Best around 100$ budget bookshelf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best around 100$ budget bookshelf?

For around 100 dollars are the C-Notes the best TM diy speakers for the money in that price range? I know there are others that could come in slightly cheaper. Cabrini Redux or Heliums maybe? The flatpacks give the C-Notes a big advantage. What are some other easy to build speakers in this range?

My Sophomores are/were about $100.
    My Synchaetas are about that as well, but don't go as low.
    Scott's Heliums and maybe even Lithiums.
    Craig's Jonquils might also fit, but barely.
    Mark65's Dadiels.
    JR definitely has some thrifty builds.

Later, Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Agreed, there are some great options in this bracket.

The C-Note flat packs make them a breeze to build, if you don't have space/tools/skillz to build from scratch.

Ed Henderson

Comment

If you just NEED speakers and are not necessarily looking for a project you can probable find some nice used commercial speakers for $100.

Comment

A little higher would be the Overnight Sensations with flat packs @ $138.

I don;t have them but I think the consensus is they'll have a better low end than the C-Notes.

Comment

Thanks to the pricing of the C-Note kit, not only can we not compete price-wise with the budget commercial stuff - PE has made sure we can't even compete with the budget DIY stuff.

I have said it before - this proliferation of kits and all of the rah rah rah surrounding them will effectively kill DIY as a casual or semi-serious hobby.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              Thanks to the pricing of the C-Note kit, not only can we not compete price-wise with the budget commercial stuff - PE has made sure we can't even compete with the budget DIY stuff.

I have said it before - this proliferation of kits and all of the rah rah rah surrounding them will effectively kill DIY as a casual or semi-serious hobby.
              Is this in reference to selling your own designs? I am sorry if I am a bit Sloooow.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

Is this in reference to selling your own designs? I am sorry if I am a bit Sloooow.
                Many of us build our own designs and not for sale. Many of us are concerned that kits will dampen creativity. New designers will not be born.
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I think it's a bit short-sighted to think that new designers won't happen. Sure, there may be some that are builders and don't design, but just because someone builds a kit does not mean that kit will not be the gateway drug that gets the ball rolling. Everybody starts somewhere...

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Gotcha. I guess from my perspective I have to agree with Wolf on this. I think if as a new buyer, your first attempt really SUCKS or you donít attempt it at all do to the perceived complexity, you may not even try.

I built continuums as my first go around but I am learning everyday and I have some enclosure ideas I want to try etc. I am interested in that stuff. So I will keep playing. Will I build more kits or someoneís design? Sure, will I try my own. Absolutely.

I really enjoy good quality music. So I will use some higher end drivers next time. But I prefer to have a successful attempt when I am spending 1k or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      I think it's a bit short-sighted to think that new designers won't happen. Sure, there may be some that are builders and don't design, but just because someone builds a kit does not mean that kit will not be the gateway drug that gets the ball rolling. Everybody starts somewhere...

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Agreed: I've built several projects by well known designers, love them, and this has encouraged me to have a go at designing a new crossover for a commercial kit which looks as if the crossover could be improved. Not 'my own design', but a start, and just to see if I can do it. Of course, PETT members have been helpful and friendly as usual.

If it sounds good, great, if it doesn't I've had some fun. So, using established designs/kits has drawn me deeper into this hobby: the limiting thing is the number of speakers I actually need. If my first effort had been my own design and sounded awful - and I'm sure it would have as I was going to use a pre made crossover - that would have totally put me off the hobby.

As to the $100 kit, if that helps people get into the hobby, isn't that a good thing?

Geoff

Comment

The Overnight Sensations were definitely a gateway drug for me. Then several small sub woofers, then a bunch of single driver designs and now some non-kit two ways. I think for a lot of folks a kit provides a positive DIY experience, with a sense of accomplishment and a pair of good sounding speakers to boot. I started with minimal woodworking ability, no decent tools and zero electronics experience. Without a kit to build some confidence I doubt I would have gotten "hooked".
                        For me, the learning and skill building components have been great rewards. This hobby has tremendous depth in that it takes years of knowledge and skill building work to approach mastery, and even those with decades of experience never "top out".

Comment

The years ago, the forum was swamped with people asking questions about design decisions - now? What kit should I build. Tis true, give it some thought.

I don't give a ****!t that my designs are not built - that is part of this. My ego is not invested in that. My self-worth is not dependant on followers. That PE or Meniscus or DIYSoundgroup or whoever isn't selling my sh!t? Whooptue doo. I remember when discourse here at PETT revolved around teaching people - do you?
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            I remember when discourse here at PETT revolved around teaching people - do you?
                            I read the forum every day and have been doing so for over a year and a half and I'm almost done with my first builds. (Ironically the C-notes, for my son, and a Helium boombox, for my daughter.) I see people teaching people every day, and in fact have been reading and learning from your posts and some of the other near-daily contributors ever since I got here.

But, note how many people show up with some questions about some drivers they have put together on paper and are going to throw in a box and the advice they get is "build a proven design". But that is the right advice most of time and Meniscus, DIYSG, etc. see an opportunity to make a profit and fill a void. I look forward to building, and learning, and building, and maybe one day will try to design my own. This forum is great and I learn something everyday.

Comment

I believe the C-Notes are sold at a loss, which kind of makes it hard to compare to any other DIYer's designs in terms of price alone.
                              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
                              X