Builds with high sensitivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builds with high sensitivity?

I am pondering my next build to be a little higher sensitivity. Not super 100db stuff but perhaps between 90 and 95db.
    I like to tinker with amplifiers and a lot of the DIY stuff is lower power. I had some 93db sensitive MTM speakers and they ran off of a hamster in a wheel I put together.

Aside from that a full range (down to the 30-40hz range) would be great and must get the midrange right.

I am open on $$ but the more $$ the longer the wait

DIYSG has lots of high sensitivity kits, more than any other source I know of.

I built these for my Dynaco tube amp 17 watts per.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Singularity_1.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      DIYSG has lots of high sensitivity kits, more than any other source I know of.

I built these for my Dynaco tube amp 17 watts per.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Singularity_1.html
      Thank you! I had a Dynaco ST-35 and ST-70. Super fun to play with and they can sound great too.

Comment

Look for JaWS over in the Gallery sector. Steve and I just finished an MTM.
        About 100dB, and good to about 60Hz or so.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hello

What's your budget, music taste, room size, etc?

There are quite a few MTM designs which would give you that sensitivity and sound quality, including some from the good people here on PETT. To date, I've built two sets of MTM speakers, although another is on my to do' list. These are Ron E's "C-notes" (not the PE kit), which use Peerless mid woofers and VIFA tweeters, they're written up in PETT. They scored extremely well in a 'Best Iron Driver' contest, I think they're about 90dB.

The first pair, with which we're delighted, are Curt Campbell's 'Slapshot' MTMs which feature two RS180Ps and a Morel CAT 378. These have a stated efficiency of 90dB 2.83v 1m) and FR of 40-20k (plus or minus 2dB). This doesn't tell you how good they sound: which is marvellous, with, in particular, a really natural and refined midrange. On most of our recordings (pop/rock, jazz and classical) we leave the sub woofer off.

We drive these with an old Yamaha RX 596, which is stated as 80w RMS at 0.1% THD, and produces more than sufficient output. Have also tried them with a DTA-120 (60W into 4 ohms with 1% THD) and they still shine.

The second pair of MTMs, also by Mr Campbell, are the Tritrix MTM (vented version) with which we're also extremely pleased; not sure about the efficiency. The TL version has better bass extension than the vented; Curt's write up indicates a maximum SPL of 104dB. Also, the Tritrix are 8 ohms, whereas most MTMs are 4 or 6 ohms, I think.

I'm sure many other people will chip in

Geoff
          Last edited by Geoff Millar; 01-28-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I've been thinking of a large 3-way for use with my low power First Watt clones (about 25 watts). Looking for 92-95db, 8ohm, and get to 35hz. Has anyone used the B&C 15BG100? Looks like it would work well as the woofer in a large 3-way.

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
              I've been thinking of a large 3-way for use with my low power First Watt clones (about 25 watts). Looking for 92-95db, 8ohm, and get to 35hz. Has anyone used the B&C 15BG100? Looks like it would work well as the woofer in a large 3-way.
              About the specs I am looking for also.

Comment

I am planning a compact "high sensitivity" build, but the bass will come up short. But that is a necessary compromise for me [that will be made up for with DSP). The midbass-on-up should be nice and loud at about 92-93ish dB/1W/1m. I picked up these midbasses, that I might use. Time will tell. I'm also looking at some B&C drivers to compare as well. Power will be by way of a Peavey IPR2 7500 in stereo mode.

Comment

Look at the satori drivers; the new 5" mids and 7.5" in parallel will get you there. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

hey dld did you ever land on a design for some speakers to pair with a low power amp? I was also thinking of a First Watt clone, but more like Amp Camp Amp. Or a tube amp!

Comment

What is the benefit of having a very high sensitivity? Is that the same as efficiency? Also, Guitar Maestro, those are some sexy drivers. Good eye.

Comment

Originally posted by BTRaulerson View Post
                        What is the benefit of having a very high sensitivity? Is that the same as efficiency?
                        It is in a roundabout way. Sensitivity is output in dB relative to a given voltage input. Efficiency is acoustical watts output relative to a given electrical watts input. If you see it stated that a speaker is, for instance, 90dB efficient, it's incorrect. Efficiency is a percentage figure. 90dB/2.83v sensitivity is roughly equivalent to 1% efficiency. For the most part speakers with higher sensitivity have higher efficiency, so that's the connection between the terms.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If I follow you, that should mean that tweeters are more efficient than mids, mids more than woofers, so on (generically speaking, of course). I'm guessing that's why resistors are used in crossovers to tame the tweeters. Tweeters at 100 watts would cut you where a woofer would just knock you around a bit. I think this is all starting to make sense to me.

Comment

BTRaulerson I'm looking for a high efficiency speaker setup to pair with an amp that has low output. The two amps I'm considering are kit amps. The Pass designed Amp Camp Amp ($327) at just 8watts per channel, and the Elekit TU-8100 ($217) at 2watts per channel. Elekit also has an TU-8800 but it's $1150 at 12.5watts per channel.

With a normal speaker, at only 2watts driving it, you could barely hear it! And by the time you could hear it, it would probably be diatorting like crazy.

Someone feel free to correct me here if I'm mistaken.

https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8800
                            https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8100
                            https://diyaudiostore.com/collection...=7072933085218

Comment

Originally posted by BTRaulerson View Post
                              If I follow you, that should mean that tweeters are more efficient than mids, mids more than woofers, so on (generically speaking, of course). I'm guessing that's why resistors are used in crossovers to tame the tweeters. .
                              Resistors are often used where tweeter and/or midrange sensitivity is higher than the woofer. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                              X