Bill
                    Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                    Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
                    Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

W5-2053 in 3 liter ported box.zma
                      W5-2053 marked A Impedance.zma
                      W5-2053 marked B Impedance.zma

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                      Here's the TB graph and the notched sim. The imp trace does seem off a bit, still pretty close. Measured response would be better. 4thtry Bill S probably has the zma from his Plumber Delight build.
                      Here you go John. I know I measured them, but after searching around a while, I could not find my original DATS V2 tzz TS files. But I was curious as to how they would measure after break-in, so I pulled the drivers out of the boxes and re-measured them. I played music at a moderate level for about 1/2 hour to warm the voice coils up a little before each measurement. See attachments. I have also included the zma file of one woofer mounted in my 3 liter box with the 26" x 1.6" ID port installed.

Just saw the sale price of 41 bucks. And still in stock. too. Will have to grab another set before they are gone!
                      Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                      Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
                      Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

Updated with new impedance file. Thought I posted this...
                        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

John H, DrJay posted that he already ordered the parts for your previous crossover. How does this look as an alternative use of the parts he is getting? Xsim is showing that the fountek will only see two watts with a forty watt input and unibox is showing less than 2mm of excursion at that power in .3L.

Comment

James, you would want to listen to it. My preference would be to push the TB break up down. Also note the Fountek needs a box, so the infinite baffle roll off you are using is probably not accurate.
                            John H

Comment

Good point about the roll off, I hadn't thought about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X