Help with powered bluetooth speaker build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with powered bluetooth speaker build

I'm very new to speaker building so I'll apologize now for my lack of knowledge. I got hooked when I fired up my Overnight Sensations (and sat there for 4 hours listening to music) and, if it wasn't so weird, I'd send Paul Carmody one of those big edible arrangement to express my gratitude for how awesome those speaker sound. I then built the Overnight MTM and use it as a center channel with the Overnight Sensations for my home theater. Then I built his Classix IIs for listening to music. Again, amazing.

Anyhow, I would like to build a powered bluetooth speaker based on the Overnight MTM design. I bought the following amplifier (since discontinued):

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...tion--320-3519

My question is, this amplifier has stereo output but this will really function as a single speaker. So do i just pick oe of the speaker outputs and go into the MTM crossover design? I feel like this is going to be a bad idea because the music was recorded in stereo for a reason and this is going to lose that. Can you combine the outputs to make it "mono" and take the combined signal into the crossover? Again, I'm probably breaking many audio rules here but would greatly appreciate any help and info!!

Thank you!!!

If you just connect the OSMTM to one channel, you will miss part of the stereo signal. On some tracks if may sound OK, on others It will be obvious something is missing. Some digital amps can be bridged (combining the two channels into one). I have no idea if this is one. Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in. Another option would be go with a pair of the OS TMs rather than a single MTM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimHRB View Post
      If you just connect the OSMTM to one channel, you will miss part of the stereo signal. On some tracks if may sound OK, on others It will be obvious something is missing. Some digital amps can be bridged (combining the two channels into one). I have no idea if this is one. Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in. Another option would be go with a pair of the OS TMs rather than a single MTM.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to make the MTM work only because I already of the crossover bits. My one other thought was to build, similar to your suggestion, a pair of OS MTs and have them separate like an old school boombox. Or, can I build one cabinet that is essentially the two OS MTs connected and separated internally with the proper speaker volumes maintained. Not sure if that's a clear description or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt in DC View Post

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to make the MTM work only because I already of the crossover bits. My one other thought was to build, similar to your suggestion, a pair of OS MTs and have them separate like an old school boombox. Or, can I build one cabinet that is essentially the two OS MTs connected and separated internally with the proper speaker volumes maintained. Not sure if that's a clear description or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

That’s your best bet. Look up the Madeline build which is a Boombox with a pair of overnight sensation MTs separated into two subenclosures.
          +1

Not only is that close to what you are looking for, the level of detail of the build thread is great in terms of woodworking, wiring the electronics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Not only is that close to what you are looking for, the level of detail of the build thread is great in terms of woodworking, wiring the electronics, etc.
            Thanks!
            "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

+4 (add 1 to the others).

FYI: The Dayton Audio KAB 2 x 30W looks very silimar to your NLA JAB module. Many of the KAB's accesories may work with it (volume control, batteries, etc.). But there's no gurantee that revisions haven't altered things. YMMV (this is DIY after all).

Comment

+5 ..Gordy's write-up was exceptional. I built mine with the electronics inside the cabinets, and didn't use rechargeable batteries. My BT amp was a KAB 2X30, also. Be sure to order the LED kit and the kit that contains aux input and volume control. One more thing - you will need a socket for power in from your 19v brick. Yer gonna luv it.

Comment

Originally posted by scary View Post
                  +5 .... One more thing - you will need a socket for power in from your 19v brick. Yer gonna luv it.
                  I would change the Laptop plug to a 5.5mm DC plug and use the same 5.5mm jack in the boombox. The laptop rick plugs tend to be an odd size compared to small audio units. That will alolow you to upgrade to a 24 V stand brick in the future if you feel you need more output.

Comment

Just to throw something else into the mix, I've been eyeing Scott Sehlin's Helium Soundbar with thoughts of turning one into a boombox: http://projectgallery.parts-express....lium-soundbar/ I don't know anyone who's built it, but his Helium micro-monitor, upon which it's built, is a great success.

Comment

I am currently building a boombox where I am following the Madeleine build pretty closely but using Scott's Helium's rather than Overnight Sensations. I'll be posting pics and impressions when done, but unfortunately I am really slow.

Comment

The Helium is the perfect balance of SPL, full range, and compactness for a BT radio.

Originally posted by Matt Clara View Post
                        Just to throw something else into the mix, I've been eyeing Scott Sehlin's Helium Soundbar with thoughts of turning one into a boombox: http://projectgallery.parts-express....lium-soundbar/ I don't know anyone who's built it, but his Helium micro-monitor, upon which it's built, is a great success.
                        I know a guy....
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...85#post1299385
                        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                        X