OT: but does involve waterproofing wood with titebond III

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: but does involve waterproofing wood with titebond III

I've got a wooden sign a friend painted for me to hang outdoors by the pool. It's not waterproofed and absorbs water - it won't last long with FL rains. I tried to coat a small section on the back and spar varnish will dissolve the paint, so that's out. Surely I could encapsulate with $60 worth of marine epoxy, but looking for a cheaper route. Could I coat it with Titebond III thinned with water? It dries pretty clear. Thoughts.

I wonder what kind of paint it has on it?

Comment

Use an exterior water based urethane. Whatever brand comes in a small can but most likely Minwax at the box stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
        Use an exterior water based urethane. Whatever brand comes in a small can but most likely Minwax at the box stores.
        This is what I'd do, too. Test a small area, and if compatible w/ the paint I'd spray the rest on.

Comment

Maybe Helmsmen Spar poly (Minwax) sprayed from a can . It is solvent base but maybe spraying with light coats would not affect the paint.

Comment

What type of wood? What type of paint?

Have you thought of sealing it with shellac prior to exterior grade urethane?

btw, test on scrap if possible.

Comment

I've used General Finishes' Exterior 450 Water Based Topcoat with good results outdoors. I spray it, but it can be brushed. It has UV absorbers and mold-reducing mildewcide in the formula for outdoor usage..
              Bill Schneider
              -+-+-+-+-
              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Spray on shellac then spray on polyurethane. Both should be around $10 each on Ama Zon.

Comment

Thanks all for the ideas. The sign was a gift so I don't know what kind of paint or finish was used. It looks like white pine. I think I'll try a water based urethane and test first on a small area.

Comment

Working...
                  X